How to butcher a pig?? Need Advise

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My mother went halves on a whole pig so now its time to figure out how she wants it butchered. So she has half a pig, and since Im going to be benifitting from most of this I need to make sure she doesnt have it cut up wierd, if thats possible. Thats actually my question, she needs to decide how she wants it butchered, but I dont fully understand the different ways of doing this. Wouldnt they just cut it down in all the standard peices of meat (butt, picnic, back ribs, spare ribs, loin, belly, ham, etc) or am I missing something here? Please educate me!

Your butcher will advise you. Don't do it yourself, or let you Mom, if she's never done it before.

sorry for any confusion, The pig will be taken to a professional butcher for butchering, but my mom says she needs to decide "how to have it cut". Not exactly sure what they're looking for, nor does she have a clue

I suspect that they're asking about specific cuts. You can get several different cuts of meat from the same area of an animal depending on how it's butchered. The loins and ribsa re a good example of this.

I don't know enough about it to give you any advise, so, maybe the youtube suggestion is a good one. I'm also sure there're some Brothers here that can help better than me.

I suspect that they're asking about specific cuts. You can get several different cuts of meat from the same area of an animal depending on how it's butchered. The loins and ribsa re a good example of this.

I don't know enough about it to give you any advise, so, maybe the youtube suggestion is a good one. I'm also sure there're some Brothers here that can help better than me.

Thats the only thing I was thinking of...

Does anyone know what cuts I would have to choose between??

he wants to know what you want as in sausage, ground pork, ribs do you want do you want ham cured, uncured or ground for sausage, do you want prok chops or whole loin, porksteak etc this is what he wants to know here are a couple cut charts

pork_cuts.jpg

butcherapig.jpg

pork-cutsjpeg-9d7fae94aefa39ae.jpeg

he wants to know what you want as in sausage, ground pork, ribs do you want do you want ham cured, uncured or ground for sausage, do you want prok chops or whole loin, porksteak etc this is what he wants to know here are a couple cut charts

pork_cuts.jpg

butcherapig.jpg

pork-cutsjpeg-9d7fae94aefa39ae.jpeg

See nrok? I told you someone would come through. :clap2:

Ok so for smoking purposes I want the shoulder intact, back ribs, and spare ribs. Does this still allow for loins? and belly for bacon? Or can you not have both? Also since we're doing this, is there anything special I should ask for?

if you get back ribs you will get a loin, and no pork chops if you have the sholder intact he will probly give you that a sholder if you want a boston but you want the but portion and picnic your bacon will come from the pork belly

now if I ask for just a whole shoulder will I get the butt and picnic together or will I get extra stuff with it? Im thinking a whole butt and picnic should could fit on the UDS and make for a good smoke!

yeah you would get just that and maybe with skin on which wouldn't be a big deal and adds good flavor imhop im sure you could get it skin on or off, and your butcher will ask you a few q's and can come up with a good cut list to fit your needs

Back