The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I have a dilemma... How do I eat healthy and still eat good BBQ

What do you guys do for sides when you are trying to cut carbs and eat healthier? I figure the bbq is bad enough so I don't need to keep making it worse by eating all kinds of sides that are awful for you too.

Unread 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Don't eat the sides!

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Slaw with a vinegar based dressing would be one thing you could do. Greens make great sides & can be healthy if prepared certain ways. Squash is also a tasty side if done with the right seasonings and healthy if you don't put a bunch of butter, brown sugar, etc...
Also, it's really hard to beat a good tomato.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
Don't eat the sides!
This is a viable approach.

Smaller portions too. Changing some of your ingredients also works.

They make these really thin burger buns know, which I think are great with pulled pork. Greek yogurt instead of mayo in slaw.

I'm looking forward to other people's responses...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I also have the same concerns. I am already on blood pressure medication. I limit how often I eat certain foods. Saturday nights are my night to eat whatever I want. I usually eat fairly healthy during the week and I work out regularly. I have to admit I slip occasionally but in general it works for me.

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Slaw with a vinegar based dressing would be one thing you could do. Greens make great sides & can be healthy if prepared certain ways. Squash is also a tasty side if done with the right seasonings and healthy if you don't put a bunch of butter, brown sugar, etc...
Also, it's really hard to beat a good tomato.
Tomato's are carbs.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Tomato's are carbs.

Dang! Well that's a bummer...

Lately, I've been limiting myself to one plate of food. Also plating up away from the table seems to help with portion control. If the stuff isn't sitting there in your face, you're less likely to eat it.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

so for squash what do you do to it to make it tasty without all the butter? I have found that I use butter as a crutch in most veggies.

Best Asparagus ever has melted butter and todds dirt on it thrown on the grill. I am thinking I can replace the butter with olive oil for alot of these things and get some improvement...

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaftt View Post
so for squash what do you do to it to make it tasty without all the butter? I have found that I use butter as a crutch in most veggies.

Best Asparagus ever has melted butter and todds dirt on it thrown on the grill. I am thinking I can replace the butter with olive oil for alot of these things and get some improvement...

Yes, olive oil is a great sub for butter. I use ginger in place of salt, often.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

My all time favorite side to eat with BBQ is a cucumber salad, it really seems to work well with smokey spicy meat. Just thinly slice a cucumber, some onion and mix it with low fat sour cream or fat free yogurt, red wine vinegar, salt/pepper. It’s super simple and really good.

Also, you could look at doing different kinds of beans, which are carbs, but complex carbs, and loaded with fiber and don’t get most people in trouble. You just have to start with dried beans, soak them overnight, drain and rinse them and pop them in a stock pot or slow cooker, cover by a couple of inches of water or stock and whatever other healthy ingredients you want. Cook until tender and you have a protein/fiber rich side with little to no cholesterol or fat

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
gtr

+1 on olive oil in place of butter. Could check out different types of chili powders/peppers for seasoning too.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
My all time favorite side to eat with BBQ is a cucumber salad, it really seems to work well with smokey spicy meat. Just thinly slice a cucumber, some onion and mix it with low fat sour cream or fat free yogurt, red wine vinegar, salt/pepper. It’s super simple and really good.

Just do an olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the cucumbers with some fresh basil, throw some tomatoes in and you have a perfect summer salad.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill, CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
deltablues69
Knows what a fatty is.

Take a look at the product line of Smart Balance which is available in most grocery stores. Good taste without the bad for you stuff.
deltablues69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

I need to eat better also. It's tough

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaftt View Post

Use olive oil instead of butter and grill it. I slice squash and zuchini in long thick slabs, oil it down, season it, and throw it on a hot grill. Same thing with asparagus just don't slice it.

Tags
Diet BBQ, Healthy BBQ, Healthy BBQ Choices