MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee

Notices

Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee Welcome to Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee, where you'll find fresh roasted coffees from around the world. I'll be offering single origin coffees and blends as well as some advice and knowledge about the world of specialty coffee.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Default help a java newb the ropes

ok so i read through your general information, and came to some questions..

first off are you hittin the juice straight? no sugar, no cream... nothing extra?

Second is there a certain temp at which coffee is best brewed then served.

(i know with tea's say black tea is typically steeped in boiling water {by some} but green tea if brewed at the same temp will infact "burn" and taste bitter... so it must be brewed at cooler temps to maintain it's flavor integrity, and white tea even lower temps)

on the roast flavor profiles what ...or where do supermarket roasts end up like folgers say... you mentioned that a certain seattle company almost burns the beans.

how do other company's coffee's rank with you (if you even partake anymore) here's a few, organize them for you fave to least

Mcdonalds
Dunkin Donuts
StarSucks
Folgers
Maxwell House
Seattle's Best....
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
ok so i read through your general information, and came to some questions..

first off are you hittin the juice straight? no sugar, no cream... nothing extra?

(i know with tea's say black tea is typically steeped in boiling water {by some} but green tea if brewed at the same temp will infact "burn" and taste bitter... so it must be brewed at cooler temps to maintain it's flavor integrity, and white tea even lower temps)

on the roast flavor profiles what ...or where do supermarket roasts end up like folgers say... you mentioned that a certain seattle company almost burns the beans.

how do other company's coffee's rank with you (if you even partake anymore) here's a few, organize them for you fave to least

Mcdonalds
Dunkin Donuts
StarSucks
Folgers
Maxwell House
Seattle's Best....
Good questions...

I drink brewed coffee black, but I enjoy Lattes and cappuccinos once in a while. The only time I use sweetener is in an espresso in the evening.

Yep. The optimum brewing temperature is between 195 and 205 degrees F. Cooler than 195 the extraction slows and the coffee can be sour, higher than 205 the extraction happens too fast and the coffee can be bitter.

The major grocery store brands all roast very light, typically a cinnamon roast (unless the package says different. Some of them have introduced darker roasts at a premium price). They stick with a cinnamon roast mainly because it takes less time so they can roast more per hour. There are exceptions, of course.

Do I have to do this? I'm going to offend someone, I guarantee it

Seattle's Best - Even though they are owned by Starbucks they have resisted the urge to over roast everything.

Dunkin Donuts - I've tried their whole bean coffee a couple of times. It seems to be fresher than most, but by no means fresh.

Mcdonalds - I've only had their brewed stuff and it is too weak.

StarSucks - Starbucks has actually done more for the specialty coffee industry than anyone else. I feel that their coffee is way over-roasted. All you can taste is the caramelized sugars, not the subtle varietal flavors that come out at the optimal roast level for the bean. In addition, there is no way to determine the roast date of their coffee. The packages have "Use by" dates on them that are typically 18 months after roasting. To me, that;s stale coffee.

Folgers & Maxwell House - I have to lump these together. They primarily sell robusta beans roasted very light, and pre-ground. Robusta beans have a higher caffeine content but much less flavor that Arabica beans. I won't buy any coffee that is pre-ground and I won't buy any coffee that I can't determine the roast date.

Remember, these are just my opinions. If you disagree, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, too. Just don't flame me for mine.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Ok deeper into the temp question...what do you do your majority of brewing with? What temp water does it spit out?

What temp does a say...mr.coffee regularly (as regular can be with various elevation differences) spit water out at? Or do you generally just trust the pot to do wat you bought it for
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am looking for a pot that can give me 195F water reliably, not a coffee maker, just a hot water pot. I am thinking of messing with pour-over coffee next. Think Melitta filters here but, way more snobby.

I prefer to drink coffee, whether black or altered in the luke warm range, yes, I know, scalding hot is the way most drink it. I prefer it just around 120F to 150F at most. And for black coffee, I find I get the best flavor at 150F (stop clutching our chest Ron) it is also the temperature I like testing (not cupping) coffee at.

I have not had most common grocery store brands in a long time, I have had Peet's and Starbucks and find that in my travels to odd spots in CA, there is always a way to get consistent coffee from a Starbucks.

Also, and I get grief for this, I like to cut a bigger hole in my coffee cup lid on both sides so the coffee spills out and pours clean into my mouth, I really hate dribbled coffee and don't always have my travel coffee cup with me. Oooo, hey Ron, how about a review of travel cups and the materials and such.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
swamprb

You guys are opening a big can o' worms here!

A couple years ago right after I finished setting up my Weber 1000/RK Drum Coffee roaster, I went to buy some green beans from a local roaster and was treated to an impromptu cupping session. It was an eye opening and hair raising experience. I didn't care for any of it and am not a black coffee drinker, but looking back it made me appreciate the palates of the experienced cuppers, and then when I roasted a batch of Ethiopian Sidamo and let it rest a few days and poured my first shot of it and the "hint of fresh blueberries" the cupper noted shone through, I felt like I had arrived!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
Ok deeper into the temp question...what do you do your majority of brewing with? What temp water does it spit out?

What temp does a say...mr.coffee regularly (as regular can be with various elevation differences) spit water out at? Or do you generally just trust the pot to do wat you bought it for
Hold that thought. I'm working on a diatribe on brewing techniques and brewers.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

I prefer to drink coffee, whether black or altered in the luke warm range, yes, I know, scalding hot is the way most drink it. I prefer it just around 120F to 150F at most. And for black coffee, I find I get the best flavor at 150F (stop clutching our chest Ron) it is also the temperature I like testing (not cupping) coffee at.
There's nothing wrong with that. I don't like to burn my mouth with the coffee. Also, the coffee flavors change as it cools. I enjoy the cups at all different temperatures. My main concern is the brewing temp.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The only time I use sweetener is in an espresso in the evening.

...just don't flame me...
Sweetener in espresso? Seriously?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Sweetener in espresso? Seriously?
Yeah. Just a little after dinner, like a dessert.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
landarc

Hey DeGuerre, someday, try a espresso shot pulled Cuban style. You will never doubt sweetener in an espresso again.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
deguerre

Would that be similar to a Turkish coffee?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

came across this today and I though Ron et al would find it amusing...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Would that be similar to a Turkish coffee?
Nnnnnope! It is a process whereby the sugar, anywhere from 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, is mixed into the coffee prior to compacting in the basket. Then the espresso is pulled, the sugar caramelizes a bit during the pull. The sweetness is infused into the espresso. I really like cappuccinos prepared this way.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Nnnnnope! It is a process whereby the sugar, anywhere from 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, is mixed into the coffee prior to compacting in the basket. Then the espresso is pulled, the sugar caramelizes a bit during the pull. The sweetness is infused into the espresso. I really like cappuccinos prepared this way.
Hmmmm...I shall remain open minded and try one someday. Thanks Bob.
And when I do, and if I like it, then I'll stop giving Ronelle grief. :)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
parrothead

Black here unless I am having an iced coffee which will always get cream and sometimes sugar. Maybe some chocolate or other flavors as well. Iced coffee is great and the coffee is more of a base flavor that supports everything else.

But black is straight up and I don't know the temperature that I like to drink it at, but I know that my BUNN is too hot for me and my coffee has to set in the cup for a couple of minutes before I can drink it.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote