Calif State Championship in Dana Point

There are 76 teams listed on the CBBQA site. It is one of several state championships held throughout CA during the year.

I understand the entry is free at this event.
For walking around and asking questions, Friday evening is the best time to visit with cooks and teams.
There will be sampling sales going on Saturday. Many teams sell extra meat they cooked. You can purchase tickets for samples.
The busiest time for cooks is late mornings to early afternoon, say between 10 am and 1:30 pm, as the teams will be focused on their turn-ins.
Stop by and say hi to Funtime BBQ.
Benny

Hmmmmmmm

Friday night might work out good for my BBQ partner in crime, but I thought there was a whale watching tour and a cocktail reception for the competitors???

Saturday I'll come back with the misses to do some tasting.

FYI -~ There is also a micro beer fest down the road in Laguna Beach to wash it all down afterwards.

Friday night might work out good for my BBQ partner in crime, but I thought there was a whale watching tour and a cocktail reception for the competitors???

Saturday I'll come back with the misses to do some tasting.

FYI -~ There is also a micro beer fest down the road in Laguna Beach to wash it all down afterwards.

If you are there from about 7pm on you will get to see and meet the teams and talk BBQ with the competitors in a relaxed environment. This is a great group of folks and if you approach them with respect and have questions, you will be well rewarded for your time.

My team was at this contest last year and it was one of the highlights of our year. Nice location, well run and a good time for all.

Back