MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Brisket prep

When trimming brisket, does anyone actually trim down the sides to ensure that the brisket slices will never be wider than the turn in box? We have done 4 events over the past 2 years and so we are still feeling the process out. But one thing that we have noticed, is that every once in a while, we get slices that are longer than the box is wide. So, instead of trimming after the fact to make the slices fit in the box, we were wondering if it's better to trim it down before cooking. At the very least, the trimmed off pieces might make for some good burnt ends! Found a pic on Google of an uncooked brisket. Crude white lines on pic below representing where we would trim prior to cooking. Thoughts??? thanks!

KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ

Last edited by sincitydisciple01; 05-13-2011 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: added pic
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Trim parallel to the grain before.....use the point for the burnt ends

Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've seen entries in many forms now . . . some trimmed down, some untrimmed.

In each case, I've judged the meat and how appetizing or appealing it is.

An orderly arrangement is always nice - but not absolutely required. Ever seen an Andy Warhol print? Neatness and symmetry don't always mean great. But it helps.

Luckyduck is right - how you slice across the grain is probably more important.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Pre-trim and get the burnt ends from the center of the point.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Worth Smokin' BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Red Therma-Pen[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I pre-trim parallel to the grain so the slices will fit in the box and save the trimmings and grind into brisket burgers. Since I use a full packer, I use the middle of the point for burnt ends, but only if they come out great - if mediocre or poor, I leave them out of the box - no sense in bringing the scores down.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

What measurements are you guys using? I assume you will need to compensate for shrinkage right?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I trim those sides up a little just to get a more uniform shape, not neccesariy to fit the box. I find it also helps me ID the direction of the grain without having to cut into it after it is cooked and all barked up on the outside.

Like the others said get your "burnt ends" from the point if you want to use them.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEarl View Post
I pre-trim parallel to the grain so the slices will fit in the box and save the trimmings and grind into brisket burgers. Since I use a full packer, I use the middle of the point for burnt ends, but only if they come out great - if mediocre or poor, I leave them out of the box - no sense in bringing the scores down.
I agree about leaving bad burnt ends out of the box...overall the hit is less. I am now convinced that if you leave burnt ends out though your appearance score drops roughly by 1 point.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
I agree about leaving bad burnt ends out of the box...overall the hit is less. I am now convinced that if you leave burnt ends out though your appearance score drops roughly by 1 point.
Not necessarily, the last contest I cooked brisket and couldn't use the burnt ends, presentation scores were 9,9,8,9,7,8 but at the contests prior to that with burnt end the scores were 8,8,8,9,9,9; 9,9,9,8,9,9; & 9,9,7,7,7,9 (very low CBJ percentage at this one though). All the boxes looked pretty much identical, with the exception of missing the burnt ends in one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-dat View Post
what measurements are you guys using? I assume you will need to compensate for shrinkage right?
8 -8 1/2 ", not much shrinkage side to side, but lengthwise is a different story.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I use my trusty stanley fat max tape measure , measure and make a cut 3/4 of the way thru the meat . Ask vinny, i still laugh when i i think of the look on his face when he seen me do it at a contest
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 05-14-2011 at 08:09 PM..
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I use my trusty stanley fat max tape measure , measure and make a cut 3/4 of the way thru the meat . Ask vinny, i still laugh when i i think of the look on his face when he seen me do it at a contest
just remember, measure twice...cut once!

this is exactly what i do too, but you can see from my boxes why i'm not a carpenter.

although i'm a dewalt fan myself.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket