Gauging interest

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am trying to see if there would be any interest in a "UDS build kit". I know some people have trouble finding the stainless hardware and the expanded steel and when they do it isn't too cheap. I am looking into possibly putting together a kit that would include these plus everything else needed (except drum, thermo, and grate(s)). It is looking like I would be able to sell these for $40-$50 + shipping. Shipping would be actual costs and I am hoping to be able to get it all into a USPS flat rate box.

Before I go and get everything in bulk I am just looking to see if there would be any interest. Thoughts?

While I think the appeal of a UDS is the "design it yourself" mentality, and not using kit parts, I bet you would sell some kits.:thumb: After all, people are buying pre-built ones, right?

That is pretty much my thought. it would be for the people that don't want to spend much time searching for all the parts and honestly it is probably cheaper too. I know just to get 4sqft of expanded steel is almost $20 at home depot around here and you would need to be able to cut that yourself. This will come with up to 5 sqft already precut.

It is also just a basic one with a ball valve, 2 nipples with caps and magnets to cover 4 holes in the lid. If nothing else it would still make a good starting point for someone to add their own touches too.

Certainly some people would buy a kit, but everything you need to build a UDS can be purchased from a Lowes or Home Depot for a lot less than $40 - $50. Keep that in mind when pricing.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly some people would buy a kit, but everything you need to build a UDS can be purchased from a Lowes or Home Depot for a lot less than $40 - $50. Keep that in mind when pricing.

I priced it at my HD and it is about $45 and that is for 1 ft^2 less expanded steel than I would be including and also not including the SS nuts, bolts, and washers. Also you would need to be able to cut the expanded steel yourself if you did that. My HD doesn't even sell the SS parts either.

Don't take that the wrong way. I am not trying to argue at all and for all I know HD prices might vary greatly depending on location, I am just saying how I came up with the price.

UDS Kit

Great concept for the beginning smoker that wants real barbeque. Start with a few and "test the waters"
Good Luck------

Great concept for the beginning smoker that wants real barbeque. Start with a few and "test the waters"
Good Luck------

Thats what I am thinking. Only problem is that to make any profit I would need to buy in pretty big bulk. I guess it wouldn't be bad though to just buy smaller quantities at higher prices and sell the first 10 or so at little to no profit just to see.

I guess it wouldn't be bad though to just buy smaller quantities at higher prices and sell the first 10 or so at little to no profit just to see.

I am reminded of the old joke that ends: "Pancho - we need a bigger truck!"

Good luck in the endevour, hope you make some bank. But for me half the fun was CL scrounging (you should see my fire basket) and the hundred trips to Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Harbour Freight. Everybody's different though and there may be a lot of takers out there.

I think you could sell a design kit with the hard to find bolts and nuts and temp probe ports.
Maybe a basic sketch for build, the hardware kit and let the customer pick up the expanded metal from the box store. 20.00 range
Maybe an upgraded kit with firebasket/ash catch included. 50.00 range
Not everyone has the time to read thru the mega uds build thread.
Maybe sell complete kits with a barrel.
jon

jon

If I had the option to buy a kit with all of the parts for within $10 - $20 dollars of what I could buy the parts myself, I would have done it. Definitely. Maybe more, depending on the quality.

But, I would expect the kit to come with the grills and everything I need. I would also expect it to be a little better quality or more finished than what I may otherwise do. By this I mean that I would expect the fire box to assemble easily and be like other kits you get form the store that just 'snap together'. I would also expect you to offer the HF step bit as an option. And hard to do, but if you had an option for a guaranteed to fit dome lid, I would pay good money for that.

There are quite a few people that like to build things and are willing to pay a premium for a premium kit. I like to build speakers. Some of the big parts retailers offer kits. Traditionally they have been cheaper and poorer designs. But a few years ago a guy on one of the forums started offering high end kits as a side business. Jed reports that demand is very strong for his high end kits and he is doing quite well. This is a one man business out of his house: http://clearwaveloudspeaker.com/

Thanks everyone for all the tip and advice. For now I only want just 1 or 2 options and not different kits. If these are popular then I will probably offer a few different kits.

