• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My $250 kamado

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last week I posted a thread asking about Primo Kamados because I thought I found a great deal on a used one. It was used by the owner of a small grill store in town and he stopped using it after he switched to one of the pellet grills that he sells. I went back to the store to check it out again and when I took a closer look I realized it wasn't a Primo, but a Chinese knockoff, Comet Kamado. I wasn't really paying attention the first time I saw it and the lighting in the store store was really dim so the dark brown paint looked black, so I assumed it was a Primo. I was a bit discouraged when I realized it wasn't a Primo, but I looked it over and there were no cracks and it was all there, so I offered $250 and walked out with it. It's definitely got some QC issues and the fit and finish is nowhere near that of a BGE, but then again neither was the price. If everything works and it holds heat I'll be happy.

Unfortunately I can't cook on it until tomorrow night, so that's going to have to wait.

Did I throw away $250? Be honest guys, I can take it. :boxing:

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 237
I've never heard of that brand. Someone here probably has. It looks like it's in good shape, so you probably didn't throw away your money. You should try to verify what it is made of. A lot of the kamado cookers are clay and can't handle high heat.

$250 is a good price. Since your close enough and I am thawing some drummets I'll be over and use it since you can't!:becky:

Congrats on the aquisition.
Place off Indiana east of Tyler?

$250 is a good price. Since your close enough and I am thawing some drummets I'll be over and use it since you can't!:becky:

Congrats on the aquisition.
Place off Indiana east of Tyler?

Just make sure you save me a plate! :laugh:

I'm just hoping that the price is the redeeming factor here, I wouldn't pay retail for this thing, whatever it was. I don't have the money for a BGE since I'm moving soon but I've always wanted a kamado so I took a chance. We'll see how it pans out. I'm thinking tri-tip tomorrow night to get started.

Unless it explodes when you start using it, I'd say it's a good deal. :p

While some of the kamado style cookers are imported and QC issues, as far as I know all the ceramics cook very similarly.

I think you did good.

Cheers,
Braddog

Much cheaper than the Komodo I just bought.

:doh:

Hope it works out. :thumb:

OK, just got done with the first meal. I did a tri-tip and a whole chicken No pics, because we were starving and really it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The tri-tip came out a perfect medium, but was a bit oversmoked from the hickory chunks I threw in the coals. The chicken was very juicy despite being only given a quick brine for 45 minutes in a marinading tumbler. I still have a lot to learn about fire management on this thing, but I'm very happy with what I was able to do with it. I can't wait to really get the hang of this thing.

I was a little worried about the lid as it did not perfectly align with the bottom portion, but there was no heat smoke coming through the lid, so I guess it'll do.

Back