ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition Rubs and Sauces

First of all, let me say that I am not trying to start an arguement. However, I would like to say how I feel about something and would like to know how others feel.
I personally can not use someone elses rub or sauce in a competition. Win or lose, I need to know it is all me and my team. I personally feel like this is as big a part of the competition as the cooking is. I know it would be hard to enforce but I believe that teams should have to make their own sauce and rubs. I know many will disagree with me but I would like to hear some opinions on this.

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I hear ya and I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree. You can give the same sauces and rubs to a BBQ champion and a complete beginner and I can guarantee you will NOT get the same results. Cooking Que is so much more than just the sauces and rubs. Most don't even use them as made but will often doctor them or mix flavors to get their own desired result. Me? I prefer my own rubs but I can't make sauce to save my life so I use a doctored up commercial sauce.

Just my $0.02.
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Do what you feel... Whatever that is...

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I agree with you, but have crossed over to using commercial sauce and rubs. I still use my own rub on pork. I use most commercial sauces as an ingredient not a sauce. Our pork sauce has about 12 ingredients in it. Brisket 7. Chicken 5. and Ribs who cares because our ribs suck. It would make it more interesting if everyone did make their own, it would lighten up the playing field a little but it would be impossible to keep bbq comps as big as they are and as fast as they are growing and I thank all the companies that put out great commercial stuff for that.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

Do you feel the same way about smokers also?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

You'd have less parity in the sport and fewer people competing as a whole. Not everyone knows how to make a sauce, craft a rub, or build their own pit. Interesting idea? Sure. But it is like talking peace in the Middle East.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken V View Post
Do you feel the same way about smokers also?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Why would I feel this way about smokers?

The reason I feel this way about sauce and rubs is because I feel like that is part of cooking. Making sauces and using spices is taught in every culinary school as a part of cooking.

It doesn't bother me if people don't agree with me. I'm just looking for reasons why they don't agree.

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

We make all of our own rubs and sauces...but I have seen people who swear by the commercial sauces and rubs for the consistancy.

If you always get your peppers for your sauce from joe bob at the farmers market, and then joe bob's flavor profile changes due to weather, soil problems, you name it so does your scores...

If you find combining 3 commercial sauces works, go for it...that is still creating your own flavor profile...

If you buy rub in 5 pound bags and add 4 tbsp cajun seasoning and some more chili powder for color, you have made it your own...

Some people can BBQ, Some can cook amazing sauce, Some can make a mean rub...If you can do all three well then you are a BBQ God. If you can't then you are like most people and thats okay too...It may be about the competition but it is also about the fun, and too many knit picky rules ruin the fun. If you try and outlaw commercial rubs, sauces, and marinades then what is next. No more commercial pre-cut de-barked logs...you gotta season your own wood? Well I do, but hell, a lot of us don't.

There is a line that you have to stop at before you exclude so many people that this is no longer a fun AND competitive sport.

Just my 2 cents

Neil

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18,5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem" http://www.toosaucedtopork.com
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

I see what you are saying and I do see maybe someday there will be an "Iron Chef of BBQ" comp. With that they might use this as a criteria, but in KCBS comps I do not see this happening.
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Good concept, but alot of the store bought rubs are similar in flavor profile. I bet we could take the rub you make and match it with someone elses.(or get very close) At the end of the day you have to be able to cook.

Tyler
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post

The reason I feel this way about sauce and rubs is because I feel like that is part of cooking. Making sauces and using spices is taught in every culinary school as a part of cooking.

Can’t say I know many BBQ’ers that have been to culinary school. Seems like an oxymoron (culinary school and BBQ) to me. just my $0.02
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin View Post
Seems like an oxymoron (culinary school and BBQ)
Don't tell Tuffy, or Shad, or... hey, we've even got a handful that are regulars on our circuit out here.

I would have to agree that making one's own rub and sauce is tremendously satisfying. It's not for everybody, but I take great pride when ours come through for us.

I might sing a different tune when I'm standing over a hot kettle before a contest, though.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin View Post
Can’t say I know many BBQ’ers that have been to culinary school. Seems like an oxymoron (culinary school and BBQ) to me. just my $0.02
I went Culinary school, didnt learn much about BBQ there. It does give you a nice knowledge of food and technique. We make our own stocks, brines, marinades, etc. There is no better school than the School of hard knocks.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

I apologize for not answering to your post. I have tried and tried but never have come up with anything that I had confidence in or thought was better than what I use now. If I do come up with something I may change my tune....maybe I should try one of them sometime. I really have no feelings either way as to whether someone uses a commercial rub or a homemade rub.
The cooking of the meat, I believe is just as large if not larger than the rubs and sauces used. That is why I asked the question about your thoughts on smokers.

Ken
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

The way I figure it, anything I buy in the store is an ingredient. If I combine it with anything else, it becomes my recipe.

When I make sauce "from scratch", I use ketchup and worcestershire sauce. I don't have a clue as to how to make either one so I use commercial brands. Is my sauce commercial or my recipe?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote