Jocko's

HogGrog

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Jocko's Steakhouse in Nipomo, CA is a regionally well-known "Santa Maria-style" bbq restaurant. Located near the north end of the Santa Maria Valley on California's Central Coast, Jocko's is a gem and a must-stop if in the area.

It was my first time and won't be the last as I plan to make Jocko's part of an annual pilgramage to CA's bbq holy land...The steak sandwich was very good with the distinct flavor of red oak smoke, unfortunately we arrived about 1:30pm (crowded even on off hrs on a Thur) and the pits don't fire up until 3ish and only the lunch menu available. The thinly sliced and expertly grilled top sirloin, probably cooked the night before, was heated on a flat top, served on buttery toasty bread with fresh pico de gallo and simple but excellent salt, pepper, cumin? flavored pinquitos and fresh side salad. Dang near forgot to take pics until almost done eating it was so good.

I wish I had gotten to see the pits fired up and tasted one of the whole cuts from the dinner menu, next time I will plan better. The giant pits and the enormous stack of red oak is an impressive sight. Afterward I spent the weekend in a campground nearby the SM Valley, the firewood vendor sold red oak only.:thumb: At some point my wife asked why the campground smelled so sweet. There is something special about the smell of multiple red oak campfires and the taste of grilled open-fire red oak ember cooking.

Attachments

• ysVS6MXKTwWtvQWZfCS%iw.jpg
    ysVS6MXKTwWtvQWZfCS%iw.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 5DdGK5vmRvuz9oJ0mWqVdQ.jpg
    5DdGK5vmRvuz9oJ0mWqVdQ.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Oq7SfS+fRoWQa%FmThjGrA.jpg
    Oq7SfS+fRoWQa%FmThjGrA.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 113
  • R6kEa+U%Q%GTK85MFF55zw.jpg
    R6kEa+U%Q%GTK85MFF55zw.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 113
  • t7NrrQPaQyqx5bNdlFkvMA.jpg
    t7NrrQPaQyqx5bNdlFkvMA.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 112
  • fullsizeoutput_12ea.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_12ea.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 114
By far my favorite restaurant. A dinner there is definitely worth the trip. Reservations are a must and you’ll still probably have to wait a bit, but worth it. Prices are reasonable and portions are really good. Hope you get to go back.

Been there a couple times and love that place! Watching the cook do his thang is pretty incredible. That's where I saw the value of a pigtail flipper vs. tongs for high volume cooking - no time to be squeezing and releasing tongs. They cook over a blazing fire with the grate pretty high up, which gives a great crust to the steaks, ribs, etc.

And yeah, the crowd is no joke - get reservations or think about going somewhere else.

Thanks for sharing HG. On my list for sure. Couldn't make the trek last time with Greg, Phubar and Padawan going up north to the Norcal Bash.

I got there too early also they were just firing up the pits, gotta get back up there soon

Back