MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #31
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Thank the elected officials in DC for a lot of this problem, they are the ones that passed the requirement that 30% or so of all corn production must go to produce ethanol. Never mind about food for people or livestock. Di**heads!

I think it is a location thing though, I just paid $3.39 for CAB packers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Or you could thank the corn lobbyists who pushed for laws making it illegal to sell ethanol that is not corn sourced.

Truth is, there is low cost beef out there, but, you have to want the right cut in the right location. Right now, tri-tip could not be easier to find out here. Cheap and plentiful, and some really good looking ones. No kidding though, many of the higher end butcher shops are selling brisket and even packers, if you ask. And that is really different from the past in CA.
You both are wrong about ethanol. There is a by-product from the production of ethanol called distillers grains. This is used as feed for cattle. So blaming ethanol doesn't hold water in this case.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #32
FMJ
Found some matches.

Default Ethanol myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Thank the elected officials in DC for a lot of this problem, they are the ones that passed the requirement that 30% or so of all corn production must go to produce ethanol. Never mind about food for people or livestock. Di**heads!

I think it is a location thing though, I just paid $3.39 for CAB packers.
Feedlots use all the distillers grain they can get, it's actually higher in protein than ground corn. Very little corn product is "consumed" in the ethanol process.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #33
BigBellyBen77
Knows what a fatty is.

The shortage of corn as well as severe droughts have led to a drop in supply. My parents have a cattle operation in Colorado and have had to sell some of the herd off and may have to do more. The other issue driving prices up is with gas prices high the transportation cost increases. I can usually find brisket for around 2.40/lb but am contacting some local beef producers about buying directly from them.
BigBellyBen77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #34
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBen77 View Post
The shortage of corn as well as severe droughts have led to a drop in supply. My parents have a cattle operation in Colorado and have had to sell some of the herd off and may have to do more. The other issue driving prices up is with gas prices high the transportation cost increases. I can usually find brisket for around 2.40/lb but am contacting some local beef producers about buying directly from them.

This is what I've been told as well. Farmers selling off their herds and the rising prices of fuel driving up transportation cost.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #35
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

If you can find packers around here, they're gonna set you back about $50-$60 in the few places I've seen them. And stuff like flank steak and skirt steak-about $15-$20 for a piece. What's funny is that there are bazillions of beef cattle grown here-most of the land is too steep to crop farm, so it's mostly cow pastures. Now pork-it's pretty cheap. I bought whole butts for .99 a lb. a couple weeks ago.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #36
bigticket1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
You both are wrong about ethanol. There is a by-product from the production of ethanol called distillers grains. This is used as feed for cattle. So blaming ethanol doesn't hold water in this case.
Exactly - the main reason for potential higher beef prices is the severe drought that has caused cow-calf producers in Texas are other big cattle states to liquidate their cow herds , which will eventually lead to lower supplies.
bigticket1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #37
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Thanks, I haven't seen any in my area. I still check the local stores from time to time, but I can't recall seeing less than $5/ pound in I don't know how long. Even our Costco is never below $5/pound if they even have it at all.
Where are you?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #38
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

well corn prices suppose to be cheaper this year,and cattle prices have drop some , in the next few month they should be dropping, but like someone said brisket is a popular meat
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Here in PA brisket is expensive. Even at the wholesale clubs your paying $4.00/lb. I found that your better off getting a pre-trimmed brisket for $5.00/lb because the amount of fat you would trim off would more then make up for that extra $1/lb. Plus they tend to pre-trim the briskets with more meat on them. I have a rule of thumb , well 3 thumbs...If the flat end is less then 3 thumbs thick of meat it doesnt go into my shopping cart. I laugh when i see a brisket being sold with 3 inches of fat and 1 inch of meat at the flat end.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #40
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Clearly I live in the wrong place, briskets run about $6.00 a pound, and the funny thing is I almost never see them on sale but I can regularly buy Porterhouse steaks for $5.00 a pound and the Butts $3.00+.
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #41
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

I don't do brisket anymore, I like eating it but won't pay for it, not when I can still get chicken at reasonable prices. Haven't done ribs in awhile for the same reason, when I want beef I'll try and find a chuck roast on sale and do Pepper Stout or make burnt ends. Tastes the same in the end.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #42
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Chicken costs me more than brisket these days

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #43
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Im addicted to smoking briskets. Once you perfect making them, you wont want butts,ribs,or chickens anymore. But, judging by my nickname you can clearly see im bias.

I havent tried smoking chuck roast yet, but I rarely see them under $3.49/lb so not much cheaper then brisket. I hear people talk about other cuts, but ive not seen the cuts mentioned in any grocery or wholesale clubs in my area.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #44
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WareZdaBeef View Post
Im addicted to smoking briskets. Once you perfect making them, you wont want butts,ribs,or chickens anymore. But, judging by my nickname you can clearly see im bias.

I havent tried smoking chuck roast yet, but I rarely see them under $3.49/lb so not much cheaper then brisket. I hear people talk about other cuts, but ive not seen the cuts mentioned in any grocery or wholesale clubs in my area.
I've yet to taste a brisket this good.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #45
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post