Brisket rub clumping up

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hey All,

So it seems that every time, no fail, I cook a brisket, when I go to slice it, the rub ends up clumping up. I have no idea why.

- Rub at least an hour before putting on the cooker fat side down (UDS cooker)
- Wrap tight in foil after 4 hours until done
- Vent for 15-20 minutes, then cambro. SOmetimes in cambro for 3-4 hours

Possible solutions that i would like feedback on:

1. Rub right after injecting, wrap in plastic wrap and back in cooler
2. Cook fat side up for a half the time to firm up the rub before wrapping
3. Anything else that might work?

I look at BBQcritic.com and see all the brisket with a real clean cut edge. Mine has rub all over it.

THese are my last 2 boxes.

Attachments

• brisket pic 2.jpg
    brisket pic 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 219
  • brisket pic.jpg
    brisket pic.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 220
Option 1.Try less rub
Option 2. Wrap it later
Option 3. Dont wrap it at all
Option 4. Use a pan with a lid.
My guess is your not getting enough of a dry bark set before your wrapping. The steam from wrapping it is steaming your bark back into a paste.
Also pay more attention when slicing it. So if your bark is wet your not smearing it everywhere. Same goes when brushing it with ajou. Make sure your ajou or brusk doesnt have rub clumps in it.

the lower picture looks better to me. I would score higher on appearance. Back to the original question, are you using a fine silicone tip brush to "clean" the slices? other than that that, I agree with what was said in the last post

I guess my question would be: Why didn't you just wipe the rub off each piece with a paper towel before boxing?

OK, so far I have the following as possible remedies to try out:

1. Wipe off the knife after each slice. Common sense, duh?!
2. Brushing the slices with au jus. See I do that now with a fine silicone brush.

New question in relation to the old one.

I was just watching youtube and I noticed the a rather well know bbq competitor sliced his brisket from the bottom. SO it was fat side up. Would that help?

Do you slice from rhe bark side or from the fat side?

Do you rinse your brisket after you inject? I rinse the injection off before I rub all my meats

Option 1.Try less rub
Option 2. Wrap it later
Option 3. Dont wrap it at all
Option 4. Use a pan with a lid.
My guess is your not getting enough of a dry bark set before your wrapping. The steam from wrapping it is steaming your bark back into a paste.
Also pay more attention when slicing it. So if your bark is wet your not smearing it everywhere. Same goes when brushing it with ajou. Make sure your ajou or brusk doesnt have rub clumps in it.

I'm sure one or more of those would work....

Instead of brushing on the Au Jus, he might try dipping the slices or using a baster.

The problem is the 3-4 hours in a cambro. All you are doing there is sweating the meat for 3-4 hours adding moisture and making your bark soggy. you need to put that thing back on the smoker after resting in Cambro for 30-45 min to set the bark back.

Bark side currently.

You are pushing or slicing the rub down the meat. If you start from the fat side, after removing the point, you will find its not as messy. Especially if you wipe the knife.

The problem is the 3-4 hours in a cambro. All you are doing there is sweating the meat for 3-4 hours adding moisture and making your bark soggy. you need to put that thing back on the smoker after resting in Cambro for 30-45 min to set the bark back.

I just don't want to take the chance of drying it out. Or am I overthinking it?

Back