Fast and Hot brisket...Holy cow!!

G

ganso

First off I did not take any pics....I just forgot. I was on the fence if this would work or not. I had read wheelterrapin post on the brisket he made after attending Myrons class. I figured it would work but when it did I was amazed. There was some haters on his thread and I am here to tell you boys you have no clue to what you were talking about.

A friend and I cooked two briskets using his method. Injected and placed in fridge over night. We let them come to room temp and then on the cooker. 300 it what the smoker was running at, we have Stumps smokers running with Guru's so temp was dead on.

When the briskets hit 160 we foiled and let them come up to 200, then pulled and let them rest for two hours in cooler. Total cook time 4 hours for one and 4 hours 20 minutes for the other. THEY WERE KILLER! The briskets just kept climbing never hitting any stopping point.

Thanks again Wheelterrapin for all your help and thread. And to all the people who doubt it DONT. I have to go and watch the fights. :boxing:. Later Pat

300 it what the smoker was running at, we have Stumps smokers running with Guru's so temp was dead on.

Can you tell me what size stoker you have for your Stumps? Also what size is the ball valve on the ash box that the stoker is hooked up to?

Thanks
Patrick

Thanks Pat, I appreciate the kind words. I received a PM message from one of the brethren who was really put out with me for sharing the information, he felt I was violating the training I received at Myron's school. I gave out no recipes, just methods that others, including Popdaddy, have used for a long time. If the gentleman who wrote me the PM will read the complete thread he will see that others had written in that they had used this method before so I do not feel I violated anyone's trust. I appreciate your kind words, makes me feel better.

After the PM I quit discussing the issue anymore as I did not want to offend anymore of the Brethren as I appreciate all of the Brethren and have learned a lot from all of them.

Paul

First off I did not take any pics....I just forgot. I was on the fence if this would work or not. I had read wheelterrapin post on the brisket he made after attending Myrons class. I figured it would work but when it did I was amazed. There was some haters on his thread and I am here to tell you boys you have no clue to what you were talking about.

A friend and I cooked two briskets using his method. Injected and placed in fridge over night. We let them come to room temp and then on the cooker. 300 it what the smoker was running at, we have Stumps smokers running with Guru's so temp was dead on.

When the briskets hit 160 we foiled and let them come up to 200, then pulled and let them rest for two hours in cooler. Total cook time 4 hours for one and 4 hours 20 minutes for the other. THEY WERE KILLER! The briskets just kept climbing never hitting any stopping point.

Thanks again Wheelterrapin for all your help and thread. And to all the people who doubt it DONT. I have to go and watch the fights. :boxing:. Later Pat

There's always a "next time"...

I'm waiting and watching!

Bring it on!

I don't know, I always go out to take pictures of what I cook up, and never remember to, or I'll take pictures of the rub and.. not do any other part. I cook to cook, if it wasn't for this website I'd have no desire or inclination whatsoever to take pictures of my food.

On the flip side though I'm not much of a picture taking kind of guy, the only time I seem to have a "natural" instinct for the camera is when it concerns my kids.

Hell the other day I made some pulled pork, took some pics of the rub on it, took some pics about four hours into the cook, then completely forgot about the camera, left it outside, and halfway through the pulled pork my wife asked me "Did you take all your pictures?"
Ran outside to get the dang camera.
Good times.

I've tried both hot and fast and "traditional" if you will. Personally I don't think the "hot and fast" method in and of itself doesn't work I just suck at it. I'm more comfortable with the slower method because in my experience when I cook something low and slow I have more margin for error. Where as hot and fast the margin for error narrows. Much like approaching a stop sign in a vehicle. The slower you go the better your "reaction time is" and the more time you have to make adjustments. Where as if you're approaching the stop sign doing 90 mph you don't have much time or "room" for adjustments.

