MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default smoking time calculator

Is there an online calculator to determine smoking times for different meats based on weight?
As in a 10 lb pork butt will be done at ----time
Maybe an input for beginning time and temp used?
It sure would be helpful to calculate what time to start cooks, esp for us beginners.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

The meat will be done when it's done. Get a good thermometer and use it instead.

For ribs, start with the 3-2-1 method at 225 to 250 degrees. After some experience, you will learn to tell when they are done using the bend test or the bone twist test or the toothpick test.

For Brisket, they are all unique. Cook it at 225 to 250 until it reaches and internal temperature of 170 and then continue to cook it and wait. It can take a couple of hours for the temp to go above 170. When it reaches 195 to 200, it's ready.

For Pork shoulder, cook it like a Brisket. 195 to 200 internal temp is usually good for pulled pork.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Start early then go by Temp/Tenderness then Let it get a good nap (rest a couple hours) before serving. I think most say like 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

The problem is that each piece of meat has a different structure and takes a different time to get done. Also, each smoker has its own thermal characteristics, even at the same temperatures, so the time varies once again. That is why you will hear "it is done when it is done".

That being said, a very rough rule of thumb is 1 1/2 hours per pound for brisket and pork butts when you cook low and slow.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
cireksu
Knows what a fatty is.

http://wyntk.us/smoking-times-and-temperatures

this is a pretty good rule of thumb.
cireksu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
TwoAnkhs
Got rid of the matchlight.

Great linky for newbies like me! Thanks!
TwoAnkhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
jkirker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default I just made something for this...

Hey guys (and gals),

I just made an online Meat Smoking Calculator for this. I had an excel spreadsheet which I used that did all the math but I figured I'd create an actual online tool...

I'm curious to get your thoughts.

Now, it's still very much a work in progress but I think it's ready to be shared.

Check it out at http://MeatSmokingCalculator.com

Please give me your feedback - I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
John
jkirker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirker View Post
Hey guys (and gals),

I just made an online Meat Smoking Calculator for this. I had an excel spreadsheet which I used that did all the math but I figured I'd create an actual online tool...

I'm curious to get your thoughts.

Now, it's still very much a work in progress but I think it's ready to be shared.

Check it out at http://MeatSmokingCalculator.com

Please give me your feedback - I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
John
Is this using only one temperature ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just stopped in to see how many times folks would say "it's done when it's done!"
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
jkirker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Is this using only one temperature ?
Hi Vinny,

For now there is a default meat temp set based on the type of meat being cooked.

Everything is based on a 9 out of 10 recommend and my own cooking experience.

It's very "general" in essence at the moment - and very new...Great for beginners and intermediate folk I think and as I get more datapoints on different meats cooking at different temps, we'll expand it.

I'm a slow and low guy and I do everything typically between 210 and 235ish.

But that's me and I know everyone has their own style.

What do you think out of the gate though?

And the suggested rest times? Well, I've realized some great benefits from resting - and it also buys time for longer cooks. When it's done for me, it goes straight into the Cambro! ;)

Give me some instructions and feedback and I'll use what I can to continue to refine it.

John

Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

John - it's creative an nice, but my opinion is that aside from a general guideline, something like this can do more harm than good for a novice... There are just too many variables that cannot be accounted for that could cause a new cook to make bad decisions if they believe that they need to stick to a schedule even if variables changes and don't know how to adapt.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Mornin' Wood
Full Fledged Farker

Just tried it. To make a 14 pound brisket for slicing, it takes 36 hours from the time you put it on the heat until the time it's ready. Had to check if I said brisket...or jerky. Nope, I put in brisket. Something tells me it may be a bit dry.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
jkirker

Default Silly

Im out to dinner but just tried it on my phone and a 14 ounce based on the 90/pound rule suggested 21 and not 36.

Can anyone else verify Chucks math?

Come on man. Help a brother out.

And this is a "guide". How many times has it happen when someone cooks and they don't end up serving until 10pm bcause they didnt anticipate the time of the cook?

I've seen it and it's happened to me more then once. I've even seen. Ompetition friends bonehead it.

Also Chuck there's a suggested rest in there. Perhaps you read it wrong?

And if you do it again and it's jacked up please send me a screenshot and I'll figure it out.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
jkirker

Got home and checked it. I can't get it to show me a 36 hour cook. How did you do that??? Let me know.

Ps. We'll be cooking 130 lbs of goodness starting tomorrow night for the Super Bowl... 4 different cookers.

I plan to put the calculator to the test on each piece of meat. It'll be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for taking the time to write - and any feedback on ways I can make this thing better would be appreciated. Love it or hate it, it's probably not for everyone. ;)

Last edited by jkirker; 02-04-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Because meats/pits don't cook identically, your calculator will always be a guide.

Nothing wrong with that.

It's another tool in the tool chest.

I think you did a great job.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote