MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Balony
Got Wood.

Default UDS Weber lid mod

I searched the forum with no results....Has anyone tried cutting an inch or so off the top of the bottom Weber kettle to weld into the top of a barrel? I thought that would make a nice lip for the Weber lid to set on.

If it has been done do i need to weld all the way around the barrel or just tack it in 6-8 spots around the barrel ?
Balony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I call it the Weber Flange Mod.

I suppose you can weld it to the drum if you wanted, but I make mine removable to use the drum lid for Turbo cooking or rotisserie rings.

Here it is on a closed drum to use a kettle lid. Leave @ 1/8" on your cut inside the rib and it will fit very tight with no need to weld-and it will keep the greasy buildup inside the drum and not all over the sides. (Don't ask how I know this!)

With an open drum for using either lid-Mostly for extra height, like Beer can chickens or Leg & Wing racks.

Works well with Rotisserie rings.

Join the Brethren site and you get expanded Search options-just one more reason to hang out here!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
capri man
is One Chatty Farker

have you tried the weber lid directly on your drum?
brinkman smoker
big azz upright smoker
really ugly UDS
kingsford kettle grill
weber smokey joe platnium
big gas grill (sorry!)
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Balony.....................................;}-

Yes, try your lid on the barrel,mine is a fraction off fitting ; a bit of 'ball peening' and the thing will fit perfectly. No welds to do,no extra holes in your barrel.
And look in the neighborhood on trash day and you'll probably find some grates to use in it ,fire ring base AND the cooking grates.. The expanded metal used around the bottom of some Fire Pits , makes a great char-wood basket.
hope this hepls and,

Old 06-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Balony
Got Wood.

Thanks for all the replies :) you guys rock

Oldschoolbbq.. Yes i have tried and it isnt close, thanks

I bought a second weber grill off craiglist yesterday to sacrifice to the UDS gods.... it was a nice looking weber for 30bucks with a like new hinged grate in it.

I will be doing the Weber Flange Mod thanks guys.. ill post pics shortly
Balony is offline   Reply With Quote