Boys Night BBQ - Brisket, Pulled Pork, ABTs and Jerk wings

SchoonDawg

Reaction score
SWMBO was off in another province again this weekend so I had the bright idea of having all the boys over for a big BBQ. Plans were bolstered when we found out that a good friend would be coming through town on business and be able to join us for the evening.

Saturday morning was preparation time, had some help with this cook which was much appreciated and made everything go quick

The day’s supplies:

img_1051_thumb.jpg

Jerk marinating chicken wings and ABTs

img_1052_thumb.jpg
img_1053_thumb.jpg

Pork shoulder roast for pulled pork (rubbed with Southern Succor)

img_1054_thumb.jpg

Brisket (rubbed with Willie’s One-Derful Rub)

img_1055_thumb.jpg

The brisket went on my newest toy, a New Braunfels offset smoker that I scored on Kijiji. I hadn’t anticipated the brisket being as big as it was, and had to get the vertical smoker going for the pork.

img_1056_thumb.jpg

img_1062_thumb.jpg

Struggled getting temperatures under control in the offset smoker at first. Temperature spiked close to 400 degrees but balanced out and held at 230-250 for 6 hours with no extra charcoal added to the original Minion method lighting.

At four hours the pork was probe tender and 195 degrees, we wrapped it in foil and a towel and held it in a cooler. I hadn’t tried this trick before and it worked great, the pork sat for almost 2.5 hours and was still hot and juicy upon serving.

As more people arrived and less beer was left in the fridge the photo documentation stopped. The ABTs were a hit and will be added to my part BBQ menus for sure, even managed to convince a long time vegetarian to try one!

The jerk wings were put on later in the night when we all got hungry again, they were cooked indirect for 15 minutes or so and then over direct heat for another 5. The marinade recipe was from Weber’s Real Grilling and could have used a little more salt.

The results

Pulled pork:

img_1069_thumb.jpg

Brisket:

img_1067_thumb.jpg

The money shot:

img_1065_thumb.jpg

Back