MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Rowdycue
On the road to being a farker

Default First brisket-advice needed

I know there have been lots of threads about cooking brisket, but I have never been that interested since where I grew up brisket meant corned beef.I will try my first packer tomorrow. It weighs about 9 pounds and I don't want to take the time to cook it at a low temp.My smoking experience has been with smoke and chicken but not beef. I plan to inject it tonight with beef broth and something but haven't decided what. I will cook it on a Brinkman Smoke'n Pro with Brethren suggested mods using Kingsford and a mix of pecan, apple, and pear. I think I will separate the point from the flat so it will all be ready at about the same time.I may try some burnt ends which I have never seen or tasted. Will rub with Bovine Bold. I don't use a thermometer but am used to long cooks without one. I know it won't be ready until it's ready and will test with a probe. Do you brisket cooks have any suggestions or additions such as to injection ingredients or cutting off the point first? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rowdycue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

if you have the space in your cooker I'd cook it whole.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Remove the point after the cook and then make burnt ends......everything else seems good to go....
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I just asked about a brisket, and was given this link. It's worth the time to look at it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...flat+point+fat

bigabyte wrote this and did a wonderful job.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Rowdycue

Thanks, Monty and Mark. I haven't decided what to mix with the beef broth for the injection. Would white wine work? I know the alcohol will help tenderize. I also wondered if I should put some rub in the injection mix.
Grills
DO
Grizzley Outdoor Rotisserie
UDS in the works
George Foreman Grill :laugh:

Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Rowdycue

Thanks, Chef Jim but my d-a computer can't follow that link.
Grills
DO
UDS in the works

Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdycue View Post
Mine didn't either, I'll look for it and send again.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
This one just worked for me, try it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...flat+point+fat

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks, Monty and Mark. I haven't decided what to mix with the beef broth for the injection. Would white wine work? I know the alcohol will help tenderize. I also wondered if I should put some rub in the injection mix.
Well, here's where I come off sounding like a know it all - but I think trying to tenderize brisket is a huge mistake. The only way to get a tender brisket IMO is to cook it correctly. Nothing else will make a difference more than getting that part right. The internal temp needs to be 200 or maybe a little higher. If you over-ride your brain you will cook it for as long as it actually needs (the little voice in your head will tell you to take it off before it's done - trust me!). I used to pull them around 185 thinking that I was overcooking them - that was my mistake and it caused me some embarrassment.

If you think white wine will enhance the FLAVOR - then by all means. I typically use an overdose of beef bouillon - two cubes per one cup of water. Then I may add some beef au jus paste, or whatever.

A good mop:
1 beer
1/2 cup cider vinegar
half an onion diced
2-4 cloves of garlic minced
1 T. rub of your choice
1/2 cup water

Old 04-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Rowdycue

I got it, Jim. Thanks. Also thanks to bigabyte for the tutorial. I read it when posted but had no plans to cook a brisket at that time. I don't even think I'd seen one. Monty, I don't have to inject and it would surely be easier not to. I'm just scrambling around in the dark.
Grills
DO
UDS in the works

Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Monty, I don't have to inject and it would surely be easier not to. I'm just scrambling around in the dark.
You ain't in the dark - you're on the Brethren.
That brisket will turn out awesome!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I'm going with Mr. Monty-know-it-all on this. Keep the point and flat together if you have space, brine or marinade if you want, but don't inject.

The way I do it (How many BBQers does it take to change a light bulb? 100. 1 to change it and 99 to say, "That's not how I learned to do it.")is I use a mustard slather then coat with rub. I take the coated brikset and put it in a ziplock bag, burp out the air, seal it up and stick it in the fridge for as long as I can (preferably 12 -18 hours).

This makes a great crust and the vinegar in the mustard acts as a marinade and pulls the flavor of the rub into the meat (a little anyway).
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Just to be clear - I didn't say "don't inject." I'm simply saying that your injection won't do much to tenderize the meat. I always inject my briskets. I never marinade because I don't think the marinade penetrates the muscles and fibers very well

Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Does wine really tenderize meat? I don't think that assumption is correct. Looks to me like you have gotten great advice, so I won't confuse things any further.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Just to be clear - I didn't say "don't inject." I'm simply saying that your injection won't do much to tenderize the meat. I always inject my briskets. I never marinade because I don't think the marinade penetrates the muscles and fibers very well
Sorry. Didn't mean to misquote. Mea Culpa.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote