The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
brucesieg
On the road to being a farker

Default boston pork butt

been away for a while with some personal items, but back cookin. tonight i'm out trying my first pork butt on my webber kettle. i rubbed yellow mustard on it first then added a dry rub mixture. every two hours spraying with canola,juice,some more rub. any thoughts out there????? or advice
brucesieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hi Brucy!! - Stay warm and drink and keep up what you're doing. Don't pull the farker off until it's at least 190 internal. If ya want, put the cooker in your truck and head over to Mary's to keep him company. Wish I was there.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
brucesieg

Default my butt

thanks bro, i started about 8pm using hickory and some natural charcoal.
i am turning every two hours spraying it. how long should i keep it on for??? and yes i am drinking a bottle of don julio and some corona's. how did you know????

Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Re: my butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucesieg
and yes i am drinking a bottle of don julio and some corona's. how did you know????
Dun Julio! You are da man! My favorite tequila.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 PM   #5
brucesieg

saiko you don't even know how much teqila we drink in my home. another good one is casadoras(deer hunter in spanish) and tres generaciones. next bretheren bash if you come, i will make sure to bring some good tequila

Old 12-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #6
BrooklynQ
Banned

hmm - a brethren drinking and smoking - you do know that Brooklyn is geogrpahically part of Long Island, right? Where are you bruceiq?
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
brucesieg

in stony brook about 5 minutes from phil's house. i am on 347 vets highway.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
tommykendall

Now you got me thinking about doing a shot. Why think - just do it! Bruce - you don't need to turn the farking thing. Time on the smoker basically depends on your pit temp and weight of the butt. Assuming you're cooking at 240-250 or so, about 75-90 minutes per pound as a guideline only - maybe even an hour per if you're lucky.. Hope you don't have a 9#'r or more...

Old 12-04-2004, 10:17 PM   #9
brucesieg

no its one of those double shoulder- butts from costco, i just put half in maybe 4 lbs. also have a shot on me

Old 12-05-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

he he .. bruce.. pork butst go for an hour:15 per lb. Mine went in at 3Pm and they are at 185 right now. they be coming out soon, but if yours went in at 8.. you aint sleepin tonight. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2004, 12:41 AM   #11
tommykendall

Quote:
but if yours went in at 8.. you aint sleepin tonight.
Poor Broadway - just go to Mary's and eat his

Old 12-05-2004, 01:00 AM   #12
brucesieg

yeah but i got a kettle, might be a little faster

Old 12-05-2004, 01:10 AM   #13
brucesieg

oh my butt is looking righteouos

Old 12-05-2004, 06:19 AM   #14
Neil

Put a 7#er on the 'dera at 2 pm yesterday afternoon and took it off at midnight when it hit 190*. Wrapped and coolered till 6:15 this morning. Just finished pulling it. Nothing like tastey Q for breakfast. Would have started it earlier in the day but yesterday morning a friend and I went out to a farm where I had been given permission to cut up and take the wood from some apple trees the farmer had bulldozed over. We cut up five trees and will be going back next saturday weather permitting to get the other three. I'll be taking that pulled but over to the farmer as a thank you. Figure it will be a good way to ensure an unending source of good fruit wood.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grill, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2004, 11:19 AM   #15
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had 12 butts on at 8 a.m. yesterday. They got wrapped at about 3 and all were at 190 by 6:30 p.m.. All went into the cooler until today. The cooler will be opened about 1 in the afternoon and they will still be about 160 and ready for pulling.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote