MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehlhorn View Post
Just a thought but where is the bottom half of the weber? if you could use that or find one that has much better air opening, could make that into a lid. It would also have better clearance on the top, if needed depending on where your top rack is?
I thought I saw one on here before. Someone used the bottom for the top.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been wanting to do this as well, I feel like I don't have enough exhaust sometimes, to get it up to 350ish I need to leave the lid cracked to let the smoke escape.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #33
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenicksfam View Post
A lot of weber stuff you just have to call them and order it directly. They sell all replacement parts, but don't list them all on their website.
I called Weber Customer Servive 800 number today and they are sending me one Damper Lid Assembly for FREE with nut, bolt, washer and 2 of the rubber caps. One for the veny handle and one for the existing vent handle. It is all free including the shipping charge.

Now that's customer service in the USA and Illinois!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #34
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I called Weber Customer Servive 800 number today and they are sending me one Damper Lid Assembly for FREE with nut, bolt, washer and 2 of the rubber caps. One for the veny handle and one for the existing vent handle. It is all free including the shipping charge.

Now that's customer service in the USA and Illinois!
Nice!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #35
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuskier View Post
I put a second one on my lid because I liked the balanced look (in my opinion) and I had them! One of my donor grills had three old school vents on the bottom so I repurposed them as lid vents. They may be totally unnecessary but I like the way they look. It's also a nice way to be a little different. It also happens to be a very easy mod.....

Dave
Dave, I think you're on to something here. I'm going for it. I like the idea. Doesn't mean I have to have them both wide open. It's just gives me another option. Plus it makes me a little more like Dave. Maybe I'll have an avatar like that after I add the 2nd vent!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #36
gambler
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Where can I buy a 4 hole aluminum vent wheel for a 22.5 weber kettle?

Weber does not show them for sale on their website.
Try calling their 1-800 number. I was looking for the 22.5" kettle lids (lids only), which were not listed on their website either. But when I called they had them for sale. $52.00 + $7.00 S&H. I needed them and couldn't find any used ones so I ordered two (ouch!).

I asked why they didn't list them if they had them available, and the lady explained that they only list the popular items, but have many other items for sale.
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #37
gambler
On the road to being a farker

Oops, never mind my last post. Didn't realize you had already called customer service. It's nice they gave you the vent assembly free. They charged me full price for the replacement lids. When I asked if they could give me a price break for buying two lids (at $52.00 each) they said, "Sorry, the price is the price we sell them at no matter the quantity".

Last edited by gambler; 08-31-2011 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #38
El Ropo

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
I've been wanting to do this as well, I feel like I don't have enough exhaust sometimes, to get it up to 350ish I need to leave the lid cracked to let the smoke escape.
What are you using for your main fuel? KF blue?................ If so, I understand. That stuff burns low temp. Never worked for me.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #39
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

Yea KF Blue...what do you use now?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #40
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I thought I saw one on here before. Someone used the bottom for the top.

I put the bottom on the top. I named her "Bottom's Up" I also made another UDS and used the lid of the kettle for that one. I no longer own that one as I made the mistake of taking her to my son's house for a BBQ and he adopted her. I could not think of a name for her anyhow.
So I ran these smokers side by side with the same kingsford blue. "Bottoms Up" ran at 250 with one and a half bottom vents open. The one with the regular kettle lid ran with three and a half open to hold the same temp. Guess I should have mentioned they both have four 1" bottom vents. It is also complicated in that I think I am one of the few who uses a water pan in my UDS It is a big one at that, 20 quart so I am heating a couple gallons of water also. I have used my UDS for lots of cooks so I am confident to say I think you will benifit from the additional exhaust holes. I have yet another UDS that I originally put a home made vent on with 4 -3/4" holes I went back and changed that one to 6- 3/4" holes.

It seems to work well for me. Here is a picture of the unnamed UDS

I like to think having the exhaust holes in the center and the large water pan as a defuser creates a nice even heat. Love to think about all of this stuff. In the end what is the big deal if your extra vent is not necessary you could still use it to evenly split the exhaust. Also the kettle bottom will not fit the drum like the lid dose. No rocket science here I used an open head drum and pop riveted an alum strip around the inside to create a ledge for it to close on.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #41
El Ropo

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
Yea KF Blue...what do you use now?
Try stubbs, or a decent quality lump. Huge difference in cooking temp. KF blue never got as hot as I would like.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #42
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

It's on my to do list. My drum won't go 350 on just one vent.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
flex
Found some matches.

I've found that filling my charcoal basket half full or so and starting a full chimney of charcoals, and then putting them in the charcoal basket after the charcoals are fully lit. Then I keep the lid off the UDS until the charcoal basket are also fully burning to get the heat up. Then I put the lid on to bring the heat down so I put the chicken on and cook it. It works for me.
flex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #44
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex View Post
I've found that filling my charcoal basket half full or so and starting a full chimney of charcoals, and then putting them in the charcoal basket after the charcoals are fully lit. Then I keep the lid off the UDS until the charcoal basket are also fully burning to get the heat up. Then I put the lid on to bring the heat down so I put the chicken on and cook it. It works for me.
This works for me too, although I don't let the entire basket light up. I can achieve high temps quickly and maintain it there. It's a lot faster than lighting just a dozen or so coals to start.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #45
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Use only KB and my results are the same. In winter time I light more to get up to temp more quickly,but I'm able to achieve 350 pretty easily and stay there.To me key is finding the right amount t o start with to get the temp you need.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 vents weber lid, uds