ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Almost Lost Everything Brethren. EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Brethren I had a very close call yesterday. I made a bad mistake and just want to post this here so that hopefully someone will learn from it. I almost burned up my Dad's entire 10 acres of land.

It was a mistake I made while using the stickburner that some of you have seen the posts about the modifications I've been making to it.

I know alot of you preheat your wood by sitting it on top of the firebox. If you continue to do this PLEASE do not leave the pit unattended. That is what I did. I went inside to prep some chicken, and when I came out there was a grass fire and it was spreading fast. The wood on top of the firebox had ignited fell of and caught the grass on fire. There are a lot of unnecessary details in between that I will leave out, but long story short about two hours and a bunch of help from the fire department later we had about three acres of this.uploadfromtaptalk1297612267778.jpg

Thank the good Lord no one was hurt and no real damage was done, but I cannot stress this enough unless you are using a pit that is meant to be left unattended or unless you have taken all precautions possible, just don't do it. It probably would not have happened if my firebox had a flat top on it, instead of this.uploadfromtaptalk1297612587985.jpg

I did cook a bunch of food and bring it to the firefighters yesterday, but that will be in another post.

I'm not saying that any of you would have made the mistake that I did, but this was very very close. Another 5-10 minutes and I don't know if we could have stopped it from reaching the house.

Please be careful Brethren. Thats all I'm saying.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm glad it turned out like it did. Your words are sound advice that everyone needs to listen to.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Thank god everyone is ok, Thanx for the heads up as we all become, a little careless until a disaster happens lol

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
thistle
Found some matches.

Wow, close call-I think all of us can learn from what happened to you. It's easy to get complacent & think that since you've been doing this awhile, that accidents won't happen, but they do-I'm just glad that you're ok & things didn't turn out any worse. My son just got his drivers license permit & he thinks he's got everything under control, but I keep stressing that accidents happen to everyone, even good drivers, & you just have to be prepared.
thistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Very glad it did not turn into a disaster. We all need to be careful.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
bassbuster33
On the road to being a farker

I am happy to hear that the fire was contained.

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Good thing your smoker was not set up a wood deck attached to the house! I like having mine on Concrete.

Glad no one got hurt! That was great taking the fireman food!

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Crazy thing is that I keep a big baking sheet pan full of water under the firebox. Guess it wasn't big enough.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Indeed. Just another reason I won't be trying remote cooking via a Stoker or Guru. Really gotta be on-site and alert when there's a fire going. Glad it wasn't worse, bro!

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
gtr

Downloads: 2

Dang! Glad it didn't lead to any injury or damage any structures. I'll be the firefighters are ultimately glad it happened though, seeing as how they got some good eats out of the deal.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
codger
Full Fledged Farker

Every once in a while it seems we all need to experience something that turns into a golden learning opportunity. It is indeed nice when comes along that no one is hurt, and or no real harm done. Thankfully yours turned out good on both accounts.
codger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

A good reminder for everyone. Thank goodness it was not worse. Thanks for the posting.

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
jemezspring
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry this happened but it is a good lesson for all of us who play with fire. Fire is dangerous. Last year I left the lid off my UDS trying to get the temps up fast for some steaks. I went inside to season and grab the steaks when my sister came over and we started talking. You know where I'm going with this, grease from the butt and chicken I had on earlier ignited and by the time I remembered that I left the lid off part off my back porch was smoking. Nothing like the scent of burning pressure treated lumber. No real damage but lesson learned. Respect fire.

Hope you did not get a citation or bill.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

wow! Im glad no one was hurt.

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker