Food safety question

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
First of all......you all are costing me a lot of money:wink:. All the rubs, sauces etc. One of the things I bought was a foodsaver.

I'm kinda guessing at the time frame here, but 2-3 weeks ago, I made some cole slaw and had a half head of cabbage left over, I don't use cabbage real frequently, so I vacuum sealed that 1/2 head out of curiosity, to see how it would hold up.

I checked on it from time to time to see how it was holding up. It looked great for a long time, I'm thinking nearly 3 weeks, no black edges, looked nice and fresh.

Today I'm smoking up some country syle pork ribs, I thought that some cole slaw sounded like a great idea. I reached in the vegetable drawer to get the Cabbage, and the vacuum sealed package was blown up like a balloon, squeezed it a little, no detectable leaks, although the color of the cabbage was still good.

I cut the package open, no terrible smell really, strong smell of cabbage and a few leaves were a little wilted. I was going to use it anyway, but I thought.........I really don't know the reason for the "gas" in the bag. I know with canned goods that get old, and the cans expand you have to worry about botulism, which if I remember correctly is anerobic.

Anyway.......I tossed it, even though it didn't look or smell spoiled.
What do you all think?

No big deal really, out a buck for the cabbage, so what. But I was curious from the point of view of you scientific and food safety guys what would cause this to happen?

Thanks,

KC

I do not know from a food safety point of view. But, from a horticultural point of view, as vegetative matter decays, or for that matter, ripens, it out gasses as the cells break down. For the price of cabbage, toss and buy seems a good idea.

Cabbage will keep for weeks in the fridge not vac sealed. Probably okay, but when in doubt....

out gassing....is that anything like farting? LOL

Pull the pin and toss at your competitor. Cabbage Grenade!!!! :-o

Back