Castor Oil UDS Burn out.

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So this is one of thos kind of weird things that comes up once in awhile. I got another UDS I am making and it's from a drum that used to contain Castor Oil. The big question I have is, I had to burn out the drum but, being that what was in it was basically an organic oil, do I have to go through seasoning it once again? Thoughts, ideas, opinions? :confused:

I did the burn out because my FIL/welder believed there might have been a coating on the inside that wouldn't allow for him to get a good ground for his welding. Well, I did build a fire in it last night, most of the paint burned off on the outside but, it ended up just mainly looking seasoned on the inside, no real bare metal spots at all. So, it looks like there wasn't a liner or coating aside from the oil itself. I'll have to wait until next weekend to find out how weldable the whole thing is. Then I'll have Twins! They're going to be more like fraternal ones though. :-D

Can you do a burn out with a Weed Burner?
(No Hijacking Intended)

Yes, I've done one burn out w/ a wee burner and it was fine, this one I started doing w/ a weed burner but, ran out of fuel. :laugh: So I figured instead of running out and dropping another $30.00+ for a full tank that I would just build a fire w/ some scrap oak and birch. Throw in some newspaper and a bit of cardboard and voila! Lots cheaper in the end.

I used an unlined drum that had food grade mineral oil. after my burn it was seasoned pretty good since it held oil. I washed it out with tide and hot water to get anything out then seasoned it. I don't think I really needed to season it, didn't look any different after the wash out.

What's does the seasoning process consist of....I have already done a three day burn out...Don't mean to hijack this thread by-the-way!!! Peppa

Seasoning in general consists of coating the bare steel with cooking oils or fats and then exposing them to high heat until there becomes a dark layer on the metal. Like w/ cast iron or a wok. The process protects the metal and keeps it from corroding but also it will capture the flavors of what you then cook in the cooker and during each consecutive cooking will add these flavors into everything you cook. In the case of cast iron and woks it also aids in producing a non-stick type surface. Or, at least that's how I understand it, so that is why the whole question of burn out and re-seasoning being required came up to begin with. :)

Why not season it with a couple fatties just for good measure? Just sayn'

Back