MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Announcements and news

Notices

Announcements and news Any Site or group related General Information you want passed on to our members. Site admins and moderators will also post group related topics here.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
jacob
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bobby

I'm in; Thanks
Courtesy of Ray Lampe
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #32
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wait....you mean to tell me there IS a Complaints Dept.? All this time time I've been holding it in!

Whew! I feel better now!

Thanks for keepin' it on track Phil, Jorge, and all the Mods. I'd sure miss this place if it were gone.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #33
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Phil and all the mods. This is the one place I have to go to everyday at least when I can find the time. I been a member for years but I don't talk much, I try to listen to what everyone has to say.

Thanks again Phil and I know this came from the heart as I know you as the great person you are.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #34
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

Its just not that hard to be NICE! But some people can't. That is life.
My thanks go out to Phil and all of the Mods.
This is a great forum and I look forward to the future with this group.
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #35
smoken don
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice post sir! New to posting and will take it to heart.
uds and proud of it
Never confuse kindness for weakness
smoken don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #36
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Hi. My name is Ryan, and I am a know-it-all asshat. I also over-use "...'s" to end too many of my sentences. For this I am sorry...

With that on the table, we should all be able to step back and laugh at ourselves and realize that Al Gore's interwebs do not revolve around you...

Lemme tell ya a story about why I think this place is so amazing... About 2 months ago I posted a thread about needing some help in Orlando, FL. My dad & I would be traveling from the west coast to FL and I needed a weber kettle and a UDS to display at a trade show there.

In no time at all, I had folks offering up their treasured and well loved cookers to a total stranger (and weirdo) that has only been a member (some might say nusance ) here since October!

That's not all! 1 of them (Paul B) re-scheduled a family get-together so that he could drive from Daytona Beach (70 miles each way) not just to deliver his drum on wednesday evening, but drive back and pick it up on saturday afternoon too!

Then Augie drops everything and takes his kettle for a nice 45 min drive to deliver and then pick it up. Amazing, just amazing.

Even weeks after I thought Guerry had killed the thread, someone would resurrect it and another handfull of people would offer to help!
I had to turn people down! That sucked cuz it meant there was another brethren that I wouldn't get to meet!

I godda tell ya', I've never been a member of any other forum or posted a single word on a site until this one (I assumed everyone else on the internet was at least as big of an ass-clown as I am) And there is no way that there is a better bunch of folks than there is here.

And now we know why! We have an incredible team of mods and Poobahs that care about every single person that drops by. No one here is just another IP address, we all have names, faces, family's and 14,000 friends.

Now, I would like to see more threads from Phil... I feel like us noobs are kinda gettin ripped off, you know, margarita pork butts, Dr. Pepper parties and such... sure, we could all "use the search key" and probably have days worth of reading, but it would be way more fun for everyone to see new adventures!

Oh and BTW - I never would have joined here if it wasn't for swamprb suggesting it. All his fault.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #37
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

A few years ago when I was new to this forum. We were having a problems with a member. He ended up being banned. When it was brought to the general membership's attention I wrote the following:

"This is the first forum I have ever joined and am proud to be a member. I would be devastated if I did something to offend someone here and then be banned. I know we are all adults here and know the difference between right and wrong. I think that is missing from forums where "anything goes" Those places you feel protected by anonymity and say what ever you want with out taking responsibility for your statements.

That is what I truly like about this forum. Everyone of us is held accountable for our post. If you are not adult enough to take responsibility for your post then this is not a forum you will like."

Phil thanked me for the post and to this day I stand by this statement.

Thank you Phil and Moderators.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #38
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Thanks Phil, Mods, Members, et. all,.

I am one of those who still post threads under the "Look what I have done" category, and I thrive on the feedback. Those of you who encourage me have stimulated my creative side with my cooking, and I love it! Thank you!

I have watched, with interest, how the number showed for how many of us are looking at Q-Talk at a time has grown, and known by that, that our membership was a lot larger than 1.5 years ago when I started here. I wondered at the work and cost of maintaing and upgrading our system to accomodate what we have become and what we will evolve to. It's obvious that the job is made harder and more difficult to moderate as we grow. (Caring for one child is tough, but try running a very large pre-school... That is the parallel that came to mind.)

I, for one, will try to moderate my own posts, and remember that I am under an obligation of choice. I am obligated to give away in life, that which was given freely to me; To wit, the advise and counsel of knowledgable and generous souls who landed on this planet b4 me.

Thank you.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #39
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Phil's post makes me think of which category I fall into, and, sadly, I realize it's not the one I prefer to consider myself a part of. This is due to circumstances in life, etc., not wanting to bore people with every single photo I take (trust me, I take many, many more than I post!).

I will say that some of the truest people I know are part of my life because of this place, and I need to step it up a bit, too. I don't think I'm one of those hat things (isn't that a tattoo on a woman's lower back?).

Thanks for the reminders, Phil.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #40
MTHank
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Grand Poobah for this post… and "THIS SITE"

Maybe I have offended some on here, I don't really know... If I have you have my sincere apology(s) and that may attribute to the replies I get when I asked that “question that has already been discussed” and I get told so by a Brethren member. My fault for not using “search” or “FAQ”… My apology again. Maybe I took these answers to seriously because I see other discuss questions in depth over and over, so I don’t visit this site as often as I used to. I am still interested in the back yard cooking and I will get back to finishing my UDS and try to “search” for my questions “before” I ask! And thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past… Being no expert to “Qing” I won’t be able to help with answers (sorry!), but I really do appreciate the help.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Weber Kettle Gold – 22 ½”[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22 1/2" UDS[/FONT] (aka 55 gal)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smokie Joe[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones[/FONT]
MTHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #41
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHank View Post
Maybe I have offended some on here, I don't really know... If I have you have my sincere apology(s) and that may attribute to the replies I get when I asked that “question that has already been discussed” and I get told so by a Brethren member. My fault for not using “search” or “FAQ”… My apology again. Maybe I took these answers to seriously because I see other discuss questions in depth over and over, so I don’t visit this site as often as I used to. I am still interested in the back yard cooking and I will get back to finishing my UDS and try to “search” for my questions “before” I ask! And thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past… Being no expert to “Qing” I won’t be able to help with answers (sorry!), but I really do appreciate the help.
Bro, I hope you will reconsider and just ask your questions because, I think in your asking, you will have addressed the heart of Phil's comments. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #42
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHank View Post
Thanks Grand Poobah for this post… and "THIS SITE"

According to Poobah Phil, asking questions that may come up in a search *shouldn't* be looked upon as a bad thing. I personally find it kind of annoying when someone asks a question that was answered very clearly in the previous page of the current thread, but I'd never call him on it. I think what Phil's saying is don't be afraid to ask a question if you can't *quickly* find the answer to it. I've been in forums before where I felt considerable pressure to search and search for an answer before asking a question because more often than not, the answer to the question would be "been there, done that... use the search button ya n00b!" Pretty annoying, and not conducive to free-flowing dialog! I'm definitely with Phil on this one, and appreciate his perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
As a sidebar, another pet peeve of mine regarding questions being asked by members;
The response "use the search button" to a person asking a question, in my eyes is pure bullchit. With a million posts to search thru, and some of the information being 7 years old, that search can and will pull up so many answers, it's impossible to tell what may or may not apply today. I for one will give a different answer today about a cooking technique that I may have given 3 years ago. My experience, my equipment, my techniques all may have changed. The correct thing to do is offer an answer, and possibly link back to some supporting archived information. But do NOT shoot the person down for asking the question.
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #43
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That is an amazing post Phil. Very well written and thought out. You and ALL of the MODs do a tremendous job. This is a Great Place. A Place that one can call home and be part of a very large and fun family. Thank You
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #44
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Phil, I love this place of ours.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #45
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Phil
I am one of the newest (1 week) members of this form. So far I have read many, many posts and have even posted a few replys.
I was refered to this forum by "Cowgirl" because "it was a very freindly and happy group." It has been a great place to "hang out" and learn stuff.....Many THANKS to you and all of the folks that started and kept this thing going so that we who are new to the craft can reap the benefits of your hard work.

Thanks Again
Rick
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote