MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #10531
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Drilled the intakes and burned my barrel out on Sunday - got one with a flat lid and the lever closure/clamp. I got my wood for the burn from the shop teacher at school (I'm a teacher, too.) I picked up the step drill bits at HF - how did I ever live without these things? Having the right tools to do a job sure makes life a lot easier! Anyway, I also grabbed a knotted cable/wire wheel, and tried that out on the inside tonight. Looks like by Saturday night I'll have myself a UDS! My wife can't wait for it to be done, because it's pretty much all I talk about right now. Thanks to everyone who has put some input in here! I'm learning from the best!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #10532
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Example

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #10533
BubbaCoy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
My question, do you guys recommend a "diffuser" and can I put a water tray that close to the coals? thanks, ~Anthony
Some will say that using a diffuser of any kind is sacrilege, and that you're not making "true" BBQ if you use one. After several cooks without a diffuser, I added a large stainless bowl to my UDS, and find that I get better results and flavor. The flavor is more like my WSM, and the family prefers that profile over the un-diffused UDS.

My bowl is mounted just below the lower grate. I use it dry, no water or sand. I just wrap it in foil for easier cleanup.

Everyone has a preference, one way or the other. Give one a try and decide what you like.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #10534
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Those "true" bbqers also consider our upright drum smokers not true bbqing.
They call it modified, direct grilling...
I just let the meat speak for itself :D

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #10535
jonboi6
Found some matches.

How is it not true bbq? Long slow cook of a tough piece of meat. Melts like butter when you eat it. That's bbq!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #10536
Greyeagle
Knows what a fatty is.

Original BBQ wasn't offset fire ...but over coals
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #10537
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

The point is, the UDS was never meant to use a diffuser or water pan. If you want to go for it, but classically its not used.

A UDS lets the drippings keep the meat moist, instead of a water pan/diffuser. It offers a different flavor, but saying one is better than the other is absurd. Different strokes for different folks.

On top of that if you like the flavor of the WSM and modded a UDS to get closer to that flavor, why not just keep using the WSM?

And the UDS needs to get the grease buildup on it, keeping it clean is counter productive, in my opinion, on the way it is classically used.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #10538
BubbaCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
On top of that if you like the flavor of the WSM and modded a UDS to get closer to that flavor, why not just keep using the WSM?
I'm in this category. The reason I added a diffuser bowl is that I first bought a 18.5" WSM, used it for a few months, and then stumbled on the UDS concept. After building one, and comparing the flavor of WSM against UDS, my family & I preferred what we started with (WSM), so I added the bowl. Plus, the larger size of the UDS is very nice.

I really wish I had read about the UDS first. I still have the 18.5 WSM, but have not used it since I built the UDS. I should sell it, but I can't bring myself to do so.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #10539
arne

I was just wondering, I have a couple of old 11" drums for vegetable oil. As it is hard to find expanded metal at a decent price, I was thinking of using the old drums for a charcoal basket, drill them all around and put them on bolts for height. Would that work if I would make it 15" high to hold about as much as the 'regular' 13x12 baskets? Another option could be to get a baked clay pot within the UDS as a charcoal basket and make a 2" round hole in the side to fit the 2" pipe that comes from my ball valve. Would that hybrid kamado style help heat and balance, or not?
arne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #10540
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne View Post
I was just wondering, I have a couple of old 11" drums for vegetable oil. As it is hard to find expanded metal at a decent price, I was thinking of using the old drums for a charcoal basket, drill them all around and put them on bolts for height. Would that work if I would make it 15" high to hold about as much as the 'regular' 13x12 baskets? Another option could be to get a baked clay pot within the UDS as a charcoal basket and make a 2" round hole in the side to fit the 2" pipe that comes from my ball valve. Would that hybrid kamado style help heat and balance, or not?
I think the drum basket will work fine as long as you get enough holes for air. As for size I would make it big enough to hold 10 pounds of charcoal.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #10541
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Basket update with diffuser holder

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #10542
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #10543
tsanchez

So seems my insertion of a firebox in my UDS is not common, I did it so if I wanted to use regular wood pieces I could but it never occured that the flavor would change from cooking directly over the coals. Whats the difference as I just made this and have nothing to compare.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153204

tsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #10544
Puget BBQ
Found some matches.

up to page 450. I think you guys are adding pages faster than I can read Arghhhhh.

Slow cooking deserves slow reading.
Puget BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #10545
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I made the charcoal basket as most typically do with the charcoal grate from. 22.5" weber and expanded metal. I also got the lid from a 30 gallon drum and welded it to the bottom of the basket to help with ash clean up. Being totally frugal or without any mechanical skills you can do the same with a metal milk crate to use as you charcoal basket. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360344328.288017.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360344378.553994.jpg
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker