The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
Timmy's girl
Got Wood.

LOL I was raised in Yokohama, Japan. Interesting article though... but there will always be conflict with this one just like what came first the chicken or the egg? My mom being Korean does use some in her cooking on very rare occasions because of the underlying possible side effects (headache, swelling). After a little of reading and research of my own and that fact that MSG basically, a excitotoxin can aggravate diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's...no thanks. For Pete's sake we do not use specific Johnson and Johnson soaps on our son because they contain parabens which are known to be possible carcinogens.
Timmy's girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

The Food Channel did a show on MSG one time. I want to say there were 50 people test on site at the same time. 25 got MSG in their food an 25 didn't. There was a lady that was saying I got the MSG my head hurts it always hurts with MSG I know that I was given it. Well she was one of the 25 who didn't get MSG. I'm not saying people don't headaches, I'm just saying.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The links to neuro-degenerative conditions is far from proven and in fact, most medical papers suggest it is only a theoretical possibility. Further, the term excititoxin was coined specific to the argument that MSG and Aspartame are bad for people to eat. The interesting thing is that the two chemicals do not share a common chemical formulation and the only reason they are lumped together is that they are both considered to be exciting to the neurotransmitters in the human taste system.

All that being said, I am a believer that we should all eat what we choose and should not be forced to believe that one dietary belief is superior to another. The basic chemical formulation of glutamate has been a part of my families diet for a very long time, spanning my families entire history, being that we have eaten high glutamate foods for as long as Japanese have eaten food from the sea. Like fat, sugar and alcohol, I choose to partake, but, recognize that too much of any of that will kill a person.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It will, but, why would you care how what your rabbits are eating tastes? Do your rabbits get headaches?
Don't see what any of this has to do with Madison Square Garden.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
bigabyte

Just wait...it won't be long before they tell us we need more MSG in our diets.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #21
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Just wait...it won't be long before they tell us we need more MSG in our diets.
Funny as hell, Chris, but so true!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers and Grizzly Coolers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #22
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Good read, thanks for posting!
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
landarc

There were studies in the 1960's that indicated that small doses were actually beneficial to eye sight and there were improvements for degenerative nervous disorders. It all came down to dosages.

If you eat 25% of your body weight of MSG, it can in fact very quickly damage your organs and over-excite your nervous system. If you are force fed 50%, why you will almost certainly die.

SSS

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The links to neuro-degenerative conditions is far from proven and in fact, most medical papers suggest it is only a theoretical possibility. Further, the term excititoxin was coined specific to the argument that MSG and Aspartame are bad for people to eat. The interesting thing is that the two chemicals do not share a common chemical formulation and the only reason they are lumped together is that they are both considered to be exciting to the neurotransmitters in the human taste system.

All that being said, I am a believer that we should all eat what we choose and should not be forced to believe that one dietary belief is superior to another. The basic chemical formulation of glutamate has been a part of my families diet for a very long time, spanning my families entire history, being that we have eaten high glutamate foods for as long as Japanese have eaten food from the sea. Like fat, sugar and alcohol, I choose to partake, but, recognize that too much of any of that will kill a person.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

Great post. Thanks for the informative post. I've used Accent in my basic bbq rub for years now, my wife always gets a headache but I'm not sure if it's the MSG or her husband.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Yep... MSG, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Phosphates are utilized all the time to produce more intense and juicier products. Just look at most major injection mixes.
It seems to me that according to the media, everything kills us but especially so if overused or abused. For me, i'll keep it in moderation and enjoy the juicy, flavorful benefits that make life a little more enjoyable. What's the use of living forever if you don't enjoy it?
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

As with everything else, all things in moderation. MSG is no exception.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
JD McGee

QUOTE=landarc;1550265]I love konbu. In fact, I just had an incredible soup that I believe was a combination of konbu, katsuoboshi and tonkotsu, loaded with glutamates. Sea algae, dried bonito and pork broth. Yum![/QUOTE]

I had the very same soup...no headache...only delighted tastebuds!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
thomasjurisd
Full Fledged Farker

Everything in moderation. Having said that, concluding that MSG is not bad for you because a population segment injests it in large quantities over an extended period is not a valid argument. Hey, alot of people in Japan smoke two packs a day but I don't think anyone would seriously conclude that cigarettes are not bad for your health. If you disagree, there's a bunch of great hunting land in Chernobyl, Ukraine which is wide open for the taking...

Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
landarc

I might take some of that land in Chernobyl for free.

Actually, I think the argument goes both ways, inferring that a vary small population of people have a very real reaction to MSG, based upon non-blind studies is not reason enough to infer that the ingredient is bad for you either.

I would point out, that I tend to eat organic as much as possible, as a side effect of this, I tend to avoid foods that have MSG, not because of the risks of MSG, but, because of a personal belief that local and organic food is better for both my taste preference, my political beliefs and what I consider to be a problem with how large agriculture is pursued. I do eat a lot of glutamate however, since I tend to use things such as fish sauce, konbu, dairy and soy sauce, which are sources for non-sodium stabilize glutamic acids.

SSS