MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Daddy-O
On the road to being a farker

Default Pulled Pork Question

When you serve your pulled pork, do any of you ever sauce the pork in the pan after pulling it? (Mix sauce or something else with the meat before serving it)

Or do you just pull it, and let people add sauce to the sandwich if they choose.

I have a bunch of ppl coming over Saturday. I am smoking a few butts & pulling Friday (so I dont have to mess around with it on Sat.). My intention is to warm the pulled pork saturday before serving. I am ikind of concerned that the meat will be dry if I smoke it and pull it the day before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Most of the time I offer several sauces and just let people add however much they want.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I mix in less than a quarter of a cup. Just enough to add a hint without anyone being able to see it in there.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I'd wait til Saturday to pull it, doesn't take long and will help keep it moist. I don't know if you foil, but I know a lot of folks here will keep all the drippings from the foiling and add it back in after the pull.....delicious!

Let us know how it goes.

KC

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O View Post
When you serve your pulled pork, do any of you ever sauce the pork in the pan after pulling it? (Mix sauce or something else with the meat before serving it)

Or do you just pull it, and let people add sauce to the sandwich if they choose.
I do not sauce it, I let them add their owns sauce. I set out a couple different sauces to choose from.

Quote:
I have a bunch of ppl coming over Saturday. I am smoking a few butts & pulling Friday (so I dont have to mess around with it on Sat.). My intention is to warm the pulled pork saturday before serving. I am ikind of concerned that the meat will be dry if I smoke it and pull it the day before.

If you can vac-seal the pork, add a little apple juice before you seal, and re-heat by putting the bag in hot water. This way it doesn't over-cook and dry out when reheating..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Quote:
just pull it, and let people add sauce to the sandwich if they choose.
Just like that.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

It's easier for people to add sauce than to take it out!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:

Like others said above, I provide multiple sauces, so we dont sauce the meat itself. Plus there are folks who can eat the meat but not the sauce...

If you're cooking Friday evening/night, I suggest wrapping them in foil and then wrapping them in towels, putting them in a warmer (cooler without any ice) overnight. The next morning they'll still be hot as **** and burning your fingers when you pull it.

Or, the bag sealed with some apple juice works (as described above). I suggest that you dont pull it Friday night; it will be dry. Mind you, worse things have happened in the scheme of life, but it'll be better if you pull it Saturday.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
VeRTiGo91
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
It's easier for people to add sauce than to take it out!

Agreed here also!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeRTiGo91 View Post
Agreed here also!
x3 on this one too.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I did something different with my last PP. I made some pork broth with a bunch of bones from "value pack assorted pork chop" bones, instead of the rendered juices, I mixed the broth in with the PP along with some Shack Attack sauce. It was really tasty and the moisture level was wonderful.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I wrap my pork butts on the final stage of the cook. When they are done I strain the fat and mix in a little bit on my red sauce (4-5 table spoons). I eye ball it but I try and end up with one cup of sauce thinned out. I pour that over the butt when I wrap it to rest (about 2 hours).

When I pull my pork I pour that sauce over the pulled parts so they don't dry out. I mainly do it to add mositure not for a flavor kick.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
aawa
Babbling Farker

After i pull my pork I always put a little bit of dip or "finishing sauce" the dip i use is a eastern carolina dip;

apple cider vinegar
salt
turbinado sugar
crushed red pepper

I use just a little bit so you get the tang of the vinegar and it brings out the sweetness of the pork.

Then i serve it with a bunch of different sauces on the side. Most of my friends don't realize that I have added a dip to it already because I only put a little bit in once i pull.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Manana
Knows what a fatty is.

I do not add sauce since everyone likes different kinds. I personally like my pp sandwich with a mix of vinegar based and sweet/spicy Memphis style and cole slaw on it.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

I usually don't sauce it, I let people add the sauce on their own. I have a number of family members who prefer my pulled pork without the sauce.

I have to cook for a picnic labor day weekend, ( friday night for a Saturday afternoon picnic), I may try the wrapping/cooler trick, and then pulling it on Saturday. Thanks for the suggestion!!
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote