MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman777 View Post
I've never been above 350 degrees and only when I seasoned it. 350 was not yet full throttle either.
I built mine with (6) 3/4" exhaust holes in the flat lid.
(4) 3/4" pipes for air intake. 2" from the bottom (3 w/caps & 1 adjustable)

For Chicken I run all the exhaust holes open. I close off 2 holes if I'm trying to hold the temp. down to 225. I use drop in pipes with Black screw on caps for the additional adjustment/lower temp. I made a total of 6 of them so I can damp out the fire. I know it's low Tech. but it's easy and inexpensive.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 08-30-2011 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: format.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yes they do.
http://help.weber.com/schematics/vie...001&Sequence=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I guess I will have to make my own vent dial or get one from a used grill. Weber does not list them for sale on weber.com

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Having two vents is unnecessary. The weber product is highly engineered with fancy CAD/CAM/CAE software. If there was an advantage to it, it would have already been done.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
thenicksfam
On the road to being a farker

A lot of weber stuff you just have to call them and order it directly. They sell all replacement parts, but don't list them all on their website.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #20
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Having two vents is unnecessary. The weber product is highly engineered with fancy CAD/CAM/CAE software. If there was an advantage to it, it would have already been done.
Yes, but it wasn't engineered around a 55 gal drum.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's the square inch area of the holes:
2" bung = 3.14
(4) 7/8" = 2.40 (weber wheel vent)
( 1/2" = 1.57

Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Perhaps I don't have enough fully lit coals in the basket when I'm doing chicken, for instance. I'm having to keep the dome lid slightly ajar to stay at 350F. :)
Carbon, another question because I'm trying to figure out what's different in your UDS from mine. Do your intakes open at the low level or do you have any connected to extention pipes bending upwards a bit?

What kind of diffuser are you using?
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #23
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a 2" exhaust and a BGE stainless steel intake door . I have no problems running over 600 degrees or puttering along at 180.
BTW- I have a UDS with a 1 1/2" pipe running up to grate level and I know for a fact that I can run at 500 degrees.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #24
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I use a Weber lid on my UDS and have to almost close it when using my Pitmaster iQue. I open it up if not using a forced air controller. I have never had issues with temps but I don't go over 350. If I have a need to go over that I use the Weber kettle.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #25
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I can easily run at 350*+ with only two intakes open and a single vent. It is just a matter of how many coals are lit. I have never had to open my third vent.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #26
Neil

I've never had a problem with just one Weber vent wheel and I often smoke 8 8# butts on a single drum.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
malibuskier
Got Wood.

I put a second one on my lid because I liked the balanced look (in my opinion) and I had them! One of my donor grills had three old school vents on the bottom so I repurposed them as lid vents. They may be totally unnecessary but I like the way they look. It's also a nice way to be a little different. It also happens to be a very easy mod.....

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #28
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman777 View Post
Carbon, another question because I'm trying to figure out what's different in your UDS from mine. Do your intakes open at the low level or do you have any connected to extention pipes bending upwards a bit?

What kind of diffuser are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I can easily run at 350*+ with only two intakes open and a single vent. It is just a matter of how many coals are lit. I have never had to open my third vent.
I'm still a UDS newbie and I think my mistake is not having enough fully lit coals to begin with when doing high temp cooks. On my next high temp cook I'll dump a full chimney of lit coals over the half filled basket.
I have absolutely no problems maintaining steady low temps for hours using the Minion method.

I have four 3/4" intakes at the bottom, no risers. I'm also using an 18" flat pizza screen with 1/2" holes everywhere as a diffuser.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

When using decent quality lump, like B&B oak lump, I have no issues cruising @ over 400 with one exhaust vent, and starting with 15-20 generic store brand briquettes. I don't even have to use all 4 of my 1" intakes, 3 wide open will absolutely smoke! (pun intended).

When I use Kingsford blue, it's always a struggle to get high temps. With stubbs, I can easily cruise @ 375-400. So I guess my answer is it's not the exhaust size that's important, it's the fuel you're using.

Many folks use the KF blue in their UDS because it likes to burn at such a low temp. I couldn't stand the fact that it wouldn't get as hot as I like to cook at (275-300). Not to mention the horrible ash buildup.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #30
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Just a thought but where is the bottom half of the weber? if you could use that or find one that has much better air opening, could make that into a lid. It would also have better clearance on the top, if needed depending on where your top rack is?

Tags
2 vents weber lid, uds