If I had the option to buy a kit with all of the parts for within $10 - $20 dollars of what I could buy the parts myself, I would have done it. Definitely. Maybe more, depending on the quality.

But, I would expect the kit to come with the grills and everything I need. I would also expect it to be a little better quality or more finished than what I may otherwise do. By this I mean that I would expect the fire box to assemble easily and be like other kits you get form the store that just 'snap together'. I would also expect you to offer the HF step bit as an option. And hard to do, but if you had an option for a guaranteed to fit dome lid, I would pay good money for that.

There are quite a few people that like to build things and are willing to pay a premium for a premium kit. I like to build speakers. Some of the big parts retailers offer kits. Traditionally they have been cheaper and poorer designs. But a few years ago a guy on one of the forums started offering high end kits as a side business. Jed reports that demand is very strong for his high end kits and he is doing quite well. This is a one man business out of his house: http://clearwaveloudspeaker.com/

Honestly, there is no point in me adding the in the grates because they are very readily available at HD, lowes, walmart, etc and I am not able to get any sort of wholesale or bulk discount on them so there wouldn't be any savings. It would also increase the cost of shipping. Other than that and the thermo it would have everything needed.

I am going to be offering two different options for the firebox though. A square and a round one. The square one would not require you to purchase a separate grate. The cost for both would be the same, at least at first.

I am looking into the possibility of getting step bits wholesale and offering them as an option, but again that would be later once I knew these would be popular. I also don't even know if it would be possible to offer a guaranteed to fit dome lid.

Hopefully by this weekend I will have some pictures and true kit and price up and available for at least a limited release to see if there is much interest.

Thanks for all the advice

I've been following your thread on HBT and am down for a single purchase hardware buy once I find a drum. Thanks man

Well this is going to happen, at least in a limited fashion if nothing else. I am ordering everything today to be able to put together 10-12 kits. Depending on how it goes I will put in more orders for about 50 more and go from there.

I will have an exact price and pictures up hopefully by this weekend.

Thanks everyone for all the tip and advice. For now I only want just 1 or 2 options and not different kits. If these are popular then I will probably offer a few different kits.

Honestly, there is no point in me adding the in the grates because they are very readily available at HD, lowes, walmart, etc and I am not able to get any sort of wholesale or bulk discount on them so there wouldn't be any savings. It would also increase the cost of shipping. Other than that and the thermo it would have everything needed.

I am going to be offering two different options for the firebox though. A square and a round one. The square one would not require you to purchase a separate grate. The cost for both would be the same, at least at first.

I am looking into the possibility of getting step bits wholesale and offering them as an option, but again that would be later once I knew these would be popular. I also don't even know if it would be possible to offer a guaranteed to fit dome lid.

Hopefully by this weekend I will have some pictures and true kit and price up and available for at least a limited release to see if there is much interest.

Thanks for all the advice

I think he gave you some good advice.

Consider: once you have the kit up, users will have a list of what they'll need. They've got to go to Lowes or HD anyways for the grates/therm. So why not just pick up the hardware while they're at it? No markup or shipping cost, and maybe more importantly, no waiting.

I think he gave you some good advice.

Consider: once you have the kit up, users will have a list of what they'll need. They've got to go to Lowes or HD anyways for the grates/therm. So why not just pick up the hardware while they're at it? No markup or shipping cost, and maybe more importantly, no waiting.

I can't speak for all HDs and lowes but they don't neccisarily have everything you would need and if they do it is fairly expensive. At my HD (can't even get it at lowes) expanded steel is $19 for 4 ft^2. I will be including 5 ft^2 precut and also stainless zip ties. Just buying those 2 things at retail most people would already be well over my price that includes much more.

I am open to all suggestions though and if I can get the grates at wholesale or any sort of discount then I would include them too.

What I really want to be able to do if these do end up being popular is offering a few different kits. One very basic, 1 middle range (along the lines of what I am doing now), and 1 with everything incuding grates and thermo. That won't come until I know these will sell and I am able to get some wholesale deals.

Back