***VOTE- BBQ Brethren "Roots" Throwdown -VOTE***

Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Roots" Throwdown

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It is time to decide the winner of the [size=+2]"Roots"[/size] Throwdown!

The winner will be announced after the poll closes on Saturday 5/29.

Click Here to go to the Throwdown thread, or click on the person's name for more pics/info on the entries.

[size=+2]Gore[/size]
1283134_Gore.jpg

[size=+2]ecode[/size]
1287126_ecode.jpg

[size=+2]King[/size]
1287549_King.jpg

[size=+2]FattyMac[/size]
1287557_FattyMac.jpg

[size=+2]BigButzBBQ[/size]
1287867_BigButzBBQ.jpg

[size=+2]Chef Jim[/size]
1289061_Chef_Jim.jpg

[size=+2]Jonny Rotisserie[/size]
1289753_Jonny_Rotisserie.jpg

[size=+2]Southern Smoker[/size]
1290208_Southern_Smoker.jpg

Man... this was tough. All of those are amazing looking food pics. I think there needs to be categories.

Big Butz's "Rootatouille Pie" definitely scores for the spirit of the throwdown and I bet it tasted awesome, but the pic didn't make me want to eat it.

Southern Smoker's "French Onion Soup with Garlic Confit served in grilled onion bowls takes it for pure culinary artistry but I just couldnt' get "Bobby Flay meets Barefoot Contessa" out of my head :shocked:.

But in the end, the pic that made me want to grab a fork and dig in was Johnny Rotisserie's "Grilled Potato Salad" and after I read the ingredients, I knew what I was going to be cooking this weekend along with some bacon-wrapped corn-on-the-cob.
Thanks Johnny :clap2:

I had to go with Chef Jim...those onions just cried out to me. I gotta try that!!!! :thumb:

I went with Gore I love the KISS method and it looks so good

gotta say Chef JIms onions look awesome, but it is not fair as I am an onion junkie

My vote goes to Fatty Mac. What could be more simple than potatoes and bacon. Two of my favorite food groups.

I'm gone for a few days and Bob had me believing there would be all kinds of stuffed potatoes and potato skins. I was set to vote for the best looking of the lot. I couldn't wait to taste them, and not a one! Well, now I've got another tough decision -- looks awfully tasty.

edit: Really thought I had a zero going with this one, but I think Smokey Al has a thing for Ninja Squirrel -- this is the second time he's voted for a plate featuring the sous chef. Wonder if his girlfriend knows he has a thing for furry rodents? Hmmmm, looks like it might be a characteristic of "Guys named Al."

This was tough, some amazing foods I want to try myself, find my roots so to speak. From Chef Jim's amazing array of colors to Big Butz layered pie, wow what a choice. But when it came time to decide, I just could not get past Southern Smokers onion soup in a grilled onion bowl, made me ready for dinner and it's only 7:30 in the morning!

Southern Home Boy,

You will end up with a real tasty dish this weekend. I wanted to mention that the recipe I was borrowing from on this also calls for celery seeds an thyme. I went with extra fresh rosemary instead this time because I had some fresh handy and it was a great variation, but the original is great, too.

--Jonny Rotisserie

These are all such impressive entries.

Chef Jim I have always struggles with how to grill onions to cook them through with out burning them, your idea is inspired. I'm going to try it as soon as I can.

Onion bowls, WOW!

Now all I want is potatoes for dinner.

Well, this one is really tough.

ecode, Beautiful job and I just know that carrot cake tastes as good as it looks. I could definitely eat about half of that! :rolleyes:

King, I love sweet potatoes and those look delicious, just the way I like them.

FattyMac, that is a gorgeous picture and I just love the temptation over those little roadblocks

BigButz, creative as always. Definitely want to try that. Love the flavor combination.

Chef Jim, finally someone else who appreciates some beets. I like that you mixed the chicken in.

Jonny, once again a perfect meal in a perfect locale. I think I want your job!

Southern Smoker, that is a great idea and something I want to try. Did you really use that much cheese (a quarter round from your before and after pics) in those three little bowls. I sure hope so!

Dang. Peanut Butter beats the Holy be-hay-zeus out of chicken salad. I was hoping for another notch in your spatula Gore!

Dang. Peanut Butter beats the Holy be-hay-zeus out of chicken salad. I was hoping for another notch in your spatula Gore!

What can I do? I thought it was guaranteed too. I had no idea these guys had the hots for Ninja Squirrel! It's probably the mask. I think I read once that squirrels look sexy in them.

Thanks for your comments, It was a lot of fun to make and was even more delicious to savour. We used tons of cheese and about a cup of soup per large onion, vidalia, white and red. I would highly recommend trying it, the added flavour from the onion bowl was just unbelievable.
After the soup was gone, what to do with the "bowls"..?

My lovely wife made this great onion & garlic tart from the leftovers... she has been making them for years...

P1010001-2-2-1.jpg

Needless to say it wasn't hard to get a seat by ourselves at the movies...LOL

Gore... that peanut butter sammich is beggin to be eaten with a glass of ice cold coke!!!:clap2:

Just keep your lovely wife out of this. Team Husbands is having a hard enough time as it is!

.... OK, she can come play, too. That looks great! Guerry, Alan, better step it up!

Gore, our dogs should be hunting soon too.:wink:

Back