ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default They're ALIVE!!!! 2010 Garden Growing Tips, Tricks, Pron Thread

In the epitome of Brethren Spirit, an altruistic brother (who shall remain nameless by his request, unless he should reveal himself) noticed my interest in growing a hot pepper garden and took it upon himself to send me some precious heirloom seeds from his own garden.

Guajillos, Tepins, Yellow Japs, and Serranos

[Thank you again ]

I planted them immediately and guess what... THEY GREW!!!!

I only planted three seeds in each bundle of dirt. There are seeds in every bundle, but there are bound to be duds. The yellow japs are the ones that took off with all three seeds growing together. The tepins, have just one growing in each bundle ( two tepins have sprouted). The guajillos and serranos have not sprouted yet.

Now, I have never had anything sprout after planting seeds. Even in kindergarten my egg carton garden was a dud. So I am incredibly excited about this little bit of success. I need some advice though.

I know this is not a gardening forum, but since many Brothers grow pepper gardens, I think this might be loosely on topic and hopefully immune to moderating. Forgive me if you don't care.

What do I do next????

Last edited by BobBrisket; 04-22-2010 at 06:59 PM..
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well you can't smoke'm but I would transplant the seedlings to a larger pot with some good soil and use Miracle Grow. Just do not over/under water them.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

I think there is a process to go through between now and potting.

And then after the potting, I think they have to be hardened off or something.

I need it explained to me like I'm three. I have no clue and don't want to screw this up.

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 3

Call your county extension, they should have a Master Gardener available to help with your questions. you need a local expertbecause of differing climate conditions.

http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
BobBrisket

Whoo Hooo!!! Glad they sprouted for you!!! Now it's a battle of the fittest. I'm looking at the clump of seedlings in the lower right. There are three seedlings and the one on the far right is the tallest. Sad fact, but the smaller two need to be weeded out so that the taller one grows faster. Give em another couple days and pinch off the smaller seedlings. That's what I do so the bigger and taller ones get bigger and taller faster. I must have at least 1000 of those little tepin seedlings all over my garden. They are the stray seeds from last year's pods. They grow like weeds and are very hearty. The beauty of tepins is that the plant grows back every year. SO, you need to plant the tepins in an area with lots of room, sun, and some sort of light cover, like under the roof overhang, under a tree, they like to feel protected. (long story about the origins of tepins being grown in thorny mesquite bushes so that grazing animals could not eat them up), One tepin plant (bush) can get 4-5 feet wide and just as high in the right spot.
I REALLY enjoyed those yellow japs last summer. That plant was a pepper making machine. They won't be very large peppers, but they will have a deep heat!! The serrano seeds were from store bought peppers and the guajillo from dried store bought. They may or my not grow, but give a few more days.
I'd say the japs could go in a pot, but cover em till the seedling gets a little bigger. Birds etc love those tender seedlings.
The tepins.........in the ground for sure!
I'm glad you liked em Brother. Hope they bring you some heat..........tell us what it was like to pop a tepin in your mouth?

Bob

The actual name is chil(i,e)tepin. They are thought to be the Mother of All Peppers and have history as far back as the Aztecs. It's also considered the State Chile of Texas. They are also called Bird's Eye peppers.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!

Last edited by BobBrisket; 04-21-2010 at 02:14 AM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I'm glad you liked em Brother. Hope they bring you some heat..........tell us what it was like to pop a tepin in your mouth?

Bob
When I got the care package a few weeks ago I tried one...

I first noticed a visible difference between your tepins, and the dried ones I bought at the carniceria. Yours were brighter and fuller looking (less like dented cans). I sprinkle the carniceria ones over food like black pepper to add some heat. They just aren't that hot.

Having heard that Tepins could be extremely hot, I popped just one, bright colored dried one into my mouth.

Let me tell you what... it was instant heat! Not a slow building... "oh this ain't so bad" type heat. It was on from the first second. I spit it into the sink by the next second. I LOVE spicy foods, but this was too hot, too fast for what I was expecting.

Unread 04-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

I just popped another one in my mouth and held it there. The heat is about at the limit of my tolerance. I didn't dare swallow it, or even chew it more than once. My mouth is on fire, my ears feel funny, and I am currently raiding left over Easter candy and breathing through my mouth.

Here is a pic of Bob's Tepins on the right vs the Carniceria's on the left. They are about the size of an M&M.

The way they look is about how they compare with heat too. One is definitely more lively than the other.

Thanks again Bob.

Unread 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I grow a salsa garden from seeds each year. Bob's comments about thinning the herd are right on the money. You asked about 'hardening' them off. What I do is set the flat that the seedlings are in out in the sun and air when the temps are above about 45F I bring them in before it gets dark. Once we are past about two weeks after the average date of the last frost for my area (yours will be way different in your location than mine) I start leaving the flat out over night. Once they are well developed, I transfer them out to the garden and water them down with the MiracleGro water.

Hope this helps!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Keep this thread going!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Bacchus
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
Well you can't smoke'm but I would transplant the seedlings to a larger pot with some good soil and use Miracle Grow. Just do not over/under water them.

Wouldn't that be the $**t.... A new hybrid bud that was smokable and produced a tasty chili.

Unread 04-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

Can you smoke that stuff
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
dannypat21
is one Smokin' Farker

Now I want to a damn garden of chilis!
dannypat21 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

There's another Brother on here who grows and smokes his own hybrid chilis. He gave me some of the ground up result and man, I tell you what... some of the best chili powder I've ever had. I used it as the base for my rub and it was fantastic.

I'd love to hear his thoughts on this process. I hope he's tuned in...
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
I grow a salsa garden from seeds each year. Bob's comments about thinning the herd are right on the money. You asked about 'hardening' them off. What I do is set the flat that the seedlings are in out in the sun and air when the temps are above about 45F I bring them in before it gets dark. Once we are past about two weeks after the average date of the last frost for my area (yours will be way different in your location than mine) I start leaving the flat out over night. Once they are well developed, I transfer them out to the garden and water them down with the MiracleGro water.

Hope this helps!
That's a great plan for hardening.
Dave, what is the weather like in Yucaipa during the day and night at this point. That will help us too.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

This is a great thread. I grew chiles for years in Indiana and have built up a modest library of pepper seeds that I collected from market produce and friends. I have been storing some prized chihuacle negro seeds that I was given by a family that we befriended in Oaxaca Mexico last year. This is the "secret" ingredient in Oaxacan Mole Negro and other Oaxacan specialty dishes and I'm sure these would give an amazing deep intense flavor to rubs. These are grown in such limited amounts in Mexico that there is no regular supplier Stateside and they often go for $10/oz dried when you can find them. The weather here in San Francisco (fog) has prevented me from growing these successfully but I would be happy to send some to one of the brethren if they wanted to give it a go. All I ask in return is that you sell me back me a couple of ounces of dried chiles if it works out!
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote