The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A couple quick questions

Hey everyone. I'm in the early stages of planning everything. Yes I have already talked to my local HD and so forth. My plans are to keep things simple and I only plan on selling at local festivals, fairs, etc.

I think I have seen it on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. But on average, how many pulled pork sandwiches can you get from a 8 lb pork butt?

My second question is where is the best/cheapest place to purchase the little square and rectangle paper serving dishes?

I'm looking into what all my cost will be vs what I can charge to get an idea of profit.

Thanks in advance.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

1/2# uncooked butt will yield about 1/3# finished product, enough for one sandwich. To easily do it take # of hand divide by 2 = #'s of meat you need. Add a few pounds for safety!
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers65 View Post
1/2# uncooked butt will yield about 1/3# finished product, enough for one sandwich. To easily do it take # of hand divide by 2 = #'s of meat you need. Add a few pounds for safety!
So a 8lb uncooked pork butt should yield roughly 16 sandwiches. Did I follow you right?
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Dex;1535237]Hey everyone. I'm in the early stages of planning everything. Yes I have already talked to my local HD and so forth. My plans are to keep things simple and I only plan on selling at local festivals, fairs, etc.

I think I have seen it on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. But on average, how many pulled pork sandwiches can you get from a 8 lb pork butt?

My second question is where is the best/cheapest place to purchase the little square and rectangle paper serving dishes?

I'm looking into what all my cost will be vs what I can charge to get an idea of profit.

I get between 12-15 Sammies per Butt on 4" Buns as for the serving boats I'VE found cash and carry cheapest. Good luck this season!

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome thanks!

Where do you usually get your buns at?
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Awesome thanks!

Where do you usually get your buns at?

I get mine at Fred Meyer or Kroger most of the time, They have 8 packs for 89 cents and in the summer 2 for a buck. I would talk to the bread person to let them know what you will need otherwise you may find them out in your time of need.

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
The Drill Sargent
Got Wood.

Cash n carry or smart & final, restaurant depot will have the paper trays