MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Downeyhead
Found some matches.

Default Backwoods G2 Chubby

Ok, Right now I have an 18" and a 22" WSM. I am looking to upgrade to an insulated, vertical smoker. I am looking for reviews from owners of the G2 Chubby. Now that is has been out for a while what do you think? Would you have gotten something different? Why? Or, are you happy with it? I cook mainly for the family and small cookouts. I have competed a few times and would like to compete more in the future. I plan on keeping the 22 WSM as well. Thoughts?
Downeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I had one, loved it and how it cooked so much, my wsm became neglected, sold both for something bigger. Cool little cooker.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a Party G2. I looked at the Chubby, but I wanted to be able to cook for 20-30 people if the occasion arose (which it did!). I love it. If you have the funds, you might even look at the Fatboy. Can't go wrong whichever you go with. I just knew I'd end up upgrading in a year if I didn't just pull the trigger. Good luck!
ATLSean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I really like mine. I use it in competitions along with a G2 party. The chubby is my ribs cooker. If you are cooking larger meats there are really only 2 usable racks so keep that in mind for larger cooks or if you think you might plan on competing more. I've gotten 4 butts on a rack, but that is fairly tight.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
NickyG
On the road to being a farker

I would sell my 22" WSM and buy the biggest backwoods you could afford. I have had the Gater and G2 chubby. The chubby is an awesome cooker, but you will always find yourself wanting more room. As soon as the G2 Fatboys come out I will be selling the chubby and upgrading again.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Hcs

I love the g2 chubby finding the time with the boys schedules is my only dilemma as for cooking for the small crowds I just did acook for 150 and was shocked i got 8 butts the first smoke totaling 60 pounds after trimming and 30 the next smoke and only used 20 pounds of charcoal with the digiq running and ended up have Avery little bit of charcoal left!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Hal4UK

I sold my (regular) Party to a friend, still have my (regular) Chubby, and a new Competitor.

LOVE BWS. With the regular Chubby (can't speak to the G2), the only issue is that it can really get HOT fast and run away on ya. The added space of the G2 should diminish that. I'm not saying it's a problem -- just gotta realize that when a smaller (insulated) box starts getting hot, you gotta pay attention and choke back the firebox O2 at the right time -- or will shoot up to 4-500 faster than you think. Just need to keep a small fire and pay attention.

With the Party and the Competitor (and probably with a G2 Chubby), you don't have to be as "eagle-eyed" making adjustments.

With any Backwoods, if you dial it in (close one side completely, and close the other to a thumb width -- rough guideline) about 50 degrees before target, they'll hold real nice for ya. Of course, the model, size, water/no-water, etc. will affect that, but --- what I'm saying is that you don't really need a Guru or such.

Gotta learn 'em (like any smoker) but you won't go wrong with a BWS.
I'd love to have a G2 Chubby ;-)
Hal4UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Check out humphreys!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal4UK View Post
I sold my (regular) Party to a friend, still have my (regular) Chubby, and a new Competitor.

LOVE BWS. With the regular Chubby (can't speak to the G2), the only issue is that it can really get HOT fast and run away on ya. The added space of the G2 should diminish that. I'm not saying it's a problem -- just gotta realize that when a smaller (insulated) box starts getting hot, you gotta pay attention and choke back the firebox O2 at the right time -- or will shoot up to 4-500 faster than you think. Just need to keep a small fire and pay attention.

With the Party and the Competitor (and probably with a G2 Chubby), you don't have to be as "eagle-eyed" making adjustments.
My G2 would take off as well, Bigger, but still small in comparison.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote