Two 10 Pound Butts w/ Pron

BadHorsieBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I found Two 10 pound pork butts in a cryo pac at my local store. They were about .90 cents a pound, So I bought them. I usually buy them at Sams but decided to take a chance on these. They have quite a bit more fat on them than the ones from Sams, but looked ok. I have them rubbed down and will slap them on the UDS tomorrow morning. Sorry for poor quality Picture.

DSC00001.jpg

Awww yehhh! Love me some butt! Gotta say, used to run 'em in the 5-7 lb. range, but 10 lbs. is way better!

Good luck!

Sounds like an early start to your Saturday, but will end with good eats!

That's some big butts. Enjoy your day of smoking.

How long do you like to cook 'em? About an hour a pound or so? Or do you just go by internal temperature?

I'm gonna throw a butt on tomorrow too, as well as a couple racks of ribs. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pics too!

How long do you like to cook 'em? About an hour a pound or so? Or do you just go by internal temperature?

I'm gonna throw a butt on tomorrow too, as well as a couple racks of ribs. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pics too!

I am going by internal temperature.

Finally got the coals lit. I am way behind. Got into a little fight last night with some Samuel Adams Cream Stout. I am licking my wounds and finally getting things going.

I just learned a little something about my UDS (this being my second real cook on it). There is about a 6 degree difference between my temp gauge on the side and temps at grate level. Besides that everything going well.

Last edited:

Plan on 90 minutes per pound at 225 - 240 degrees pit temp. If they are done early you can hold them in a dry cooler, wrapped in foil, and then wrapped in towels or clean newspaper for insulation. they will stay hot for hours this way.

Also, time and internal temp are just guidelines. Each piece of meat is unique with different marbling and different amounts of connective tissue to break down. It is done when it is done :-D One of the best way to tell if it is done is by feel. When you probe goes into the butt like it is going into warm butter then the butt is done. The internal temp may be 185 or it may be 205, or it may be anywhere in between.

Looks good! Good choice in beer, too! I'm doin my first butts next weekend. I'll be paying close attention.

Rolling right along. Pulled and wrapped in foil almost an hour and a half ago. patiently waiting.

you can't do this in competition but you sure can at home, cut them in half and increase your amount of bark and decrease your cooking time....:idea:

What he said ^^^^^

Mmmm....pork butts...gotta wait til next weekend to get me some, though :mad:

Here we go after a rest in the cooler.
P4090696.jpg

After pulling there were two huge bowls.
P4090698.jpg

All in all it went really well. I am very pleased at the results . It took me a little longer to pull it since it had a little more fat that needed to be picked out. Theses were the best Butts I have done to date. The UDS preformed up to its reputation. The only thing that I will do different is the charcoal I used. I used the last bag of my original Kingsford stash in todays cook. I was not impressed. I had to use the shaker rod to shake the basket way to much. I am going to use the Stubb's Briquettes from here on out in the UDS. I Just seems to perform better and leaves way less ash to clean up. I had fun today and Now I will relax and treat myself to a nice home brew.

Last edited:
Back