MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default 2 vents on weber lid for uds

My weber top UDS has 1 dial vent with 4 holes. I'm thinking a 2nd. vent would help it out. I have seen other that added a 2nd four hole vent.
Wondering how that works compared to the single vent.

A 2" bung has more area than the 4 holes in the weber dial vent.

Also I have heard of some that have built their flat top UDS with eight 1" holes.

I'm thinking temps would respond faster it I allowed more exhaust.

Feel free to express you opinion. Everyone has one.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have thought about this in the past as this would possible even out the air flow a bit so it wasn't just drawing towards the one vent. However, I have never had an issue with just using the single vent so I figured I would not risk jacking up the lid to install a second.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

You could always do half & half.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

some have done that to their wsm's and were happy with the results. don't see any negatives to doing it. let us know.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
You could always do half & half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
some have done that to their wsm's and were happy with the results. don't see any negatives to doing it. let us know.
Yeah, if you are confident in your skills to pull it off without ruining the lid then go for it. One my main UDS I have already flattened and bent the lip around the drum and did not want to jack with that again in case I didn't drill the holes correctly and the lid had issues.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I guess I will have to make my own vent dial or get one from a used grill. Weber does not list them for sale on weber.com

Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm adding a second set of vents on my dome lid for doing chicken.
I'm not sure which way to go yet. I've seen it done a couple of different ways, either a bung hole or 4 smaller holes.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Where can i but a weber kettle vent wheel?

Where can I buy a 4 hole aluminum vent wheel for a 22.5 weber kettle?

Weber does not show them for sale on their website.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
SuperQue
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Stone Cold Grillers

I think the general rule of thumb is twice as many exhaust holes as intake. So if you have 3 1inch intakes you should have 6 exhaust holes. With the weber lid vent and cover, if you wanted to duplicate that you could drill the same hole config then cut a piece of sheet magnet to mimic the original vent cover.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

I'll add a bit of input here.

Typically the air intakes are 3/4" ID not 1". The original drilled hole is a 1" hole meant to accept a 3/4 pipe nipple.

Norco somehow or other came up with the 3ea 3/4" holes and that size and number of holes has pretty much been accepted as standard procedure. I have the Norco style holes on mine and I can get my heat up to 325 with a 10" diffuser plate with only 2 holes wide open. With the third hole open I imagine I could go as high as 350 or more.

Anyway, Norco also claims and others agree that 8ea 1/2" holes are sufficient for the top exhaust. I haven't done the math but I'd guess the 8ea 1/2" holes are a comparable or a larger surface area than 3ea 3/4" holes.

I do know that one Weber vent has 4ea 7/8" holes. I did the math on this and I know the 4ea 7/8" holes is a larger surface area than Norco's suggested 8ea 1/2" holes.

So to sum this up, if you think more/bigger exhaust is going to improve your smoking I don't think it will. But it may create a more even heat disbursement and reduce any hot spot you may have below the one vent wheel. Part of Norco's reasoning for the 8ea 1/2" holes was to spread out the heat exhaust, lessening the potential for hot spots caused by the heat exhaust focusing towards one vent.

Hope this makes sense.

Carbon, I could be wrong but I don't think adding more exhaust will raise your heat for chicken. Raising the heat requires more O2 getting on your fire or less diffuser spreading out the heat.

Last edited by pman777; 08-30-2011 at 09:57 PM..
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Those extra vents on the dome are needed when you go full throttle on the intake. Let that drum breathe....Ahhh.....

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman777 View Post
8ea 1/2" holes are sufficient for the top exhaust. I haven't done the math but I imagine the 8ea 1/2" holes are a comparable surface area to 3ea 3/4" holes.

I do know that one Weber vent has 4ea 7/8" holes. I did the math on this and I know the 4ea 7/8" holes is a larger surface area than Norco's suggested 8ea 1/2" holes.
Again I was mistaken. I thought people were using eight 1" holes instead of 1/2". That would be much less. Right now I'm just toying with the idea of weber 2 vents.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Those extra vents on the dome are needed when you go full throttle on the intake. Let that drum breathe....Ahhh.....
I've never been above 350 degrees and only when I seasoned it. 350 was not yet full throttle either.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman777 View Post
I've never been above 350 degrees and only when I seasoned it. 350 was not yet full throttle either.
Perhaps I don't have enough fully lit coals in the basket when I'm doing chicken, for instance. I'm having to keep the dome lid slightly ajar to stay at 350F. :)

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Perhaps I don't have enough fully lit coals in the basket when I'm doing chicken, for instance. I'm having to keep the dome lid slightly ajar to stay at 350F. :)
Are you saying you have all 3 vents wide open and 350 is it?

Tags
2 vents weber lid, uds