Buckboard Bacon Take Two

mwmac

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just put two cured butts on the WSM with some apple chunks. This time around I cured one (6.5lb trimmed/boned) with HiMountain BB cure and one (7.0lb trimmed/boned) with Thirdeye's TQ cure recipe for comparison. Let them cure for 12 days with a 6 hour soak out. Post-smoke/slice pics to follow....

couple questions
why a 6 hour soak?
how long did they set in the frig to equalize ?
are you doing your smoke at smoking temps or at bbq temps on your wsm ?

couple questions
why a 6 hour soak?
how long did they set in the frig to equalize ?
are you doing your smoke at smoking temps or at bbq temps on your wsm ?

1. to remove excess salt after cure.
2. in reefer overnight (15 hours) to equalize and form pellicle.
3. smoked at 200F until 150 internal.

Two pics of the butts just off the smoker before going into fridge for pre-slicing cool down.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Sliced and vacuum packed... 13.5lbs bone-in butts yields 11.75lbs buckboard bacon...hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Man, that looks great...does it really taste like bacon you'd buy at the store?

Man, that looks great...does it really taste like bacon you'd buy at the store?

Absolutely not... much, much better. No excess water that scums/boils off in the pan. You are in control of the flavor..I used coarse black pepper, real maple syrup and some brown sugar. The best BLT imaginable! Try it, you won't regret it. Next time, I am thinking of trying a pork belly for a more traditional bacon.

Absolutely not... much, much better. No excess water that scums/boils off in the pan. You are in control of the flavor..I used coarse black pepper, real maple syrup and some brown sugar. The best BLT imaginable! Try it, you won't regret it. Next time, I am thinking of trying a pork belly for a more traditional bacon.

i just can't think of what that might taste like...i guess all i know is that fatty hickory smoked stuff you get at the store.

please show and tell when you make up your pork belly.

i use pork loin for my buck board bacon.

if you have never had it, the best way i can describe it is the texture of ham with the flavor of bacon. but better.

i use 3rd eye's recipe with great results. it is so easy i always keep some in vacuum packs in the freezer.

Back