MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Default Were getting married in 2012 and we want you!

Ok Ok Okay! I get phone call from outta nowhere. i dont know this lady but she does name drop a friend. I am thinking here we go another I want it for next to nothing call. She starts out my friend gave me your number after we had some of your BBQ last month. Goes on to say Her and soon to be husband want me to cook their rehearsal dinner in 2012. Ok this is a new one for me. I am sure I can knock this out but my question to all of you is does this happen alot? I dont get some request like next weekend graduation party for 125. Turned down another one for the same day. Just seems more and more. Oh well

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Yes, mine started after last year's 4th of July party. I had 2 requests. I just did the first one, 100+- folks last weekend, a wedding reception. I laid fairly low while at it, and come to find out after the fact there are 2 groups of folks inquiring again. I think I'm going to have to come up with a price chart... I cant keep doing this for beer...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll work for BEER and Q
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
mcoupe
On the road to being a farker

I dont know what the rates are, but it would be nice to see what everyone else charges. I do it for a few friends, and charge double the meat prices for butts, and ribs...and this comes to about 25 for about a 5 lb'er. Does this sound right?
mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

I would think that it will vary by location. Mo. Prices I am sure are different than Ca. or NY.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

Just gave a quote for a whole hog, 2 side dishes, 40 -60 people for a wedding rehersal dinner, for around $900. Might be too high, might be to low, but that is the quote we gave and that is for providing the hog, 150 lber.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ashmont

Yes, it gets this way for me around spring,some one smells smoke,follows it and I get ask to do a cook,sure ,as long as I get some wood in exchange(and possibly a tip for the work:)
Here's my Son's Wedding last month:

I don't mind,I get to play with fire and thier meat
Have fun and...

Last edited by Oldschoolbbq; 05-20-2011 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: extra pic
Oldschoolbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, spread the smoke and they will come. Here I am teaching my daughter how to spread the love in our neighborhood. She did great .

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

^^^ Great job Dad!!!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

We did some pricing about 2 years ago from some of the local bbq places for catering and the LOWEST price was about $12.00 per person. Of course some of the more gormet type cooks that cooked everything offsite and dropped it off in their pans and let us serve was around $60.00 per person.
Most catering places charge by the person, and if you do a little research on the internet for catering in your area, you're bound to find someone that cooks similar to you and has prices posted.
I think that prices can be adjusted as you go along in your business... supply/demand type thing. If you are in high demand, you can up your prices... I personally wouldn't start out any lower than $12.00 per person for a couple of meats and a couple of sides.
Of course, I have NO practical experience in this area, as I've never acutally DONE a paid gig... But one day soon, hope to!
Kenny Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

A pretty standard rule of thumb is triple your ingredient cost:
It takes a little getting used to, but figure out how much one plate of food will cost wholesale. Include everything on the plate in basic ingredients. So say your pulled pork sandwich, slaw and potato salad cost you $4.00 to buy the ingredients. Here's your calculation

Ingredients - $4.00
Overhead - $4.00 (fuel, plates, all the support expendables)
Profit - $4.00 (No profit is NOT a nasty word)
Plate Price - $12.00

Your ONLY wiggle room here is how much you pay yourself. Don't sell yourself short! People always want freebies, I don't know about you, but I don't have the budget to feed the whole neighborhood for free!