MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Question tri-level rub, no foil in comps....how'd u do?

To all the competitors out there, whats been the the best method for you regarding Brisket in comps?

In the thread below I just did a brisket utilizing the tri-level rub, cooked at 300+ and used no foil during any of the process. It turned out really nice but I guess the only down fall would be the lack of dripping to potentially mix with sauce. Has anybody out there utilized this method and done well in comps?

We have out first comp in April and was just trying to find the best method.

Thanks!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77975
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I never use the brisket drippings, possibly great flavors yes, but also potentially burnt bitter flavors. There are many other ways to get a great sauce for brisket.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

And if you really needed 'drippings', you could put a foil pan beneathe the brisket, perhaps.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
I never use the brisket drippings, possibly great flavors yes, but also potentially burnt bitter flavors. There are many other ways to get a great sauce for brisket.
correct, the drippings can get all funky. I think the drippings help keep the end product moist.

as far as a cooking style figure out what works best for your type of pit. not everything J.O.S. does works for everyone else.

good luck.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post
To all the competitors out there, whats been the the best method for you regarding Brisket in comps?

In the thread below I just did a brisket utilizing the tri-level rub, cooked at 300+ and used no foil during any of the process. It turned out really nice but I guess the only down fall would be the lack of dripping to potentially mix with sauce. Has anybody out there utilized this method and done well in comps?

Thanks!

Personally I am still not confident enough to try one at a contest I have done 3 briskets and two pork butts with this method and each time I am finding the bark to be so tough I have a very hard time cutting it with out ripping or smashing it, so it would not make for a good looking box, My knives are very sharp, I even tried an electric knife and It was much worse. The inner meat was fine and very tasty but the bark sucked. Foil mite help but I really try hard not to use it and I did not even achieve a true High heat cook barely getting up to 300 at any time.

So unless you have got it down I would not recommend it until you do.

What contest are you doing?
Dave

Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Personally I am still not confident enough to try one at a contest I have done 3 briskets and two pork butts with this method and each time I am finding the bark to be so tough I have a very hard time cutting it with out ripping or smashing it, so it would not make for a good looking box, My knives are very sharp, I even tried an electric knife and It was much worse. The inner meat was fine and very tasty but the bark sucked. Foil mite help but I really try hard not to use it and I did not even achieve a true High heat cook barely getting up to 300 at any time.

So unless you have got it down I would not recommend it until you do.

What contest are you doing?
Dave
Hey Dave,

I totally agree with the bark being hard to cut. I just pulls apart way to easily. I was impressed how tender the meat was though. But your right, it wouldn't make a very nice box.

Were going to be at the Kick off Cook off in Hazelwood, Mo in April.

Jon

Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

For comps I wonder about the color of briskets that haven't been foiled. I tend to foil in order to protect color. Perhaps someone who actually knows something about winning at comps can comment about this aspect of foiling?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Im with monty, however i only foil my briskets if I need to preserve the color, they will go back on, unfoiled to firm them back up thou.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

I replied in your original thread that it looked fantastic and I mean that.

With that said...One thing you need to know though is that unfortunately, great home cooking, traditional methods etc. and contest cooking are more often than not two different animals.

I'd dare to say that no contest cook has tried Donnie's tri-level rub in comp. A few reasons 1) it's only been shared more recently 2) many of the comp cooks who frequent this forum don't get too involved in the Q-talk section 3) most of the comp cooks that do well already have a brisket method that works for them and likely will not make a drastic change for the heck of it.

Like it or not, many winning comp briskets are dominated with injections like with FAB-B, Butcher's, Kosmo's etc. Rubs in many cases are the commercial variety like Smokin' Guns, Slabs Wow your Cow, Bovine Bold, Head Country etc.. Sauce is often applied with a commercial variety too.. Foil is a staple during the cook. Many will add a seasoned beefy type flavored marinade (ex. Rick's Sinful Marinade recipe, Head Country Marinade, ) to the foil during the cook or while it rests.

So.. Can you do well without any/all of the above ? Possibly.. There are some great teams who do it with the basics as well.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 02-12-2010 at 06:57 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I replied in your original thread that it looked fantastic and I mean that.

With that said...One thing you need to know though is that unfortunately, great home cooking, traditional methods etc. and contest cooking are more often than not two different animals.

I'd dare to say that no contest cook has tried Donnie's tri-level rub in comp. A few reasons 1) it's only been shared more recently 2) many of the comp cooks who frequent this forum don't get too involved in the Q-talk section 3) most of the comp cooks that do well already have a brisket method that works for them and likely will not make a drastic change for the heck of it.

Like it or not, many winning comp briskets are dominated with injections like with FAB-B, Butcher's, Kosmo's etc. Rubs in many cases are the commercial variety like Smokin' Guns, Slabs Wow your Cow, Bovine Bold, Head Country etc.. Sauce is often applied with a commercial variety too.. Foil is a staple during the cook. Many will add a seasoned beefy type flavored marinade (ex. Rick's Sinful Marinade recipe, Head Country Marinade, ) to the foil during the cook or while it rests.

So.. Can you do well without any/all of the above ? Possibly.. There are some great teams who do it with the basics as well.
Thanks Vinny, you make many good points and I appreciate your thought process!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post

Thanks!

Pans

Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I seriously was gonna tell y'all how to fix the Bark problem until someone said it Sucked. I have mentioned the solution a few times and surprised no one is suggesting it, or what they know I do.

If you miss my crucial step, well when I miss my last step, even my slicers threaten to walk out. It dulls a knife.

I would be surprise if this ever did well in competition. It did well years ago, but then the judges were different.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

I used the tri-level dirty dalmatian in my very first competition and took 1st out of 44 teams. Granted it was a backyard comp, but still 1st out of 44 aint bad. Now i just have to try it with the secret injection.