Long Smoke

RamHemiTX

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usually smoke my briskets at 250°. I decided to try 200°. Well, 12 hours later, it is nowhere near done. I just pulled it wrapped it in about 4 layers of foil and put it back in the UDS. Off to buy more charcoal. I used my last 8 pounds to get this far. Not sure if it will last till the cow is done so I need some reserves just in case I have to refuel....

The party is at 6:00. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I would have no shame in using the oven to finish.

Good luck.

Given a 6PM serving time and the fact you've already got it in foil, you might as well toss it in the oven at 350 degrees.

lesson learned - don't experiment if you're cooking for others at a set time.

good luck.

It already has 8 hours of smoke so yup no shame in loading it in the oven till done.

I decided that since the uds is already a smokin, I might as well throw some more flesh on it. So I am experimenting with some dove breasts. Jalapeno stuffed and bacon wrapped.

Thoughs little dove breast are the bestis that way. I have not tried on the uds just a friends big smoker.

Ranhemitx...................................;}-

Planning:idea: The first step in doing a Cook.I know,I sound like a know-it-all,but I do.LMAO
Actually, my first thought on a cook is how much time will I need? I figure @ 1.5hrs. per pound of meat,with as few lookys as possible. When you're looking , you're not cooking.Besides you extend the coking time with each peek. If you don't trust yourself, get a probe thermo.
If you intend to do a big piece of meat,be prepared to spend the time it needs to get done right. You spend good money for the priviledge of making a good meal,make it worthwhile.
Have fun and,
SMOKE HAPPY,
Stan aka BBQFANS:>-

oven is your friend at this point...after all, once wrapped, the brisket has no idea if it is in the oven or on the smoker..save the charcoal and into the oven....or, start trying some higher temp cooks:)

I am not a peeker. Once the meat is in I don't lift the lid for 11 hours. I have yet to have a butt, shoulder or brisket done in less than 12 hours. I ended up using the oven and it turned out great. I will try the next smoke at 200° and just allow 3-4 extra hours. I know that if it gets done I can just leave it in the cooler. The dove turned out great as well.

How did it all turn out for you? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

It was not quite as tender as I had hoped. I know it just needed to cook a little longer. But in the end, there was not a single slice left for me to take back home. It got rave reviews from all of the neighbors.

Back