Discada Experts: Need a first cook recipe

The Giggler

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well, my Discada is finally ready to season. All you Discada Experts: What's the best first cook recipe for seasoning a new Disk? Also any tricks or tips for cooking are appreciated.

I used horseshoes for handles, and painted the handles and backside of the Discada with high-temp black paint. Looks pretty good. Will post a pic during the first cook.

Thanks!

Congrats you will love it. Tripas are really good if you feel adventurous. Here is a pic of some pork carnitas I recently made for our church festival. Get it very hot and pour in some peanut or canola oil and throw in sliced onion and bell pepper then the pork and cook it until everything is nice and caramalized! Then make tacos with pico de gallo or guac. MMM MMM! Good. There's so much you can do with them.
Pork seasoned with Tony's
Picture356.jpg

Picture355.jpg

Picture358.jpg

Picture363.jpg

Picture361.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Well, my Discada is finally ready to season. All you Discada Experts: What's the best first cook recipe for seasoning a new Disk? Also any tricks or tips for cooking are appreciated.

Thanks!

a recipe for discada, does one exsist (insert wink here)? i always thought of it as the mexican version of a single pot pot-luck.

here's a place that i love to visit for mexican recipes. she doesn't have a discada recipe per se, but goes into depth on how to cook

http://rollybrook.com/discada.htm

fajitas are a good one as well, BBob cooks alot on his maybe hell chime in. lots of folks do carnitas.

a recipe for discada, does one exsist (insert wink here)? i always thought of it as the mexican version of a single pot pot-luck.

Here's a shot of my disco, made from a large plow disc in the fine old tradition. Mine doesn't have the rim around it, and it works great for frying, deep-frying and general cooking. The welding beads were added around the outside to help with frying - you can drag finished food up there when still cooking other stuff, and it will stay warm but won't slide back down:

2973668930055647610S600x600Q85.jpg

And here's a traditional Mexican discada recipe: http://texascookin.blogspot.com/2008/12/all-discos-are-not-alike-cooking-in.html

Great to see the interest in this type of cooking!

Mark

Here's a shot of my disco, made from a large plow disc in the fine old tradition. Mine doesn't have the rim around it, and it works great for frying, deep-frying and general cooking. The welding beads were added around the outside to help with frying - you can drag finished food up there when still cooking other stuff, and it will stay warm but won't slide back down:

2973668930055647610S600x600Q85.jpg

And here's a traditional Mexican discada recipe: http://texascookin.blogspot.com/2008/12/all-discos-are-not-alike-cooking-in.html

Great to see the interest in this type of cooking!

Mark

I love this idea, do you mind if I steal your design? Thanks, John

Thanks to everyone for the info. If I understand correctly, we're basically using a light peanut oil base, adding the longer cook time items (meat and potatoes), then the short cook time items (veggies), until the flavors work together and are done?

Pretty "freestyle" huh?

Technical question: When Frying, how do you know the temperature of the oil?

If it starts to smoke add more food to the cook. Thats what the guys at work are saying. They have a few "recipes" if you'd like. More like suggestions for meats.

OK. So I know I promised pictures from the first cook.... Didn't think anyone wanted to see burned potatoe hash browns.

Trying to be true to my charcoal, I blazed up a Kettle full of briquettes. Set the Disk on the top, let it get hot, poured in a little oil, and tossed the potatoes in. Wrong. Way too hot, and I didn't really think that charcoal would be that hot.... Silly me.

Anyway, I ruined an entire bag of yellow potatoes.

I think I'll stick to the propane burner from the turkey fryer.

Will give another go this week. This time I promise pics.

Anyone have any tips using a Disk with charcoal and a Weber Kettle?

If it starts to smoke add more food to the cook. Thats what the guys at work are saying. They have a few "recipes" if you'd like. More like suggestions for meats.

Recipes and suggestions are welcome any time.

The potatoes should be moved to fifth in line. Right before the veggies and after all the meats.

6 lbs bottom or rump fatty piece diced
2 lbs chorizo fresh not dried. out of casing crumbled
2 lbs bacon 2"-3" in pieces
1 lb italian hot sausage crumbled
1.5 lbs smoked ham chunks (city ham)
6-12 jalapenos diced
2 habenaros diced
3 sweet peppers
10 oz sweet corn
6-8 tomatoes sliced
3 onions sliced not too thin
6-7 cloves garlic minced
You can add a little peanut oil or get your lube from the dripping of the bacon
To your hot disk add the chorizo cook until browned and move to the edges
Add bacon cook down to brown and limp move to edges
drop the garlic and some onions into the grease. Brown
Add ham and firm it.
Mix everything together then move to sides
Cook italian sausage to brown move to edges
Cook bottom/rump two pounds at a time. Don't let too much water escape
mix all lower heat
throw tomatoes onions peppers and jalapenos in and cover
season with salt pepper cumin
Cover and cook at simmer for 10-15 minutes
cook uncovered until water has boiled off
Use lid or right over food to heat some tortillas

If you wanted potatoes this would be the placed to add them. Extend your covered time and make sure your potatoes are like the O'brien hash browns.

I have found the best way to measure oil temps in a film is to sprinkle water and see if it dances or explodes. explodes is too hot. if it is deep enough, stick a end of a stick in there, if it bubbles, you are good.

What temp do you want your oil in these things? Thinking of giving this Disc thing another shot.

Mike, what did you eventually use to strip the paint from your disc?

-Brian

The least toxic way would be a sand blaster or bead blaster....I have one if you need it blasted. I see you are in Pa., where is Huntingdon? I am not far from Huntington Valley in 215 area code...PM me if that works

What temp do you want your oil in these things? Thinking of giving this Disc thing another shot.

Mike, what did you eventually use to strip the paint from your disc?

-Brian

I have no idea on oil temp. That's why I'm asking. Never fried anything before. Except a couple turkeys. If memory serves me, that oil was at 350F. Can anyone confirm that?

A friend of mine took the finished product to a bead blaster, and they cleaned it up. The paint was really gumming up both the wire wheel and grinding wheel. So, I thought blasting would be the way to go. Turns out it was. Looks real good. The gritty surface disappeared with the oil treatment.

I painted the back side and horseshoe handles with high temp bbq black paint. Holding up real well, and keeping it from rusting up. And at this point, its well seasoned.

I tried another batch of potatoes tonight. They looked good, until I ate some - grease city.... Guessing the oil still isn't hot enough. This time I used a mandolin to slice a few thin. Preheated the oil until it started to smoke. Dropped in the potatoes, and they soaked up all the grease. Was able to crisp them a little by dialing up the heat, but the finished product really wasn't that good. :icon_pissed (Certainly not pron worthy)

You know, I can bbq a brisket to perfection over 12 hours, and can't seem to get the hang of frying potatoes in a disk. :mad:

Back