22.5 WSM question

BarberQue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was at my local store and seen the 22.5 WSM and was wondering why such a big door on that thing? It's real flimsy and had major gaps. I used to have a Masterbuilt with the same aluminum door but smaller and it was a pos. Had to fab a new every year.
41Q1Vgg4HAL._SS400_.jpg

I used 2 bungees and wrapped them around the smoker and door. It has formed the door to a better fit.

Although I have not used the door to access anything, I do like the flexibility the larger door will provide. I think I will be able to reload fuel, where as that would not be feasible with a small door.

Lastly, I agree it is curious that this one piece is fabricated with less durability than the rest of the smoker.

It would be worth while to fabricate a heavier guage door,would hold its shape & fit better.

The best part about it being flimsy was that it was real easy to (gently) form it into a shape that actually sealed all the gaps when first put together. I do like the bigger door; it's a lot easier to add coals on a long cook or stir them up (as opposed to kicking the side of the WSM until the ash drops).

Back