MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i just use s&p and grill over coals direct for about 3-4 minutes each side.
course the ones i get here are under 1/2 in thickness so they cook quickly.
if thicker then you need to cut a few at furst to see how long to cook them.
remember these cook easily and are easily overcooked which is not necessary.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Take it from a Saint Louis native living in the pork steak capital of the world..

First, make sure you know what a pork steak actually is. A true pork steak comes from a thick cut sliced up bone in butt. Some guys mistake pork chops for pork steaks. A good size steak is 1/2" to 3/4" thick uncooked. My recipe for steaks is to grill over direct heat in the weber kettle until tender. Season before hand with your favorite pork rub. Once tender, sauce them with your favorite Q sauce while still on the hot kettle. Set the sauce on both sides and then pull. If you are serving right then and there, go from the grill to the plate. If you are transporting or serving later, place the cooked steaks in a roasting pan with a splash of more Q sauce and place in the oven on the lowest temp. 160 is best, but I get away with 175-180 on mine with no issues. They come out and serve up just a little more tender, but are still fantastic and don't just fall apart.

I have smoked them at 225 before and they turn out just as good when cooked to the 170 IT mark. Tender and juicy with a smoke ring that penetrates almost the entire steak. Both methods are great.

I personally prefer to grill them because they take an hour(ish) to go from prep to finish. They are a great evening meal for weeknights.

Best thing is to just not over think it. Remember the KISS method.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

^^^^^Great summary above. S & P, braise, sauce and eat! My favorite meal as a child, especially with all the flavor around the bone...if cut correctly. Go Cards!
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Start out Indirect for 30 min, reverse sear then into a hot tub 1/2 a beer and BBq sauce, braise to tender finish 30 sec a side over the coals.
THIS IS HOW I COOK MY PORK STEAKS. Delicous

Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Take it from a Saint Louis native living in the pork steak capital of the world..

First, make sure you know what a pork steak actually is. A true pork steak comes from a thick cut sliced up bone in butt. Some guys mistake pork chops for pork steaks. A good size steak is 1/2" to 3/4" thick uncooked. My recipe for steaks is to grill over direct heat in the weber kettle until tender. Season before hand with your favorite pork rub. Once tender, sauce them with your favorite Q sauce while still on the hot kettle. Set the sauce on both sides and then pull. If you are serving right then and there, go from the grill to the plate. If you are transporting or serving later, place the cooked steaks in a roasting pan with a splash of more Q sauce and place in the oven on the lowest temp. 160 is best, but I get away with 175-180 on mine with no issues. They come out and serve up just a little more tender, but are still fantastic and don't just fall apart.

I have smoked them at 225 before and they turn out just as good when cooked to the 170 IT mark. Tender and juicy with a smoke ring that penetrates almost the entire steak. Both methods are great.

I personally prefer to grill them because they take an hour(ish) to go from prep to finish. They are a great evening meal for weeknights.

Best thing is to just not over think it. Remember the KISS method.
A definite +1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93vpmod View Post
Go Cards!
...and another +1!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
Rub'n Wood BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

It has been a long time since I live in STL (where pork steaks are king) and all I remember is season, sear, and braise in a pan filled with a gallon Maulls sauce and a couple of busch lights (must be cheap STL beer). Braise until way over done and try to enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Maulls_xl.jpg (18.4 KB, 53 views)

Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub'n Wood BBQ View Post
It has been a long time since I live in STL (where pork steaks are king) and all I remember is season, sear, and braise in a pan filled with a gallon Maulls sauce and a couple of busch lights (must be cheap STL beer). Braise until way over done and try to enjoy
If you had to "try" to enjoy a real STL pork steak...you weren't in Saint Louis!

Busch Light might be cheap but its better than Natty! I don't even cook them in beer anyway. Its a waste when a little Q sauce in the pan works just as good.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Rub'n Wood BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
If you had to "try" to enjoy a real STL pork steak...you weren't in Saint Louis!

Busch Light might be cheap but its better than Natty! I don't even cook them in beer anyway. Its a waste when a little Q sauce in the pan works just as good.
Natty is the good stuff, would never waste that mixing it in a sauce.

Dont get me wrong, I love pork steaks (the way I described is what I grew up on and I am pretty sure there are better ways to make them). Following this thread find out how to really cook them.

They go great with Cards and Blues games

Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub'n Wood BBQ View Post
Natty is the good stuff, would never waste that mixing it in a sauce.

Dont get me wrong, I love pork steaks (the way I described is what I grew up on and I am pretty sure there are better ways to make them). Following this thread find out how to really cook them.

They go great with Cards and Blues games
Hey now, I never said that Busch Light was good either

I like the heavy stuff, (regular) Busch, Bud, or Stag. Grew up around all the uncle's and my grandpa drinking the stuff so that's what I naturally drifted towards. Honestly, I'm more of a Cherry Coke and Beam kinda guy though anyway.

And hey, no worries about the steaks. Just rattling your cage a bit!

Go Blues!! Go Cards!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
C Mil
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've never had a pork steak that wasn't sauced on the grill then placed in an aluminum tray full of more sauce until eating. They are a staple of backyard cookouts around here so I've had them cooked almost every way imaginable and they are all pretty good if they aren't overcooked. They are super cheap so buy a bunch if you can find them and just experiment.

As for the beer, sometimes people will use it in their sauce but I wouldn't call it "the rule." If you are gonna use it, at least make it a Busch heavy.
C Mil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Wornslick
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing better that a good pork steak!!!!

We like them about a 1/2" thick. Grilled using direct heat on the Weber until almost done the sauce, flip and repeat until the sauce gets sticky and a little charr shows up. Some mac and cheese on the side and you have reached true "Happiness".

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->