MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default I have fresh salmon coming home

's dad went up north this weekend to hunt and decided to drop a pole in the water on his way home.

whattaya know he harvested a 14 lbs salmon. I asked him to bring it home for me.

I've made hot smoked salmon a few times and like it. thinking of trying thirdeye's nova lox recipe.

what's the best way to handle this much fish, its probably enough salmon to last me a year

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

A 14 pound salmon will yield between 8-10 pounds of meat. You could use one side for Lox, and portion the other side and vacuum seal it for later use.

DATE AND LOCATION CONFIRMED!!! Saturday, January 25, 2020 - BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
A 14 pound salmon will yield between 8-10 pounds of meat. You could use one side for Lox, and portion the other side and vacuum seal it for later use.
thanks for moving this ron and thanks for the advice.

definitely doing lox with a piece of the fresh fish......can't get much fresher than 4 hrs

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
food4thot
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I use both sides for lox to get equal size pieces facing each other for the cure. Cut the tail end off for other use.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
smoke ninja

thirdeye's recipe

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149213

Old 10-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4thot View Post
I use both sides for lox to get equal size pieces facing each other for the cure. Cut the tail end off for other use.
you'll have to explain more?

two pieces meat to meat? skin on outside?

Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
thirdeye

Fish that fresh is a good choice for lox. Or you could dry cure and hot smoke one side.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
food4thot
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
you'll have to explain more?

two pieces meat to meat? skin on outside?
The recipe I use is from the book Nourishing Traditions. It's cured in the refrigerator a couple days and doesn't require smoking.

Gravlox:
2-3# fresh salmon, center cut, cleaned, scaled with skin left on, cut into 2 filets
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup Rapadura (or dark brown sugar)
2 tablespoons green peppercorn, crushed/coarse grind
1/4 cup whey (or lemon juice)
2 large bunches fresh dill, snipped

Remove any pin bones. Mix salt, Rapadura, peppercorns and rub thoroughly into flesh of both filets. Sprinkle with whey and cover with dill. Place flesh sides together and wrap well in plastic wrap. Wrap all in heavy duty aluminum foil and place between two cookie sheets. Put in refrigerator with a weight (bricks) on top. Refrigerate 2 to 6 days, turning every 12 hours.

In my experience it's cured in 2 to 3 days.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Unfortunately a 14 pound salmon would not last long around my place. Congrats and happy cooking, looking forward to seeing your results.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Don Marco you to brush Genteman Jack on his Lox. It’s pretty good
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, Smoke Ninja, you a truly blessed. It’s not everyday we can get such a gem considering most stuff in the market these days include moisture retaining agents in the form of phosphates.
There is so much you can do but I would hot smoke one side to enjoy today and/or tomorrow and then make lox with the other filet. Thirdeye’s dealio is pretty spot on and will yield excellent results although a little labor over a longer time in days for the lox. One slight recipe difference from our family’s Eastern European roots would be that gravlox has no smoke and nova lox or just lox is cold smoked. Mom did the gravlox, Dad did the smoke or grilling.
Both start out the same way - the dry cure with salt and sugar wrapped in plastic but, it gets wet pretty quick as the moisture is drawn out. Whatever spices you add are up to you. You can go all the way on both with just sugar and salt and will have great results. Gravlox for us always has fresh dill in the cure.
The hot smoke:
Dry cure two to three hours and then rinse but don’t rinse too much as you will draw out the little bit of cure you have going. Slap it on a soaked cedar plank or not skin down. Sometimes it goes right on the kettle with nothing else or my other ways include yellow mustard rub topped with brown sugar or your favorite BBQ rub, dill and lemon, teriyaki and pineapple or, just black pepper or BBQ rub. Whatever you want but with fish that fresh I would go with just the salt and sugar...prepare an indirect fire on the kettle and when nice and hot toss on some apple or alder flavor chunks. Put the filet on the side with no coal and cover with vents half open. Your looking for about 350 degrees but I’ve done it so much I never check the temp. 20 to 30 minutes is usually enough but with a filet as big as yours your are looking at around 30 minutes. Be careful not to overcook! You want it barely done. Enjoy!
For the lox, prepare per Thirdeye or any lox/gravlox method and then cold smoke. After the cure when you basically have gravlox, enjoy or cold smoke for added flavor. We always rub a little oil over the entire filet to enhance the appearance and oilliness of the fish. It’s very important to not exceed 80 degrees on the cold smoke. You absolutely positively do not want to cook the fish! It’s already done. An hour or two of cold smoke is enough. I take my Big Chief hot smoke cabinet and fill an empty soup can with the lid still partially attached with flavor chips. Then, I stick the hot end of a soldering iron into the can layed on it’s side. Put that under the fish and close up the cabinet for a little bit. Enjoy your catch...

Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Default Nice catch

double post deleted...

Last edited by LongTong; 10-20-2019 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Opps
LongTong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #13
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Throw it on the grill invite a neighbor or two as fresh fish is best enjoyed...…. fresh

Old 10-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #14
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Cedar planked ain't bad either!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #15
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

My favorite for fresh salmon is skin side down on a grill with Montreal steak seasoning on it until done.

It's your fish- do what you want. I would grill at lest the tail sections right away.
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smoked salmon