wow... it took since saturday but i finished the entire thread! gonna/gotta get a drum and get a uds done. have a wsm and thought that was the shizzle but no longer. must... have... drum....

cheers.......

I bought a used drum for $20 that had corn syrup in it. It has the tan paint liner in it. I read about 39 pages of this thread and didn't find an answer to my question so here's my question. When you burn out the inside paint will it crack & peal off or do you need to sand it off after the burn?

Thanks,
Phred

Phred...Pretty sure you're still going to need to do the wire wheel exercise on the inside after the burn.
Need to be down to bare metal beofre the seasoning run.

Phred...Pretty sure you're still going to need to do the wire wheel exercise on the inside after the burn.
Need to be down to bare metal beofre the seasoning run.
This is the sure, safe, commonly accepted advice... Too much work for a $20 drum – IMHO.

The low-effort – Thawley approved – method is to get the paint to just peal off the inside. For that you need a LOT of heat. You'll never get enough from a fire built inside the drum. The fire just can't get enough oxygen in there for a really REALLY hot burn.

I burned the Ultimate Ugly Drum Smoker™ from the outside in. Just got me a genuine HF weed burner, a full tank of propane, one of them nonflammable Budweisers and put the hurt on it. Once cooled the paint flaked right off with a stiff wire brush. And I had another beer.

Unless you're after that oh-so-desirable antique patina, it's probably best to paint it before winter.

UDS-11.jpg

This is the sure, safe, commonly accepted advice... Too much work for a $20 drum – IMHO.

The low-effort – Thawley approved – method is to get the paint to just peal off the inside. For that you need a LOT of heat. You'll never get enough from a fire built inside the drum. The fire just can't get enough oxygen in there for a really REALLY hot burn.

I burned the Ultimate Ugly Drum Smoker™ from the outside in. Just got me a genuine HF weed burner, a full tank of propane, one of them nonflammable Budweisers and put the hurt on it. Once cooled the paint flaked right off with a stiff wire brush. And I had another beer.

Unless you're after that oh-so-desirable antique patina, it's probably best to paint it before winter.

UDS-11.jpg

Agree...too much work. Not a job I would wish on anyone that's for sure. If you have the opportunity to torch then torch.
Bottom line is you're looking for the most efficient way to get to bare metal.
Good luck and remember to show picks!

Propane costs money.
Free wood does not.
I have burned out 5 drums with the tan liner.
Burn some wood.
Burn somemore wood.
Look and realize you forgot about fire.
Burn some more.
Nice long hot...........fire and most of the liner will be gone.
I have noticed where there are flakes, there is still liner left.
Where smooth black, no liner.
Wire the flakes and good to go.
Average burn 1-3 hour havin fun.
Average wire wheel experience, inside and out. 1 hour
Have fun

Trouble with a burn like that in a city environment is a visit from the fire Dept for sure.

I guess that could be a problem, also do not burn drum within 5 feet of house, brick or not. Soffit and fascia tend to warp/buckle :)
So I've heard......

White plastic fencing seems to warp too....not that I ever did it....no pictures, so I guess it didn't really happen. :shock:

ok, what would others do: be patient and wait for a score on stainless lined drum or rush out and get a regular ol' lined drum right away and burn it out? i have a wsm but i also have issues with being patient.

cheers......

ok, what would others do: be patient and wait for a score on stainless lined drum or rush out and get a regular ol' lined drum right away and burn it out? i have a wsm but i also have issues with being patient.
Me too. And spending money.

BURN it...

like this stainless is nice but very hard to cut and drill

Attachments

• side veiw of pellet drum.jpg
    side veiw of pellet drum.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,197
Buy it and burn it...no need to wait. I didn't even take a wire brush to mine. I burned it, burned it again, and took the burner to it. If all of that didn't get it off, it wasn't coming off at 225.

Back