Burning in the new drum

F

Forgottenalarm

Hey guys, I did My second burn last night on my drum for my uds. So how do I know if it burned in enough? There is no liner, just a drum that has light rust on the inside. The only paint that didn't burn off on the outside is on the very bottom of the drum going up about a inch on the side. The drum had sand in it.

Sounds like your good to go! Season it up and get cookin.

I'd give it a rinse, a light scrubbing with steel wool, then throw some test monkeys on there.

Sounds great. Thanks all for your replies! Tonight I'll finish sanding and put some paint on her. Same with the lid.

You smoke monkeys?!?

:becky:

"Test monkeys" is the term I use for the first pieces of meat tossed on a grill. They pick up any grit\grime\dirt from the previous cleaning, and are a good temp check device.

Chicken thighs are a good test monkey for a drum because you can also check hot hot/cold spots with them.

I *would* like to try smoking a monkey. I figure you gut it, strip the fur, and spatchcock it.

Most (maybe all) drums come with a rust preventative inside that is good to get out. I used a weed burner, but I'm sure burning it out works just as well. I put the burner to it which turns the inside black and then I just sand that out. Anyway, if you are down to metal then you are good to go.

Just a update, I used a wire wheel and 220 sandpaper on the outside. Second coat is drying. Tomorrownight will be the lid and bottom of the barrel. Should I scrub out the creote and sand the iinside?

Just a update, I used a wire wheel and 220 sandpaper on the outside. Second coat is drying. Tomorrownight will be the lid and bottom of the barrel. Should I scrub out the creote and sand the iinside?
NO that is Flavor:tsk:

It depends what was in it

Most (maybe all) drums come with a rust preventative inside that is good to get out. I used a weed burner, but I'm sure burning it out works just as well. I put the burner to it which turns the inside black and then I just sand that out. Anyway, if you are down to metal then you are good to go.

I'm working on my UDS, and my drum had mineral spirits in it. cut the top off and insides are bare steel. starting to rust already.

"Test monkeys" is the term I use for the first pieces of meat tossed on a grill. They pick up any grit\grime\dirt from the previous cleaning, and are a good temp check device.

Chicken thighs are a good test monkey for a drum because you can also check hot hot/cold spots with them.

I *would* like to try smoking a monkey. I figure you gut it, strip the fur, and spatchcock it.

There is speculation that eating monkeys started the AIDS epidemic.

Back