MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #31
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
Hmmm, i would think a horizontal offset might be best. Get the firebox off to the side instead of underneath. Would need some kind of pistons to assist with opening the pit, a design like the pitmaker offset snipers. A fully insulated cook chamber, especially the bottom. Think about taking an oldschool steel desk, build a cook chamber on top of it, and an insulated firebox to the side.
In reading a little more of the thread, i think the steel desk idea is a good one. Also, pellets might be the best answer for fuel source. Normally the top of the hopper might be to high, but if you look at the design of the fec120 with it's fire pot outside of the cook chamber and low to the ground, you can use that concept to make the hopper lower.

I am envisioning a insulated box just sitting right on top of the desk, maybe 2 rows. maybe make it a side by side double door where they both open from the center out, with slam latches. Then each of the two rows can each be separated into 2 shelves, giving 4 independent shelves that can each pull out. I think someone out there also makes a aftermarket pellet system that you can integrate into this.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #32
Mr.OiSat
is one Smokin' Farker

This is a very interesting topic and some great thoughts so far. I worked with disabled people for a year after I finished school and what I think should work is having the grill / smoker L- shaped so you can "drive in" that would allow bigger working surface without bending too far.
For the firebox I think an offset with an lid that opens to the side could work too.
That's my ideas so far.
Mr.OiSat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #33
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, I just been busy with other "projects".

As many pointed out, there are lots of good options if someone has the option of building from scratch or commissioning a custom build. So, I've been focusing my efforts on what it would take to retrofit existing multipurpose cookers like kettles & ceramics eggs. Some of the key design criteria seem to be lowering the stand so the cooking grate and charcoal racks are more easily accessible, improving the lid/hinge systems for easier operation and providing some sort of burn safety bumper to keep folks away from the hot stuff.

I appreciate the good thoughts and interest.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #34
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

It broke my heart to turn down the unit from Humphreys.

Dave, WRT retrofitting an Egg or WSM, I wouldn't be able to use that well, as I can't load the charcoal or manage the fire from a seated position. Just FYI. I'm sure others that aren't as bad off as I am could, though.

I'm beginning to think God wants me to give up BBQing.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #35
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
I'm beginning to think God wants me to give up BBQing.
Noooo, He may just want you to transfer your wealth of knowledge to Drew/Lani.

Peace brother.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #36
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcedar View Post
Noooo, He may just want you to transfer your wealth of knowledge to Drew/Lani.

Peace brother.

Hi Al!!!
Hope ya been doin' well!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #37
Mo-Dave

I don't know if they are still made, but some of the older Treager pellet cookers had a sliding door, similar to a miniature garage door the raised up and into the cooking chamber. With an extension of some kind, I think that mite work. Also Gorilla pellet grills have a door the slides sideways, with round shelves that can be rotated to access the meat.

For a vertical smoker maybe a door that operates like a side door on a mini van that pulls open a little then slides sideways, out of the way.

A setup that has rotating shelving like an Old Hickory could work for easy access to the food.
Dave

Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
chambersuac

Mo-Dave, THOSE are the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Just kidding. Actually, I love the idea of a sliding door. I actually asked a fabricator about that awhile back - not Humphrey's - and was told it would be too hard and/or too expensive. I still think it's a great idea.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]

Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #39
chambersuac

FTR, smokinit (Kevin) offered me a great deal on a customized Humphrey's brand smoker. Even with the great deal he's offering, I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for it. I may be crazy for even thinking about it, but dang it, I miss being able to BBQ. To make it a better deal, he's offering to pick it up from the builder and try to get a Brethren train (tag team) down here.

I know I'm stupid for even considering it - even with a layaway - right? I'm being selfish, I know. I should stand down, right? Crud!

No, I'm not addicted to Q ;)

Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #40
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Mo-Dave, THOSE are the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Just kidding. Actually, I love the idea of a sliding door. I actually asked a fabricator about that awhile back - not Humphrey's - and was told it would be too hard and/or too expensive. I still think it's a great idea.
There for a moment, the way you started out, I thought I was down in News and Politics.
Dave