Uds observation

N2Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've noticed that the one I made from an open lid has much thicker metal than the one I made that was a closed lid. It also holds temps much better. Anyone else experience this??? If all open lid drums are thicker metal, it may be worth the hassle for people to try to use those instead. Seems to make a pretty big difference.

I think it largely depends on the manufacture. The place I get mine from new are all the same thickness.

From my experence i would have to agree that the open head drums are almost always thicker than the closed head drums.. Although im sure it does differ from one manufacturer to another

It all depends on the intended use that the barrel was made and sold for. There are many thicknesses. The ones I buy are very thick, three rib extra heavy new steel. They weigh way over 42 pounds just for the barrel less lid, which is around 14 more than the military spec ones they replaced. I also came up with some smooth side(no ribs) heavy made ones that I'm building now. The so called food grade juice barrels are right at 19 pounds and are usually lined.They mainly carry juices in bags. Wind almost bends them. With the roll made for sealing lid types is why they are stronger. Note the above comments were for 55gallon types. Steve.

Back