National Rankings

Looks like its owned by these guys according to WHOIS.

http://www.newsouthbbq.com

I'm surprised that we weren't on the list based on their scoring. We've had five top 10 finishes in 90 days. Most are 8th place, so probably not enough points to break top 200.

no thats this years numbers, cause The Anchormen are on it!!!!!

Cool site... You would think KCBS would provide a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly standings to date as the season progresses rather than just wait until the year is over. I would not think that would require a lot of resources since they have all the data anyway.

From the site on the calculations used:

http://nationalbbqrankings.com/article/4/Themathbehindtherankings

08/08/07

The math behind the rankings.

System Description This week’s article is going to explain how the National BBQ Rankings calculates the rankings each week. Hopefully this will help everyone better understand how the rankings work. The National BBQ Rankings use a rolling 104-week calendar and diminishes. For Example Teams can score points by finishing in the top ten overall with the points going as follows.

RankPoints
1st 15 points
2nd 12 points
3rd 9 points
4th 7 points
5th 6 points
6th 5 points
7th 4 points
8th 3 points
9th 2 points
10th 1 point

The period multiplier starts at 2 and drops .1538 for each period; results older than 104 weeks receive a multiplier of 0. So for example if a team wins a non-bonus contest this weekend that contest is worth 30 points to their overall score. They received 15 points for finishing first at the contest and then the period multiplier of 2.0 multiplies that score. But remember that each week we don’t just add the points earned that week, but that we totally recalculate every contest’s value since points are decaying every week. It is worth noting that points dropped off the end of the 104-week calendar aren’t really worth that much so teams are not losing tons of points from week to week. The period multiplier for the 13th period is .1544 so a contest win that falls into that period is only worth about 2.3 points towards the overall score. I hope that this sheds a little light on how we calculate each teams score, but if you have any questions about the rankings please feel free to contact us. We’d be very happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
The Nat'l site says those rankings are current as of 8/9.

I wonder how they get the results. If they can get the results, they should be able to figure KCBS TOY.

I like it

I was talking with Chad (owner of the site) in Dillard and he will begin to incorporate more sanctioning groups into the overall standings. We've given him a source of scores from the FBA for the past year to work with. Should be a cool resource as it continues to build.

Will be interesting to see how mixing sanctioning bodies will play out each having their own rules etc. Hard to compare if rules & categories are not the same.

I sent him a suggestion about somwhow incorporating team count into the calculations. (ex. 5th at a 15 team contest is not the exactly the same as 5th at a 50-100+team contest).

Just wanted to drop in and mention that the rankings have been updated and will be updated every thursday. One thing of note this week is that Quau is within 2 points of Lotta Bull for the top spot. Depending on what happens this weekend we might have our first new #1.

Also we will begin to add in the FBA contest result starting with the oldest results and moving forward. It will probably take me about 4 updates to get it all entered. Right now we dont have 2 years worth of FBA results, but we are just going to go with what we have and slowly build up to the 104 weeks that we use.

Again if anyone has any questions or comments about the rankings feel free to email me or post them and I will get back to you.

I do have 1 question for you guys though...where do the threads go once they move off the front page. I cant seem to figure out how to move to the second page of threads...thanks

On the page you are choosing a thread, at the bottom it has "display options"... just make the period longer... and you will see past threads.

OK dang it... gotta get back out there soon! we dropped from 145 to 147 this week! Nuts!

Okay, I'm totally confused by this site. According to the math, they calculate 104 weeks, but by subtracting .1538 each week from the 2.0 multiplier, you get a negative multiplier at week 15. So how does that work? Points actually count against you after week 15?

Is a "period" different from a "week"? I don't see where they define period.

Cool site... You would think KCBS would provide a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly standings to date as the season progresses rather than just wait until the year is over. I would not think that would require a lot of resources since they have all the data anyway.

From the site on the calculations used:

http://nationalbbqrankings.com/article/4/Themathbehindtherankings

08/08/07

The math behind the rankings.

System Description This week’s article is going to explain how the National BBQ Rankings calculates the rankings each week. Hopefully this will help everyone better understand how the rankings work. The National BBQ Rankings use a rolling 104-week calendar and diminishes. For Example Teams can score points by finishing in the top ten overall with the points going as follows.

RankPoints
1st 15 points
2nd 12 points
3rd 9 points
4th 7 points
5th 6 points
6th 5 points
7th 4 points
8th 3 points
9th 2 points
10th 1 point

The period multiplier starts at 2 and drops .1538 for each period; results older than 104 weeks receive a multiplier of 0. So for example if a team wins a non-bonus contest this weekend that contest is worth 30 points to their overall score. They received 15 points for finishing first at the contest and then the period multiplier of 2.0 multiplies that score. But remember that each week we don’t just add the points earned that week, but that we totally recalculate every contest’s value since points are decaying every week. It is worth noting that points dropped off the end of the 104-week calendar aren’t really worth that much so teams are not losing tons of points from week to week. The period multiplier for the 13th period is .1544 so a contest win that falls into that period is only worth about 2.3 points towards the overall score. I hope that this sheds a little light on how we calculate each teams score, but if you have any questions about the rankings please feel free to contact us. We’d be very happy to answer any questions.

I'm guessing that a period is 8 weeks.

104/13 = 8

2-(.1538*14) =~ 0

I still don't see why we aren't on the list. We should have 43 points... best I can figure.

August 07 - 8th place
July 07- 7th & 8th
June 07- 8th
May 07- 8th
September 2005 - 2nd

No KCBS top 5's in 2006 that I can remember. It wasn't a great year.

EDIT: I was wrong. I think we have 33 points... just off 200th place, I guess.

Back