BBQ Around the World (Graphic Pron!)

C

Capozzoli

Im fascinated with the history of cooking and especially BBQ. As I understand it Barbecue as we know it comes from the word barbacoa. The Buccaneers so named cause they brought with them pigs that they released all over the southern US and Caribbean. These wild pigs still run around down there and I guess are a little remnant of early BBQ history as we know it.

The local natives buried food wrapped in leaves with hot wood coals or raised it up on sticks so it would get a lot of smoke and fire.

Then later Europeans began using salt and smoke to cure meats. Making it possible to store them for long periods of time without refrigeration.

Lately I have been doing a sort of back to basics type of BBQ. Getting into the history of things. Sort of less is more. I have been getting some great results.

The Argentinian way of grilling is really nice, simple yet delicious. Just meat and salt on top of an open fire. Slow roasting meats high over the coals.

Here are some pics that some of you may remember from my introduction post that is MIA.

DSC06463.jpg

DSC06435.jpg

DSC06439.jpg

DSC06690.jpg

DSC06657.jpg

DSC06447.jpg

DSC06441.jpg

DSC06443.jpg

DSC07056-1.jpg

DSC07077.jpg

DSC07137.jpg

So besides American style of BBQ, is anyone experimenting with other ethnic BBQ styles?

Lots of BBQ around the world. Viet Nam, Korea...The cured and smoked sausages and meats of Central and Eastern Europe. Is that considered BBQ?

This is a great site with lots of like minded cooks. Really glad I found my way here.

Thanks,

No real skill required though. Argentinian is easy as 123.

Here are some pics of Korean BBQ on a makeshift table top grill. Thinly sliced beef in a marinade of red pepper, brown sugar, garlic, salt and black pepper, sesame oil and seeds.

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02850.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

DSC02856.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

DSC02854.jpg

DSC02855.jpg

BTW, did I mention that I frickin love pron? :laugh:

Wow! That looks incredible!:cool: That last pic in the first post is kind of scary...but still, it all looks great!

So, smokin Aussie, isnt there a distinctive Australian style of BBQ? Im sure it is more than just throwing shrimp on the barbie. BBQ fruit bat?

Is it like Argentinian? Greek BBQ is the same as Argentinian except with maybe some marinades and what not.

I like your style!! How did the tongure turn out being grilled? Also, are those intestines? If so, how did those turn out grilled? I've only have those fried.

Very nice. The cheek meat on the goat/sheep head is the best part. My dad just made some goat heads a couple weeks ago. Did you eat the brains? Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Looks tasty from here too! I'm with Bob...cheek meat is hard to beat. :-D

Cool! I always wanted to try the Gaucho style but never have... I have been told that there is a very distinct difference in both the charcoal used and the salt that some say contribute to the unique flavors... The closest I have come to it is a Brazilian style Churrascaria that was located on Delk Road in Marietta, Ga called the Copacabana Grill...Alas, it is no more and I hear that now the more expensive places like Fogo de ChĂŁo are all that really remain for authentic Gaucho style ... great thread!

nice....better than 99.99% of any other posts i've seen on this site.

i'm sure you've seen it, but if you are interested in traditional argentine bbq check out francis mallmann's seven fires.

what is that animal in the last pic?

i thought Adam and Eve invented BBQ?

i would like a list of what you cooked. I will admit, some of it looks a we bit scary to me. thats because i am sheltered and have lived in the states and never had REAL food. i thought Mc donalds was real food

Great looking stuff - thanks for posting!

BTW your cattle call post normally gets bombed off the site after a week or so to make room for the other new guys - glad you put these back up & look forward to more very interesting stuff and great pix.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. You sure know how to make a cook feel good.

On the parilla asado grill is morcilla (blood and rice sausage) pork shoulder, reverse spatchcocked chickens, cross cut beef ribs, chuck roast of beef (yes came out perfect with a slow roast)

The offal is beef intestines. Came out like fried. The tongue was wonderful. It was preboiled for a little while though before the grill.

The whole lamb was fantastic, did it at my buds house he spent several years in Argentina and has a really nice grill in his back yard, it has a roof and everything. When we picked up the lamb it was alive. We drove it to the butcher the day before the BBQ and picked it up the next morning. Talk about fresh.

I didnt get any cheek meat but my bud and his dad had at it. The brain was very taste, kinda buttery with a hint of smokey gameness.

Im not sure you guys care about what the green stuff was, I know smokeOCD doesnt care.

I plan on getting more pron going on in here, comming up I am planning some Greek grilling, and the cement mixer tandoori if I ever figure out the clay, and some Mongolian BBQ.

Anyone know where to get some Yack meat?

oh ok it was lamb. I aint gonna lie, for some reason i thought it was a dog or something.. lol sorry i know thats odd of me to think that.

anyway, i think its awesome you cooked all that. good job man.

I usually go big with the Q, not pro, but I try to make an event out of it if Im lighting a fire.

The neighbors start coming around like zombies, its a real horror film.

I wont eat dog but I am not opposed to others doing it. Its all the same.

Check out puppybeef,com I cant figure out if it is real or some kind of rousing joke.

Back