But I've eaten brisket cooked hot and fast and it was fine eatin's. I just haven't gotten good at it. :redface:

To answer a few of the questions, I put the briskets on at 12:00 noon. they were both 12 lbs. One was done in 4 hours on the dot and the other was done 20 mins later, it was a little thicker. They never stalled while cooking just kept climbing in temp.

I have a 10cfm fan for my stumps and keep the damper closed on it about half way it works awesome. As far as picture taking just didnt think of it, I am (if the weather is nice) cooking another brisket tomorrow for a bud and will take some then. We all know if there are no pics it didnt happen :roll:.

And wheelterrapin, Paul, who ever sent you a pm can eat it. I look at it this way, you spent YOUR hard earned money on the class do take away all you can from it and do what you want with the information. You shared a small part with us, and I thank you. What you did was help me in a decision to try to attend his class with the friend who cooked with me this weekend. Most would not do what you did just because it cost them and would think if you want to know spend the money. This forum is about helping any and all with bbq, I guess some think another way.

Thanks again, Pat

ganso - Glad your brisket turned out good for you. You don't need pictures to know how good it turned out.

Thanks Pat, I appreciate the kind words. I received a PM message from one of the brethren who was really put out with me for sharing the information, he felt I was violating the training I received at Myron's school. I gave out no recipes, just methods that others, including Popdaddy, have used for a long time. If the gentleman who wrote me the PM will read the complete thread he will see that others had written in that they had used this method before so I do not feel I violated anyone's trust. I appreciate your kind words, makes me feel better.

After the PM I quit discussing the issue anymore as I did not want to offend anymore of the Brethren as I appreciate all of the Brethren and have learned a lot from all of them.

Paul

Some people are just :crazy:

Myron Mixon didn't invent hot and fast briskets and you didn't share anything that is special to him so I would ignore that member.

Ganso, Wheel.. I have this little rhyme I use for Myron.

"Up your's Myron, Now then." Thanks! Nice Rhyme huh?

I am not sure who PMed you but we all saw his little drama with the muffin pans and Paul. A genius steals.

Now he taught you and as long as you didn't sign a "confidentiality agreement" you are fine.

Personally he may have shared his injection and we all know he uses high dollar briskets. Other than that, whoever sent you the PM you mention can eat their hat.

Does my eye twitch a little when some new member come in here and gets credit for a hot and fast brisket and they are not thanking me? I little bit, but then I have to remember I stole it from Kreuz when I worked there log ago. So I have to realize not to buy into my own Bull****?

The point is you learned apparently how to make a great brisket in little time. The Night Train Brisket (non Q Brisket test for feel) is pretty original as far as I am concerned but heck I stole that from granny!

Finally, sure Myron has been making high heat briskets I think since 2008. And he makes a damn good one... it costs enough. But the thing I have to pat myself on the back for is, well, this forum always had one or two people who did hot and fast before but for the most part it was real hard to mention doing it at the temp i do it at because of the ridicule. Now some forums pigpile and the guy who intros something different and the guy is cast out or moves on. NOT HERE! the mods are very even handed and let us grow. Grow as Qers and grow on each other.

You know, I think what's is unusual about my story was I saw the limitations as far as the internet and was able to break through the wall with video that made people watch long enough to say - "I am gonna try that tomorrow."
I mean think about this. I can SIMMER a brisket in a bone stock and some other things and grill it over coals and you will NOT believe its as good as it is unless you saw me do it in front of you. When you write words down like "cook at 270 to 325" and "don't foil" people compare your tasteless words to theirs proven and beloved tradition using another technique that they can connect with a flavor profile they are familiar with. Memory has the upper hand.

Also, no one has ever mixed candied jack daniels soaked smoked peppers in a shredded brocollis slaw with toasted ramen noddles and pecans before. Thats all mine. No one has merges Purple Rain with BBQ before. I have. No one has shot a video from inside the main chamber of his pit before. And I pretty much documented the Weep method for ribs... the idea I stole and added my funk to it. Once again, hot and fast ribs. So I have my little niche.

The thing is... our guided tolerance here ends up spilling into the vernacular of the rest of the forums. I tried to introduce Hot and Fast to other forums and they either refused to accept it or called me a lair when I showed them the results. I see it everyday on ALL the forums - hot is and fast is exploding in popularity and its an OLD tradition. Older in fact for brisket than low and slow. I am telling you now... the OTHER FORUMS are all talking about either this forum and linking it in regards to hot and fast, or are linking my video. Either way, it was this forum that inspired me to come up with a method of popularizing a stolen tradition.

Now sure, we all know I am going to take you eventually through the simmering your brisket in stock phase then grilling it... but thats for before I die.

So buddy's be proud of your theft - I stole, Myron Stole, we all steal (now revealing a tip thats you swore not to like I will never reveal what was in Neil's sauce - that is different) and if anybody don't like it - well - then don't reveal what you do.

Those of you that have it... go to Mike Mills Book Peace love and BBQ - and read the story about Potato Salad and see what he says about stealing.

Peace to y'all. The last damn thing I actually saw in BBQ that was original was Jim Minion's Method of lighting charcoal. That's , what, 20 years old or something?

Congrats on a sucessful smoke! Here's my take on what you learned from Mixon's class...you paid for it...you can do whatever you damn well please with the knowledge...:thumb: Thanks for sharing...:cool:

Congrats on a sucessful smoke! Here's my take on what you learned from Mixon's class...you paid for it...you can do whatever you damn well please with the knowledge...:thumb: Thanks for sharing...:cool:

x2 ^^ What the Quintessential Chatty Farker said

Paul
Paul I've chatted/emailed with you a few times:becky: and your a person I could hang out with, I can't believe a Brethren would pm you on this:tsk: I'm sure Mryon wants to keep his gravy train rolling and tells everyone to keep a tight lip, but what you do and say is up to you. As you stated your not giving his secret formula away. He was on TV telling his own secrets, I'd say 99% Brethren watched the show, dang I wish I would of recorded it:becky: If I recall right he put his food on some kind of racks in the pans, added juice, wrapped with foil and cooked until 205-F was reached,,All on TV! :confused: Again I should of recorded it.:becky:Any way good job Paul and thanks for any insight you might share, P.S, where'd you say to send the money:laugh:

Kickass has been talking about hot and fast alot longer than myron........

Only thing is. he is sharing what all of us already know. That hot and fast works... however, I do not see what MIXON puts IN his briskets. I have kept my injection somewhat cryptic too. But I don't use it anymore.

If ya wanna go sharing, tell us that! LOL

Only thing is. he is sharing what all of us already know. That hot and fast works... however, I do not see what MIXON puts IN his briskets. I have kept my injection somewhat cryptic too. But I don't use it anymore.

If ya wanna go sharing, tell us that! LOL

So by your own words, tell us what's in your injection...

Yep, and Kreuz was doing it like for 60 years when I worked there in the late 80s early 90s

When I worked at my dealerships even as far back as 2004 I had a screen saver of Kick's Prime Rib... remember that? the one where there was a piece or two freshly cut and leaning over so you could see the crust too.

Myron always smoked everything fast so when he turned to brisket he prop just threw it in there to start then after not getting good results lower and slower in a second pit he probably just said. hell, **** damn, how bout that and smoked at above 300-350. I'd probably cook that too if my gear was different and I injected. I just cant go injecting 40 briskets, or buy the higher dollar cut to feed 200 or so.

Kickass has been talking about hot and fast alot

longer than myron........

Thanks Rick, I appreciate yours and Pat's comments.

Paul

ganso - Glad your brisket turned out good for you. You don't need pictures to know how good it turned out.

Some people are just :crazy:

Myron Mixon didn't invent hot and fast briskets and you didn't share anything that is special to him so I would ignore that member.

Back