MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
Well hell I'll try to get the paint off. Thanks for pointing that out. I figured after a few dry runs anything in the paint will be gone.
You really think it needs to come off? My smoker is powder coated but those cheap offsets are painted inside.
I had a cheap offset (Silver Smoker) and there was no paint inside.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Ok paint came off easy in the sandblaster (note to self). Just not sure how long mine needs to be until i start taking temps. dual probe thermo came in today so we will see. ButtBurner is that 1/4"? Looking good
yes I got real lucky on that. At work we have a scrap metal bin that they sell to a recycle when it fills up. Its full of odds and ends, I work for an auto parts supplier and we have a lot of junk castings that we collect.

I was back by it a few days ago, here is this wire basket full of real nice stock like this.

It was going to the recycler the next morning!

So I snagged it all and put it in my office. We have a tool room at work so today I chopped some to size with our power hack saw. I have lots left. A lot of different sizes, angle iron etc.

I am going to season mine like cast iron, wipe it down with Crisco and let it burn in a few times.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

BayoustateBBQ, I would cut the bottom flat part of your baffle into 3rds. That way, you can use the extra 2 pieces as tuning plates like ButtBurner's to dial in your temps.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Yes that is what I was thinking about cutting it. Really would have preferred some thicker stock but I used what I had. This 18 guage really conducts the heat, kind like putting a pie plate on a burner. Conduction in this instance may not work in my favor. Might still have more heat towards the firebox. Anyway, gotta start somewhere. Got my dual probe remote thermo yesterday so we will see what has changed today.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
BayoustateBBQ

Ok guys got every thing set up and starting testing. Right off the bat I noticed the firebox side was still 50 degrees different. So I noticed some gaps along side the baffle and I welded in the plates to block the airflow. Now keep in mind before using the dial thermos I was easily getting a 100 degree difference. For a bench mark can you get the temps perfect all the way across or is there a range that is acceptable?
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

The metal baffle will eventually assume the temp of the heat source.

Where are your thermostats in relation to grill level? I've seen some weird locations for them on some smokers even from the factory. It's good that you have more accurate t'stats now. I would mount a dial type t'stat no more than 3" above the grill surface maybe using 2 or even 3 depending on the size of your smoker.

The rest will be fire control. Add more fuel as needed but not too much etc. That rig should have a sweet spot. Once you find it, it's ON.

Just my .02
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

You need to weld a lip on that so it rests on top of the screws.Here is what mine looks like. I have the same OK Joe. I got this from Horizon smokers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker mod 2.jpg (71.6 KB, 77 views)
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
BayoustateBBQ

Well I'm using dual digital remote thermos the 732 something. I have one i'4of the way fromthefirebox in the middle and the other one 1/4 away from the chimney. Leaks were all fixed and I was still getting a good 50 degrees hotter by the fire box. I'm sure it's because the metal is so thin, it has actually turned blue so that sucker is radiating heat like no body's business. I should have used 1/4 steel. What I have done now is custom cut one of those silver thermo fire resistant blankets and placed it on where it was turning blue. It looks like I'm now down to 20 degrees between two sides. I was afraid to shorten the length of the baffle in fear the side next to the fire box would get any hotter. It's looking like I have a 30 degree difference between the two sides now. Fire box being hotter. Is that acceptable? What kind of degree temps are people getting from the plates from horizon?
[/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

+ or - 5 degrees with my baffle from Horizon, but I don't make huge fires either.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
BayoustateBBQ

Well I just added the thermo blanket to see what it did. I doubled it making it an r value of 4 to 8. I'm now sitting at 250 12" from the fire box and 214 12" from the chimney. The thermo blanket is coming off, it's not meant for that long. I sure hate to have to order from longhorn and wait freaking 3-4 weeks for a "non stock" item term heat
Keep in mind I used to be 250 by the chimney and 350+ by the fire box.(note to self: nickle holding up as dollar)
[/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Well I just added the thermo blanket to see what it did. I doubled it making it an r value of 4 to 8. I'm now sitting at 250 12" from the fire box and 214 12" from the chimney. The thermo blanket is coming off, it's not meant for that long. I sure hate to have to order from longhorn and wait freaking 3-4 weeks for a "non stock" item term heat
Keep in mind I used to be 250 by the chimney and 350+ by the fire box.(note to self: nickle holding up as dollar)
Fire rated calk might work with a sheet metal cover and bottom.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #27
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
im sure you could get some 1/4 stock cut to length at a metal yard for less than the horizon baffle and not have to wait for it

I welded mine up but have not fired it up get. wont be till next week to try it

I am at my cabin now in N Mich snowmobiling. I am getting ready to throw a 9 lb butt on my WSM clone, then hit the trails!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
BayoustateBBQ

Well I finally cut some 18" pieces of angle and laid them like ^^^ on the 45 degree part that has the most heat and I got it down to a 20 degree difference. seems kinda like some of the angle reflects the heat back to the firebox.. I've basically gonefrom150 degree difference down to 20 degree difference so it some improvement.. I made my baffle the same dimmensions as the horizon one but 18g steel was my enemy. I see horizon uses 3/16".. I have some 12"x12" squares from another project. My horizontal band saw stock opening isn't 12" wide enough and I don't think my old vertical is up for cutting 1/4. I'll stop tweaking it and smoke something on sun before I go any further.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Sounds like you are there

I would be happy with a 20 degree difference. most foods wont know the difference anyway

the angle iron is a good idea.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think 20 degrees is bad either. You can always move food around too.