MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Would this work on guinea pigs?
I have yet to try guinea pigs. My daughter has two in the basement. I'm anxiously waiting for her to get bored with them, but so far that has not yet happened.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Put them on a rotisserie They are probably small enough to leave the hair on- Will help the flavor profile
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
Gentlemen.

2. Cherry? I have a bunch of cherry and apple firewood that's been drying for about a year. Is that OK, or should I stick with the store-bought stuff. Does it -really- affect the taste of salmon?

THANKS AGAIN!
That stuff is JUNK, I will gladly drive up your way and properly dispose of it!!
IMHO, alder is the only way to go!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
That stuff is JUNK, I will gladly drive up your way and properly dispose of it!!
IMHO, alder is the only way to go!!
Alder is the traditional wood for smoking salmon in Finland. It is also quite common in the northwest USA. Unfortunately where I'm at, alder for smoking is not so easy to come by. I did manage to find a source of alder for smoking salmon,

... and yes, I did use the clean stuff, fresh from the bag. I haven't experimented with the "seasoned" wood chips.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
Mklade
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Love steeelhead smoked with alder!!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Resting peacefully for the night getting ready for the big day tomorrow...

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
Gore
Phizzy

Oooooo, can't wait! Are ya gonna use hamster cage wood shavings to smoke it?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
Al Czervik

You know it... Even going to use the seasoned shavings with the little black rice looking bits.
(")_(")

Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
You know it... Even going to use the seasoned shavings with the little black rice looking bits.
Comes in very handy when I run out of those black sesame seeds. Nobody seems to know the difference.

That can be one of our little Brethren secrets.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #25
Suntower
Found some matches.

I'm having a bit of trouble translating but I think I get what you're saying.

That A-Maze-N thing seems like the way to go.. assuming it's not too wide for my round Brinkmann.

To ALL: Thanks for all the VERY HELPFUL replies (well except for the guinea pig ). No pun intended: I have to 'digest' all this a bit.

It may seem silly, but I'm getting pretty excited about this. I've fished around here for -years- and lately it's gotten -boring-. I am not a 'catch and release' kinda guy... when I've got dinner, I'm done unless I schlep a cooler and feel like freezing. (And a lot of things just don't freeze all that great.) ALSO: the truth about this area is that the best fishing is often in winter. As I get older, the thought of freezing my ass off in waders gets less attractive. But if I can get this thing going, it really makes it a lot more fun... if any of that makes sense.

Cheers!

---JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManakooraMan View Post
For your smoker, the charcoal or whatever fuel source propane or electric is just fo heat the wood pellets or chunks. If you want bumbye no check the temperature, then the maze type sawdust burners (amazen or proq) is the way to go. Set and forget. But you do need sawdust. That burn correct.

The way gore and cowgirl did is legit. It will be moister and softer than store bought. I think the commercial kine use fan to blow dry it out a little.
Suntower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Comes in very handy when I run out of those black sesame seeds. Nobody seems to know the difference.

That can be one of our little Brethren secrets.
Too late... The secret is out.

Bumbles love those little black sesame seeds and things that look similar.

By the way, sorry for the threadjack Suntower.

It sounds like you have this under control though so please post pics when you smoke up your first batch.
(")_(")

Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Gore
Phizzy

Threadjack? I have no idea what Mongo talking about.

Sunflower, in all honesty smoking salmon is one of the easiest things to do.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #28
Suntower
Found some matches.

You guys have been so helpful, but I DO have another question(s):

Will this:

work as well as an 'A-Maze-N'?

Not only is it cheaper (always good!) but am I wrong in thinking that the A-Maze-N requires their 'pellets'?

So... Is it worth the extra $ for the A-Maze-N? AND does it -require- the 'pellets'... or can I use -any- flavour chips?

TIA,

---JC
Suntower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #29
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been smoking salmon about 40 years now. I've owned and built several cookers but all I use for salmon is a Luhr Jensen Little Chief smoker. Standard price is $20 at a yard sale around Seattle. In the Pacific Northwest the only proper wood to smoke salmon with is alder. You can buy alder chips at any hardware store. Following is the only recipe I've ever used, from the LJ Little Chief recipe book:

"Little Chief" Smoked Salmon Deluxe

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized salt
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp granulated onion (don't EVER buy "onion powder"!)
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 cup dry white wine

Mix thoroughly. Brine salmon chunks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated. Rinse thoroughly after brining. Pat dry with a paper towel and allow to air dry for at least one hour prior to smoking.

- end of recipe -

I lay out the grates from the LC and put the dried-off brined chunks on the grates. I group all the largest pieces on one grate. I bring in the rack the grates go on, set it up on my counter over a few paper towels to catch drips, and put the grates on the rack, thickest pieces at the bottom nearest the heat. I generally let them air dry for several hours to form a pellicle. Gives the smoke something to stick to. Then into the smoker. In winter you will definitely need the cardboard box around the smoker for insulation. I smoke for about 8 hours, taking the thinnest pieces off earlier than the latest.

Actually, it's very important also to pull the pin bones from your fillets before you brine them. To do that, I use a needle driver which was inexpensive and made in Pakistan but which works great.

I use cheap white wine in half-gallon bottles from Cash'N'Carry. I use Kikkoman soy sauce, no substitution there. I use a small Cambro plastic food container with lid to hold the brine and the fish chunks in my back refrigerator.

Nobody has ever dissed my smoked salmon. I simply *love* this recipe!

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #30
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble translating but I think I get what you're saying.

That A-Maze-N thing seems like the way to go.. assuming it's not too wide for my round Brinkmann.

To ALL: Thanks for all the VERY HELPFUL replies (well except for the guinea pig ). No pun intended: I have to 'digest' all this a bit.

It may seem silly, but I'm getting pretty excited about this. I've fished around here for -years- and lately it's gotten -boring-. I am not a 'catch and release' kinda guy... when I've got dinner, I'm done unless I schlep a cooler and feel like freezing. (And a lot of things just don't freeze all that great.) ALSO: the truth about this area is that the best fishing is often in winter. As I get older, the thought of freezing my ass off in waders gets less attractive. But if I can get this thing going, it really makes it a lot more fun... if any of that makes sense.

Cheers!

---JC
bruh no can use regular smokebox for autopilot mode. da kine maze smoker got the controlled burn. must use sawdust those (not pellets or wood chips or any kine other wood). either amazen or proq depend if you go british or domestic.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote