MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Failed Brisket (problem solving)

Hey all, just wanted to share my by far worst failure. I tried a new recipe yesterday I screwed it up some way.

I started out with a 11-12 packer, trimmed it, injected with Kosmos, used Bovine bold as the rub, put her in at 250, the smoker DID climb to 280 at times, in 4 hours it was 160-170. I then put it in an alum pan with .25 inches of beef broth and covered it. At this point in the next 6 hours it only got to 190. The recipe I was following suggested it would take about 3 hours to get to 195 and i wasnt there in 6! I pulled it cause it was getting late.

Now, i never got to let it rest or anything and this pick is actually from today after it was in the fridge but it was damn dry.

Just wondering where exactly did I go wrong?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's a weird one for sure. Was it also tough? If so, my vote is it did not get done. You might also check your thermo.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
jmcphail
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

A rule of thumb as I understand it ( and I'm wrong about many things, someone correct me here )

- tough and moist = underdone
- tough and dry = overdone
- tender and dry = overdone
- tender and moist = just right

So I guess the question is whether it was tender?

Two weeks ago I had a packer sit in the stall for EIGHT hours. It ended up good, but it made me remember why I like hot and fast.
jmcphail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

It looks like its cured or enhanced?? Forget the injection just simple rub and smoke it up. I like to smoke in the 275-300 range.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

If you sliced it without resting it the juices are probably all over the the cutting board. This would make it pretty dry.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

I just didnt understand why I couldnt get the temp up. It was pretty strange, I was afraid to pull it if it was only in the 180s..

Guess Ill go back to the old method

Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

answers are in a poll form here

thisn has been resolved many times

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=poll

Old 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

hmmm....if you don't have a high dollar thermo I'd boil some water and check it to see if it's readin right. I never pulled a brisket till I could get the thermo in and out like butter. I do check temp just to see where I'm at with it. More often than not I hit the stall and then it gets foil to break the stall. I used to go by temp at finish and back then I pulled, wrapped and rested in a cooler @ 195. Goin by your awesome list of rigs you sure can't fault the equipment. Sure is a head scratcher. Is the brisket salvageable?
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishiest1 View Post
Hey all, just wanted to share my by far worst failure. I tried a new recipe yesterday I screwed it up some way.

I started out with a 11-12 packer, trimmed it, injected with Kosmos, used Bovine bold as the rub, put her in at 250, the smoker DID climb to 280 at times, in 4 hours it was 160-170. I then put it in an alum pan with .25 inches of beef broth and covered it. At this point in the next 6 hours it only got to 190. The recipe I was following suggested it would take about 3 hours to get to 195 and i wasnt there in 6! I pulled it cause it was getting late.

Now, i never got to let it rest or anything and this pick is actually from today after it was in the fridge but it was damn dry.

Just wondering where exactly did I go wrong?

I've seen this before. It's an issue with your BWS. Pack it up and send it to Gore. He'll run a number of tests on it, and if he deems there's a problem, he'll safely dispose of it for you. He's that kinda guy.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo View Post
hmmm....if you don't have a high dollar thermo I'd boil some water and check it to see if it's readin right. I never pulled a brisket till I could get the thermo in and out like butter. I do check temp just to see where I'm at with it. More often than not I hit the stall and then it gets foil to break the stall. I used to go by temp at finish and back then I pulled, wrapped and rested in a cooler @ 195. Goin by your awesome list of rigs you sure can't fault the equipment. Sure is a head scratcher. Is the brisket salvageable?
I was using a stoker and then a thermo.

In the past Ive had good luck with brisket this was just a new method I was trying in which I obviously suck at!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

You didn't say, and I can't tell by the pic....so did you cook it til it was tender? Not sure, but it sounds like it was one of those rare briskets that refuse to get tender before drying out, regardless of the method used.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Just a couple thoughts.
  • Check your thermometers for accuracy
  • I think it was under-done 10+- hours @ 250 seems a little light
  • Were you using a water pan?
  • You must must let it rest.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
You didn't say, and I can't tell by the pic....so did you cook it til it was tender? Not sure, but it sounds like it was one of those rare briskets that refuse to get tender before drying out, regardless of the method used.

It was pretty tender I thought but not like a butt if that makes sense.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Could you slide a probe in with "like butta" resistance?

Lately I've been padding cook times with few hours. Resting for several hours is not only ok but it's a good thing.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote