MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
gsmith140
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question High Heat Brisket Temp

Going to try a high heat brisket (flat only) this weekend. Never tried this method before, and have been reading up on it. The cook temps from different posts seem to vary quite a bit though, I've seen 275 at the low end at 375 at the high so I'm not sure what to try. Anyone care to make an argument for either end of this range or somewhere in between?
gsmith140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's all preference. I shoot for 300-325ish and I foil at 170 internal. i like the outcome and so do the area judges.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I will put it this way.... the odds of you being satisfied with HH begin to taper down after 300 DEPENDING ON YOUR GEAR!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest anyone who has been cooking under 245 to try it in increments instead of tackling 350. Here is why. Once again some people luck out and get a good one at 350-375. But that has a lot to do with gear.

If you are used to pretty much used to ignoring the brisket for 12 hours or more... then cooking it a fussing and probing it in hours 13 - 18... then you will have to make a BIG attitude adjustment for HH. Your brisket, the higher temp you intend to tackle, will be deliriously done quicker and into the over cook land before you know whats going on. So I suggest STARTING at 270-300 FIRST.

Master that... then try 350.

Also, the higher you cook... the more you have to forget about the whole foiling thing. Forget it.

Lastly, ribs that work beautifully with lower temp cooks and foil have to be abandoned and new ones created.

I would conquer each new deviation on brisket with going back to basic large grained salt pepper and maybe ONE or TWO of your favorite flavor profiles. Once you master the texture and tenderness you can tweak the flavor profile.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
gsmith140
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the advice- sounds like trying it on the lower end might be safe for the first attempt!
gsmith140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

good move.. Donnie's advice above makes a lot of sense.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
JD McGee

300-325 here...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Grinder10
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone here successfully done this on a WSM?
Grinder10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder10 View Post
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=87343

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=66185

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76282
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder10 View Post
Every competition...

This may help... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77065
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Every competition...

This may help... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77065
Thanks!, I forgot about that post and have included it in my "high heat brisket" folder
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
300-325 here...
Hi JD, Do you use any other high heat method besides the one you posted from the virtual weber site. I hate to say this and you know me. There are to many ingrediants in the recipe.

I will lose my train of thought before I get halfway through.

Saiko, I gotta try Popdaddy also.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Ceedubya
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's my take, I do what I refer to as a hybrid method.

I start out in the 250-275 range, trying to stay closer to the 250. I believe this gives me a nice smokering still. Once I hit between 160 and 170 internal, or until I am happy with the color, I foil with some liquid. At this point I open it up and turn up the heat. I shoot for 325 to 350. My cooker can make this jump fairly easy.

I figure that once its in the foil low and slow doesn't really matter any more. Also, it seems to rocket through the plateau stage. I take the brisket to around 195 internal. This is an average, I still use the probe to check for overall tenderness. Once I am satisfied with the the interanal temp and tenderness, its back out of the foil and back onto the cooker at the higher temp. This seems to firm the bark back up and give it a little more color.

I will say here that when you take it out of the foil, it will usually drop back down in internal temp. So it may be awhile yet out of the foil for it to finish. I try to finish between 195 and 200, using the probe to check for tender.

I honestly believe that when doing the high temp brisket, foil is a must. But thats JMHO.

I have been doing it this way for a long time now, and have not only had fantastic results, but much more consitent results.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Been cooking HH Briskets since last year based off the same information on the Weber Virtual Bullet site, but using my UDS. Here's my take,

325-350 until it hits 160-165 (usually about 2.5 hours)
FOIL
350-400 until the probe slides in like a hot knife through warm butter (usually about 1.5 - 1.6 hours)
PULL, put in cooler wrapped in towels.

As kevin krueger from WVB states, forget about finishing temp, it's done when it's done. Haven't had one go beyond 4 hours 15 Minutes total cook time yet.

Now, that's the way I do things on a UDS, i've YET to even come close to replicating Popdaddy's results using his HH method. One day maybe, but not yet.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #14
swamprb

I'm not gonna argue with DonnieT or my cookin' pardner JD, but, if you can get your bullet up to 350*, try this method I call "brain dead brisket".

I fire up my WSM with a torch and open the all the vents 100%, prop the door open and let it rip, toss a few wood chunks on and put the meat on. Let it get a heavy smoke for @ 2 hours and then foil for an hour and check the temps or go by feel after the 3 hour mark, and check every half hour. We have had Kobe flats pop in 3.5 hours

Whole packers @4.5 hours!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Brain dead LOL Love that.

I will add some things I see here. For one, I completely think some time setting the smoke ring is a great idea. Now obviously when I put on like 50 briskets, the mass of that meat ensures I almost can do nothing to screw up the smoke ring... i don't care if the pit is 300... the mass will keep it down around the zone where the briskets are.

So this means if your doing like just one then starting at lower temps is a great idea. However, you do not really need to wait until the stall. One thing I have learned is, and I have said this repeatedly, it matters little how you START off your brisket and more how you FINISH it off. Lets draw a line at the stall. Obviously at HH temps, the brisket still has a stall but whizzes by it much faster. In addition, LOL I think its better because the PSYCHOLOGICAL effect of the stall fark with the novices brain a bit as he/she tends to check and poke the meat repeatedly fretting about the IT -- which often tends to lower the moisture and heat of the house temp from opening and closing the pit. Now how can I draw a a parallel everyone can understand.

Okay, I got one, imagine once again your hot 17 year 3rd cousin at the family reunion. Now she has some of those boobies that are perky and kinda point upward and you just can't keep your hands off of them.. all the time you are staring at them and touching them and at first she likes it... while you are banging her by the tree on the lake you are either are looking to see your wife or kids don't catch you or looking at her boobs. So what happens... she begins to feel "like you are not connecting with her and I feel like a damn piece of meat" and she tells you you don't treat her like you did when she was younger and drops you like a bad habit. Well briskets are like that. That can turn bad on ya and dry up if you obsess with them too much and there is no amount of astroglide that will moisten up their nooks and crannies.

Okay... anyway. Once you are after the hump... we are back to the brisket again... you can ease off if you want... also take consideration of this... those of us who blast the house temp all the way through the cook often also have a holding pattern afterward that continues to work on the meat. To illustrate this when I do my "Big Chop" event I cook maybe 50 packers and pull them when they are basically pretty tender for the most part. I wrap them cool enough so the plastic wrap will not melt and pop them in my huge holder at about 160-170. Now I have served a brisket to a crew when I pull them and the fat layer is still there in between the flat and the point. about 6-7 hours later (i pull them round midnight, pop them in the holder and start the sale the next morning) that area is nearly devoid of all its fat and jelly and water is left in its place. A lot of work happens after you pull it. I have seen the same thing go on in a chest as it holds but be careful in a chest especially throwing it in without cooling or throwing more hot ones on top as you can overcook it. Of course... for a crowd of hungry eaters... you will have more fans of brisket that is slightly over tender than if you did the same at a competition. That's due to people not giving two flips about their brisket holding together if its cut pencil width etc.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:31 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote